Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV - 2/1 - 2/3 - Never Mind The Bollocks, Here Is Danielson vs. Thatcher

Timbo Slice

Why does Starks have to run a gauntlet to get to Jericho? He already beat Jericho. The only way this kind of angle works is if after Starks beat Jericho, Jericho and his goons like, broke Starks' arm or wiped hair removal cream in his eyes. A fireball would have been perfect but that doesn't mean anything anymore thanks to "The Wizard" doing it way too often.

Put Starks out for a few weeks with segments about his recovery from whatever. Then have him return on Dynamite in a surprise angle. THEN have him have to go through the gauntlet to get to Jericho at a PPV in a Steel Cage Dog Collar Tuxedo Texas Death Loser Leaves Town match.

Running two "face has to run the gauntlet to face the heel" angles at the same time for the same PPV is...uh.

Thatcher has some awfully cartoonish facials pretty much constantly, to the point where it felt like he could be a long lost member of the Vaudevillans. Seems very at odds with his in ring style. Maybe he was playing it up for TV and a new audience but it was very distracting.

The gauntlet thing is something they have way overdone for MJF, but it does work for the Danielson feud in that it gives BD an excuse to wrestle a bunch of randos like he really wants to. 

No fucking clue why they’re doing it for Starks, or why he’s continuing to feud with Jericho at all for that matter.

1 hour ago, strobogo said:

Thatcher has some awfully cartoonish facials pretty much constantly, to the point where it felt like he could be a long lost member of the Vaudevillans. Seems very at odds with his in ring style. Maybe he was playing it up for TV and a new audience but it was very distracting.

Doubtful. He's been doing that shit for as long as I've been watching him. He was even doing it in MLW.

10 hours ago, Jmare007 said:

Seems it's just so he can put Wardlow over, sadly.

This.

You know how we say that basically the end of show is what taints the entire thing, whether good or bad (typically the WCW PPV's of the Nitro era which had awesome undercard and shitty main event, or the tedious Royal Rumble closed by an awesome angle) ? Well, I loved the show. Loved it. Great stuff after great stuff. And then Samoa Joe wins after a completly insane main event and I'm like "Hum... well, I guess this will prevent Darby from killing himself before the end of the Winter. I just hope it's not going back to W... oh yawn...". So, back to the guy who does a bunch of powerbombs and can't be beat because the Goldy syndrome is still in effect 24 years after the fact (see also, Jade Cargill, although really the latest matches have been really fun again, including this week, because she actually does what Goldy used to do aka do new cool shit in every matches). Samoe Joe has such a great stint (really his best since his prime in the 00's in TNA and ROH), I wish he would have a lenghty and compelling reign before having to drop the belts to Wardlow's WOOOOOrld (YAWN). The only thing I would be really down with is if that ends up with Wardlow putting over Hobbs strong. (can't we switch Wardlow with Gunther ? Please ?)

Then again, still another terrific episode. Week after week, just ridiculous streak of great shows, really.

Also, you know you've been watching wrestling for far too long and paying attention way too much when the first thing that comes to mind with this show was "Hey, those yellow steps, this is Dayton Ohio where they had the KOTR in 1993". What have I done with my life...

Darby is truly insane, in a way that sometimes makes me feel uncomfortable and complicit, even as it feels viscerally compelling. This guy is tempting a *lot* of bad physical problems down the road, and while that’s his right, it’s also the case that the audience’s willingness to go along with it generates one of the preconditions that make him want to exercise that right. It’s a difficult line to draw, because literally nothing these people do is at all medically advisable, but man does Darby skateboard right on that line sometimes.

7 minutes ago, Tetsujin said:

It's crazy to me that, of all three big matches announced for this Dynamite, Bryan/Thatcher was the one that "underdelivered". The match was still super good, so that speaks more about how high the average level for these last dynamites have been than anything.

Agreed.

The thing about Thatcher is that he really wasn't over, so that hurt. But it was so cool to see him against Danielson still. This is part of what makes AEW so cool. You can have Nick Gage, Shibata or Tim Thatcher show up and have a marquee match for no other reason than "why the fuck not ?". 

As far as Darby goes, he's like the "perfect" mix between Mick Foley & Jeff Hardy. The way Samoa Joe just dropped him over the top rope at one point was so ridiculous than even the announcers were incredulous, their legit reaction was quite something.

1 minute ago, KawadaSmile said:

Pretty sure Darby Allin has taken worse bumps while skateboarding. May be even the reason he manages to avoid injury or any serious damage.

Yeah, I was thinking about this. Those skateboard guys are on another level when it comes to taking risks and horrible bumps on very unforgiving structures.

Tony Hawk only needed to use a walking cane because he broke his leg at over 50 years old. Dude took bump after bump after bump for over 30 years and still got it. 

Chad Muska, Bob Burnquist, all of them are still rocking, too!

Fucking love skateboarding culture. Not uncommon to see people well into their 50s still going strong even with wear and tear.

18 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

Tony Hawk only needed to use a walking cane because he broke his leg at over 50 years old. Dude took bump after bump after bump for over 30 years and still got it. 

Chad Muska, Bob Burnquist, all of them are still rocking, too!

Fucking love skateboarding culture. Not uncommon to see people well into their 50s still going strong even with wear and tear.

I was such a huge Bob Burnquist fan back in the day.