Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 02/06 - 02/12 Beyonce got robbed

The Man in Blak

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, KawadaSmile said:

Yeah, they are not fucking booing Cody Rhodes.

I think it's gonna happen eventually once the WWE UNIVERSE gets over their honeymoon period, just like it did in AEW. He was over like the second coming there too and then everyone grew to be sick of his shit. Not saying he's gonna get booed at Mania or anything, but I won't be shocked to see it happen not too much past then. 

That Heyman and Cody promo was fantastic. Just the right amount of shootiness without being in your face about it. And WWE cinematography usually sucks, but that one shot from a low angle on the ground of Cody in Heyman’s face spitting acidic anger was perfection, absolutely made Cody look like a righteous hero.

For sure, awesome promo from both. I still can't do anything but chuckle at Cody doing his facial "emotional ticks" that he's done a hundred times by now and comes as forced and fake as any goofy Shawn Micheals pathos acting, really. That being said, the closer of Cody saying he just wanted to win a championship and people always want to make it personal was a nice line. A bullshit line, because he's always referring to his father"s legacy anyway, but still, quite a necessary line.

All in all, from an outside point of view, Sami vs Reigns at Mania still looks like a much better peak match, but they did as good a job imaginable to jumpstart the feud. I said it before even when he was in AEW, Cody was made for WWE's style.

12 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

Gosh, Dusty vs Corino fucking rocked, didn't it?

From memory, angles and promos were terrific, match was garbage. But that was eons ago, there's a possibility I would enjoy the match much more now (but maybe it was just garbage too, I dunno and probably will never rewatch it at this point anyways).

Someone in the YT comments of F4W really nailed what Cody’s secret sauce is, which is the fact that he is really more of a monologist than a promo guy. That came across as overweening and arrogant in AEW, with its 2 hours per week and plethora of talent fighting for time, but in a company with fucking five hours per week of TV time to fill, it makes him fit perfectly into the Cena/Triple H/Heyman type of slot where he can go out there for a long time and queue up everything. We’re all tired of that television cadence, I think, but as long as they have so much TV time to fill, I don’t think it’s going anywhere. And yeah, the weepy facials are overdone, but everything about the way he has been presented makes it click in WWE in a way it just never did in AEW. It makes me wonder if WWE’s limitations would be good for someone like MJF, too, force him to cauterize around the loss of some of the edge lord stuff and give him a presentation that matches the image he tries to project.

4 minutes ago, Embrodak said:

Someone in the YT comments of F4W really nailed what Cody’s secret sauce is, which is the fact that he is really more of a monologist than a promo guy. 

This is a good point. Cody's most memorable stuff really are the equivalent of dramatic monologues (his best one ever, the one before DoN against Dustin, is absolutely that). A lot of the great ones are (I'd argue Foley's most memorable ECW work are monologues, too). He also strikes me as someone who's very practiced in his promos (maybe he's even said explicitly that he does), which makes him perfect for WWE, especially when he's at the level where they'll let him craft his verbiage.

That's a good observation. And really, Cody likes to listen to himself talk a lot. And WWE style promo is mostly monologues after monologues, it never ever comes off like people really talking to each others.

That very practiced, slow (because they have a lot of time to fill) and obviously very scripted WWE pacing is yet another reason why I don't care to watch their stuff (that is, if I did not find the company repulsive to begin with). Even the great Roman/Sami angle at the Rumble, I noticed that it went way long and was super heavy handed (don't get me wrong, I thought it was an awesome, all-timer WWE angle) compared to what I usually watch (AEW, IMPACT, Japanese stuff which of course is not exactly heavy on angles either). Even the great stuff they manage to do, there's something so "operatic" about it, so non-organic. It would be interesting to see when this style of promo really started. I'd say sometime during the early 00's, maybe only to that degree with Cena, not sure.

The Rumble angle was soooooo long and milked. The Corny analogy of the bank robbery where the cops never show up and the criminals have no sense of urgency to make their getaway is just modern WWE to a T. I can buy Owens having no friends in the back, but no refs or security out there trying to stop the assault? No consequences for taping a guy to the ropes and threatening him with a chair? Despite AEW being touted as the more postmodern of the two companies, they at least try to pay some attention to these basic logical considerations sometimes. In WWE they’re just these free-floating signifiers.

46 minutes ago, strobogo said:

The Rumble angle was absolutely perfect. "Wah it was too long" fuck outta here, nerds. 

It was a perfection of the WWE style of angle presentation, absolutely. But it does have a bit of that “God, The Godfather is a great movie, but no way mafiosi were these Shakespearean figures” aura to it.

8 hours ago, Embrodak said:

And yeah, the weepy facials are overdone, but everything about the way he has been presented makes it click in WWE in a way it just never did in AEW.

You're right, but they were a perfect fit for last night since you had both guys hitting each other in the feels with real life emotional stuff.  Dave talking on WOR about how Paul learned booking by working his way into the booking room when he was a magazine writer and listening to Dusty really hammered home how much he meant to him.  Paul having an emotional connection to Dusty, as well as Roman being trained in part by Dusty in NXT gives this story layers you almost never see in WWE.