Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV - October 18/21, 2022

MoS

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After Mox, that's AEW cementing its basis in term of what the promotion is all about : those who made it since day one. I sure hope the Elite will come back and stay around too, although at this point I would not be that surprised to see them show up in WWE which would be absolutely hilarious on every level for the reactions of the WWE stans alone (ya know, don't know how to work, not real stars, all that good shit). Also, positive locker room atmosphere as opposed to toxic people.

And yeah, Mox vs Hangman will bang, as you young people put it.

Also, Toni Storm is right. Gotta do away with the Interim bullshit. This has served no purpose in the grand scheme of things, only made confusing situations more confusing (see also : Mox after Punk). She wasn't the one to win it when she did (Hayter was), but the fact it's hammered down that she's "interim" has really hurt the perception of her as a star. This Interim shit needs to go. The champ is out, then the belt is vacated, and the next one to win it is the champ.

I honestly don't understand the hang-up over interim titles. Crowning an interim champion while the champ is out and having a unification match when the champ returns vs. vacating the title and crowning a new champion with the former champ getting a title shot as soon as they return is a distinction without a difference, especially in a worked sport.

Because "Interim champ" sounds like shit. It makes the person holding it secondary, not entirely validated, it makes it look like nothing really matters until the REAL champ comes back, and then we have to have automatically an "unification" match, making things until then pretty meaningless. If the interim champ wins, then why not have them be the legit champ to begin with; if they lose then oh well they really weren't the champs and their reign ends up kinda worthless as they were just used a placeholder.

There was never any need for this in pro-wrestling before. I don't care if that's what they do in MMA, no one cares. Vacating the champion and having a new one makes everything clear and simple : the champ is the champ and there's no need to wait for the former champ to come back to actually do something with them, it's just gonna be some angle in the future *if necessary*. Not the same thing in term of booking and perception.

Also, it seems like Toni Storm is legit annoyed by it. Mox sure sounded legit annoyed with it. Sounds counterproductive on every level, for no good reason apart from "but MMA does it".

3 hours ago, Timbo Slice said:

From what was reported after the Punk/Elite stuff, he was supposedly a big reason the locker room bounced back so I’m not surprised. 

3 hours ago, El-P said:

After Mox, that's AEW cementing its basis in term of what the promotion is all about 

Yeah, I think we all need to realize, regardless of our personal feelings about their work, that Jericho, Danielson and Moxley are literally the main reasons why the ship did not sink after Punk and the Elite got suspended. They are fundamental to AEW's existence, they are why AEW thrives. Tony Khan would be the biggest idiot in the world if he does not get back all three of them. They have been there when AEW strongly needed a strong ancher, a solid rower to trammel past the troubled waters. Much as we might hate to admit it (each of us in respect of different people amongst those three), they really are the heart and soul of AEW. 

2 minutes ago, MoS said:

They are fundamental to AEW's existence, they are why AEW thrives. Tony Khan would be the biggest idiot in the world if he did not get back all three of them.

I would LOVE for Danielson to re-sign with AEW after his contract ends, but I doubt he will. You never know though, but to me guys like him and Regal probably will end up back in WWE at one point, with Paul & Shawn at the helm of the main roster and NXT. I selfishly don't want it, but I would be surprised if Danielson doesn't chose to end his career in WWE, which was his home for so long. 

But yeah, the one thing that probably was undersold in all the wild signings is to actually constitute a locker room that works well together. Of course when things go well, everyone is happy. But still, it's obvious some presences aren't a good fit for AEW's locker room, nothing to do with their in-ring talent or potential star power. We've seen how CM Punk ended up being a bad idea, how guys like Black or Andrade basically only went to AEW because they got fired from WWE but really preferred to be in WWE. And this is the stuff we can't really grasp, because a lot of this knowledge is totally unknown to the outside world except when something like the last few debacles happen. I remember Kevin Sullivan talking about this in an old KC shoot, how there was a lot more than just making matches and angles to managing a locker room, and this is the stuff that only is known through interpersonal relationships.

Re: Creative Control.

Saraya on Jericho's podcast isn't really necessary to listen to but it was interesting when she said she came into TV and had an idea for Khan and he basically told her. "Great! I wish you told me last week. We're all booked/plotted/marked for this week, but we can do it next week!" but then she wasn't going to be at TV next week (which was this last week), and then Jericho, just talking to her conversationally said that he usually goes to Khan with a month worth of ideas ahead of time and that's how they plan things out. My guess is that he's now being paid to help other talents organize their month of ideas to present to Khan, basically, on top of his own. People will go to Jericho now and say they have X, Y, Z ideas and he'll help organize things to present it to Khan like he would.

That's just a guess though.

We've heard from Saraya that she was frustrated with her first promo back and that she wished she went to Jericho and Mox first to work it out with them.

Moreover, we heard a lot from Britt a couple of years ago how instrumental Jericho was in coaching her promos. She'd go to him with ideas and he'd help her work things out and block things, basically.

He was just doing that out of the goodness of his heart (and so he could shape future things he could use, I'm sure) before. Now he'll be paid to do it and probably be more proactive.

That's what I figure at least.

The other benefit of Jericho is that he's on commentary for a lot of Rampages so he gets to see some new/upcoming talents first hand in a way he might not be watching backstage. That's absolutely why he's working with Dalton Castle this week. He saw him for the first time or one of the first times a few weeks ago and it was obvious just to hear him on commentary that he loved the act.

Also, I think we’ve had a chance to see what Chris Jericho’s so-called “creativity” looks like over the past few years, when he doesn’t have someone to reign his more ridiculous impulses in. Musical duets. Football Field Follies. Matches in a giant glass of Orange Juice. And now this fucking endless feud with the Blackpool Combat Club. Hell, the whole stupid “Sports Entertainment vs. Pro Wrestling” angle. Pardon me if I’m not super psyched at the prospect of years more of this crap.

Don’t get me wrong. I think Jericho is probably more creative and has better ideas than your average Pro Wrestler. He has successfully recreated himself several times, with great success. But the real issue is, he is nowhere near as clever and creative as he thinks he is. He needs somebody to tell him when he is wrong, or when one of his ideas just isn’t going to work. I don’t think he is going to get that in AEW and we’re probably all going to see the results.

3 hours ago, El-P said:

After Mox, that's AEW cementing its basis in term of what the promotion is all about : those who made it since day one. I sure hope the Elite will come back and stay around too, although at this point I would not be that surprised to see them show up in WWE which would be absolutely hilarious on every level for the reactions of the WWE stans alone (ya know, don't know how to work, not real stars, all that good shit). Also, positive locker room atmosphere as opposed to toxic people.

Something about these signings and the way they're being presented is making me feel the Elite aren't coming back. Hope I'm wrong.

17 minutes ago, The Thread Killer said:

Oh my God! Jay Lethal and Sonjay Dutt just very gently lowered that garage door onto Darby’s midsection!

I certainly hope emergency personnel were standing by to raise the door so that he didn't have to receive minor scrapes to his back crawling out from under it.