Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV - 8/30 - 9/2 - Brawl In is so tacky

Timbo Slice

22 hours ago, MLB said:

Wait...you don't like Tony?

I mean, I don't know what people want. I thought was Dixie was cool, I thought Herb Abrams was cool, so I should probably preface these statements. I think Rob Black is great. It's pro wrestling not church. Fans complain about bullying and then wonder where Bill Watts went. Tony is great for these times, seems like a cool bro to hang out with.

Dixie was basically TK without his e-fed experience. She always struck me as someone too nice for pro wrestling, and the fact that everyone in TNA walked over her like a kitchen rug probably proved that. She seemed to be a fan at least, and was game enough to take a table bomb from Bubba that broke her back. 

Herb Abrams was 80s coke fueled rasslin in human form. His story ended the only way it possibly could.

The Bill Watts thing was an obvious tongue in cheek comment about how AEW needs someone to lay down the law due to all the silliness. Tony is great, he clearly loves the business and does everything he can to take care of his people, but he's also that parent who wants to be their kid's best friend instead of the parent. Sometimes you gotta be the bad guy or you'll end up raising an entitled spoiled brat asshole of a kid. 

It is interesting how the promoter is often viewed by fans and wrestlers as a fantasy father in the Freudian sense.

Why does TK need to be more authoritarian? What power does he have? Because we're not getting Omega vs. Punk? What is the problem? We're not gonna get Page/Punk II? We got Bucks/FTR III.

1 hour ago, MLB said:

Why does TK need to be more authoritarian? What power does he have? Because we're not getting Omega vs. Punk? What is the problem? We're not gonna get Page/Punk II? We got Bucks/FTR III

Because he's had two major shows overshadowed by petty ass fights in the locker room. It has nothing to do with booking or what matches we are or aren't getting, and all to do with the fact they've had to do a shoot brand split because his top stars can't be in the same building without shit happening. 

Also no one is suggesting TK needs to go full dictator on his roster, but for a guy who famously claimed he wouldn't make the same mistakes WCW did it's a bad look when it appears the inmates are running the asylum. 

It's hilarious that Punk (in his mind it seems) is trying to be the one to establish law and order, but he's an unrepentant asshole and that just makes everything worse. 

Wait until you see who won the tag team Battle Royal on Rampage and are now getting the ROH Tag title shot at All Out.

Like I said earlier in this thread, it would have made perfect sense from a storyline standpoint for The Kingdom to win the Battle Royale and get the shot…especially after the promo they cut on Adam Cole on Wednesday. It seemed like the perfect set up.

Instead, The Kingdom weren’t even in the running, and we get MJF and Cole fighting enhancement talent on the pay-per-view. Just brilliant booking.

Sad news IMO.

In the initial AEW press conference, only two wrestlers stood out to me beyond the big WWE/NJPW names and generic indie guys: Hangman Page and Sonny Kiss.

I kinda hope someone gives Sonny a shot in NXT. 

It remains to be seen, but WWE feels like it will be a better fit for Brian Pillman Jr. (after a solid year of seasoning), and I think it would be for Sonny Kiss too.

1 hour ago, C.S. said:

Sad news IMO.

In the initial AEW press conference, only two wrestlers stood out to me beyond the big WWE/NJPW names and generic indie guys: Hangman Page and Sonny Kiss.

I kinda hope someone gives Sonny a shot in NXT. 

It remains to be seen, but WWE feels like it will be a better fit for Brian Pillman Jr. (after a solid year of seasoning), and I think it would be for Sonny Kiss too.

The use of Sonny Kiss over the years has been very odd. Kiss has a unique look, seems to be a decent wrestler (definitely no worse than others they've used regularly on TV) and has the potential to appeal to a new audience, but instead got stuck in a jobber tag team with Joey Janela and then randomly turned heel in the main event of Rampage before never being seen again. It's baffling 

13 hours ago, NotJayTabb said:

The use of Sonny Kiss over the years has been very odd. Kiss has a unique look, seems to be a decent wrestler (definitely no worse than others they've used regularly on TV) and has the potential to appeal to a new audience, but instead got stuck in a jobber tag team with Joey Janela and then randomly turned heel in the main event of Rampage before never being seen again. It's baffling 

I read somewhere that Cody filmed vignettes of Sonny and Janela with his own money, but Tony refused to use them.

Sounds like Sonny was a victim of being a Cody guy (girl?). 

As we hear more, it becomes less and less surprising why Cody left.

He truly was the only grown-up in the room among the EVPs.

As for Sonny, a major missed opportunity to create a crossover star. Crossover not in the movie/celebrity sense, but as someone who could appeal to be the LGBTQ+ audience in a way others can't. You see Sonny and immediately want to know more and see more. WWE usually knows how to capitalize on things like that. AEW can't even keep a hot hand like Wardlow smoking for more than a couple of months. 

All Out might be an entire different animal, but I did not expect such a tame crowd from Collision. Very few pocket of fans wanted to even try to get a CM Punk chant going and it died down quick as fuck. Legit surprised by that. If it happens tomorrow too it would mean people from every corner of the fandom was tired of the bullshit and just wanted to move on.

TK addressed the (quite hostile) crowd before the show. They got it out of their system. Sure, when the Young Bucks (as showed by the run-in at the end of Collision) and probably Omega will be in the ring at All Out, you'll probably get them chants going to a certain degree, maybe even big time. But in the long run, the CM Punk craze is cooked, he's been totally exposed. Only the hardcore of hardcores toxic fanbase is gonna support his bullshit, I red a lot of "I'm a CM Punk fan and even I agree it's the best decision, he can't help himself" and other "I was a CM Punk fan and during the last year I did a 180°" (which happens to be my case too) around. Considering his track record and in retrospect, he should not have been brought to AEW at all. If by the fall of 2021, only Adam Cole and Bryan Danielson jump to AEW, it's not as big of a boost, but it's still a boost at a point where the company was *already hot*. Would have been much, MUCH better in the long run.