Pro Wrestling Only

RIP Iron Sheik

NintendoLogic

I was never a fan of what I felt was The Iron Sheik being exploited during the lowest times of his life. The Brian Blair videos, the Stern stuff, the indy appearances, even the Twitter account to an extent, and sadly I feel that it how most people are going to remember him.

But what an amazing life this man led. From bodyguarding the shah of Iran, to the Olympics, to becoming Heavyweight Champion of the World. Truly a well lived life.

I sincerely hope he has found peace and been reunited with his daughter.

3 hours ago, Timbo Slice said:

His journey from Iran during peak Ayatollah shittiness and finding his way to becoming the success he was is one of the more incredible stories in pro wrestling history. An indelible part of the story of pro wrestling in many ways. 

RIP. 

More like "peak Shah shittiness" considering he moved to the US in the late 60ies (I think).

That A&E Biography they did on him just a couple of months ago was excellent. As was that documentary that was made on him a few years back (which is available on Amazon Prime here in Canada, not sure about international availability - but it’s well worth a look.)

He really did live quite an extraordinary life, considering he got into the business rather late in life, and was pretty much past his prime already at the time he became most famous. I have always had a soft spot for him because he was a regional star here in Toronto as “Hossein The Arab” when he feuded with Angelo Mosca over the NWA Canadian Heavyweight Championship, a few years before he went on to his biggest fame in the WWF. I still remember that feud being the talk of the playground when I was a kid… that is literally my first memory of Professional Wrestling.

He was quite a character, both in and out of the ring. I know he suffered a lot, from personal tragedies, addictions, and most recently a lot of physical pain. 

RIP

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2023 at 1:15 PM, Blehschmidt said:

I was never a fan of what I felt was The Iron Sheik being exploited during the lowest times of his life. The Brian Blair videos, the Stern stuff, the indy appearances, even the Twitter account to an extent, and sadly I feel that it how most people are going to remember him.

Glad you said it, because it's true. 

I'll take it one step further and say if he wasn't such a beloved meme and so nostalgic due to Hulkamania, he would have been cancelled.