Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV (02/07 - 02/10) Here she come now saying Mone Mone

The Thread Killer

Haven't watched the whole show, but a few thoughts...

- Loved the opener. To me, you give Swerve the title by having him pin Hangman. I'm not sure where you go with Hangman from there, but...I don't care? The fact is, a truly great worker will survive and strive and I'm ready to see if Hangman is that truly great worker. Right now, he seems like it and I think he'll be just fine as one of AEW's top heels. Plus, in the scenario I'm pitching, we still get Joe/Swerve down-the-line as Joe can say he never got pinned or submitted. Swerve is OVER. Prince Nana is OVER. This company needs to not be so hesitant and just pull the trigger, unlike, y'know, that other company that has fans losing their shit because they don't trust that their guy is going to finish his story. As Bischoff once said, you have to differentiate if you want to be Pepsi to the WWE's Coke.

- Oh...and another thing that giving Swerve the W does is that it allows MJF to return and just get through the Undisputed Kingdom shit as quickly as possible. MJF coming back, kicking the shit out of Cole & Co., is what his storyline should be. But then, he should be right back in the title mix. Swerve vs. MJF is a really cool dynamic and a bit hard to predict as both guys can work heel or face and you still have the lingering "Is MJF going to WWE?" question in the background. I think the crowd's would be very hot for that match.

- Toni Storm and Red Velvet had a doozy of a match, IMO. Toni is fantastic, I like that she started off the match with some old-school wrestling, and, overall, slowly-but-surely, I see more and more of the women's division getting to that next level (not top-tier, best-in-the-world, but you're being overly negative if you haven't seen some improvements in Skye Blue, Julia Hart, and Velvet over the past year). 

- I haven't seen the final match so I'll reserve judgment a bit, but I do wonder about Ricky Starks' future. He's been pretty open about viewing Cody and Punk as mentors and I'm curious if that has him on the outs with some of the other boys backstage. That's fair if its true. I'm a Ricky Starks fan, but if AEW is going to regain some of that momentum of yesteryear, I do think the narrative has to be 1000% of the roster wanting to be there. Maybe I'm just a weirdo whose gone hippy-dippy over time, but the energy of a show matters almost as much as the actual content. Say what one may about Jon Moxley, for example, but you never get the feeling like he doesn't fully believe in AEW and it comes across. While, even in his best matches, I think you could always kinda tell that Andrade's performances were a bit like auditions for an eventual return to the company he really wanted to be in.

- Mercedes in the company? Let her cook. 

3 hours ago, JRH said:

Who would have thought a guy with the super generic name Big Bill would be in a main event match against Sting? Just shows that a bad name doesnt necessarily mean career death. 

It's not like Sting is that great a ring name either if we're being honest. Especially when you remember that Gordon Sumner was one of the most popular musicians in the world when Steve Borden first became a star. It'd be like if a current female wrestler called herself Adele.

4 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

It's not like Sting is that great a ring name either if we're being honest. Especially when you remember that Gordon Sumner was one of the most popular musicians in the world when Steve Borden first became a star. It'd be like if a current female wrestler called herself Adele.

Sting is still a cool badass wrestling name though.

What the fuck is Big Bill? Sounds like any generic henchman in an '80s action movie.

As expected, Mercedes already with a really good impact on tickets sales. Just in presales they've sold over 4k for the Boston show.

I highly doubt TK will be able to book in a way to sustain this kind of positive impact but at least he's gonna reap the early benefits of having her.

Big Business to me sounds like both Mercedes Mone and The Rainmaker.

Anyway, show ruled. Main event tag was one of the better Darby/Sting matches as of late that have seemed like Sting was really taking it easy to make it to Revolution, but he really turned out this time. It's wild that fucking Big Cass is awesome and in a main event match with Sting in 2024. Need the Cass/Darby singles match immediately. 

That tope into tilt-a-whirl slam by Big Bill is the kind of crazy impressive yet totally safe shit that Darby should pivot to. He is small enough that people could do insane yet controlled stuff to him on a regular basis; he does not need to court death and paralysis on the reg.