Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV - January 10 - 13, 2024 - Just gimme some Mone

El-P

18 minutes ago, Embrodak said:

Even if you like the Bucks, them as Sting’s final opponents just seems wrong on its face. If they’re not just gonna do Sting vs Darby because Sting can’t hack a singles match, FTR are the obvious choice for a tag team match.

The good Sting matches have been wild spotfests in AEW, which would be something I'd turn to the Bucks for over FTR.

2 minutes ago, Timbo Slice said:

Page deciding to go full Magnum TA might be the best decision he’s ever made 

Whenever he doesn’t hit a Death Valley Driver in the first four minutes of a match, that’s the best decision he’s ever made.

3 hours ago, The Thread Killer said:

Find someone in life who loves you as much as Tony Khan loves booking pointless 8 Man Tag Team Matches.

They were booked as tributes to Brodie Lee, so at least for this week there was (somewhat) of a point to them.

7 minutes ago, strobogo said:

I legit can't remember any 8 man tags that weren't War Games/Stadium Stampede matches in the entirety of AEW

There were two on the last PPV and two tonight, and there have been plenty of others. Especially on Rampage. One in particular that I remember being particularly stupid was when he teamed FTR up with The Young Bucks against Bullet Club Gold.

This show was a nice reminder how fun shows at Daily's Place can be when it isn't used as a pandemic shelter. I like when you get shows at different looking places like when WCW would do Spring Break shows and those post-nWo formation Nitros outside at Disney.

The Young Bucks showing up to challenge Sting & Darby for the final match saved the "Homecoming" feel that was absent until then. No one will give Sting a better final match than the Bucks. Add in Darby in there, and you got the best possible match, really, and one that feels like AEW too.

The card was fun, though, although the 8 men was random as fuck. Why was the Dark Order not involved, really puzzling. If Brodie Lee made anyone during his stay, it's the Dark Order, and especially John Silver. Anna Jay on the other hand was the right choice to be featured. Thunder Rosa seems to get her groove back, which is nice after such a long absence and painfull injury. Skye Blue is really my favorite to watch and grow. She's the real keeper here, it's been so fun to watch her show up at Daily's place as a jobber on Dark and see her evolve and get better and better.

As far as Moné goes, who knows. Plus really it would not be smart to overshadow Deonna's debut. Still, who knows.

Ricky and Sammy together was kinda interesting because both really have been kinda cursed with injuries, face/heel turns back and forth and outside shit they are not responsible of (CM Punk being CM Punk, idiotic people getting angry at a guy they don't know hooking up with a woman they don't know either). It's funny because Ricky is so much better than Sammy on the mic and Sammy is so much better in the ring. They should tag-team. Perfect match.

10 hours ago, Jmare007 said:

"Just play my music the entire time I'm out there Tony, that way you wont hear the boos on TV" - Chris Jericho, probably.

Yeah, that was kinda funny, as it's obvious no one is gonna boo Judas, plus it doesn't matter since you would not hear it anyway. Still, if this crowd would have booed Jericho, they're the biggest hypocrites considering how they reacted to Flair, who actually has been publicly accused of sexual assault. I gotta say, Flair being there really ruins the mood for me, and the hypocrisy of the crowd makes it even worse. Just get this decrepit fucker out of my sight already.

9 hours ago, Jmare007 said:

1 week in and the Undisputed Kingdom feel as forgettable and unmemorable as expected.

One issue with calling them Undisputed Anything is that it really is a reminder of "Hey, remember this kinda faction was over there in NXT, back when we kicked their ass". Jury's out, I hope Roderick doesn't get lost in the shuffle and lose the overness he had thanks to the Adaaaaaam thingy. The Kingdom are a really good tag team anyway, they'll always be fine, although never better than when Maria is alongside (whole > sum of the parts). But yeah, dunno how I feel about this unit. 

9 hours ago, Jmare007 said:

Wardlow looks like a just wants to go home and play video games.

Can he please do that ?

Darby, Hobbs and Sting all trying to die was kinda compelling. Maybe Flair should try his hand at it.

Like I said, the Bucks kinda saved the mood at the end. Daily's Place reminds me how important AEW has been during 2020/2021 for me. The good old da.... aww, shit. But yeah. I wanted some Moné, I got me some Flair. Yuck.

I miss the TNA tunnels.

Hangman vs Claudio was terrific. Joe as champ is terrific. Swerve/Joe/Hangman in the title picture is great and fresh. That's for the really good stuff.

On 1/16/2024 at 2:49 AM, strobogo said:

JD Drake vs Hanger ruled. 

Yep. So happy that Drake is getting showcased.

Main event was great at times, but went for fucking ever, which has been a recurring issue on Collision since the beginning. 

Watching Deonna on the AEW stage made me happy, not gonna lie, and Red Velvet has indeed looked terrific since her comeback.

Card looks good tonight.

- HOOK/Joe is the kind of match where it doesn't matter that you know who wins, it's just fun to see a title match between a top star and a likable underdog. Makes me wish WWE would've found a way to do something like Roman vs. Montez Ford some time in the past 3 years on a random episode of SmackDown

- Cage vs. Dustin? Didn't these guys have matches against each other in WWECW? I don't care. I'm here for it. Cage is one of my faves and so is Dustin. Yeah, I turn 40 next month. 

- Purrazzo vs. Anna Jay should be fine, but the selling point to me is Toni Storm on commentary. I'm a fan of the gimmick still.

- Bullet Club Gold vs. Cage & Gates of Whatever should be fine as long as its a way to get the titles on Bullet Club Gold and then *please for the love of god* merge those titles with the AEW 6-Man Titles. No company - and, let's be honest, ROH and AEW are the same company - need two separate 6-man Championships. They need to merge the titles and then right the ship. For a company with so many good 6-man/stables, the fact that TK has bungled that division is just ridiculous. Honestly, between House of Black, The Elite (any version), Dark Order, BCC, FTR & (Insert Babyface), Best Friends, Death Triangle, Gunn & The Acclaimed, the remnants of the JAS, and now The Undisputed...I don't see how these titles could feel so meaningless.