Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV 2/28 - 3/2

sek69

There's reasons to despise Jericho, out of pro-wrestling reasons mostly. But as far as this, Jericho being a part of the CMLL thingy makes all the sense in the world, more than anyone else in the company really when you think of it, considering he actually went over there to learn lucha when he was young, and his feud with Ultimo Dragon in WAR and his stuff in WCW were very instrumental in pushing lucha (through Japan also) influence in modern pro-wrestling. So yeah, PWO be like "hates everything Jericho" (sometimes to a laughable degree), but there's nothing wrong at all with this. This CMLL working agreement as also been a hundred times better than anything AAA related (and well, CMLL when it's good is a hundred times better than AAA anyway).

The main thing to me is Will Ospreay making his debut as an AEW talent. The guy is the greatest in the world right now and one of the greatest ever alongside Omega and Danielson (and they all are working in the same company now, it's mind blowing). And because of the overall mood, I'm not nearly as happy as I should have been. Oh well. I'm still getting Will Ospreay for a few years more. Plus Mercedes soon. Plus probably Okada (also one of the greatest ever, the roster is gonna get completely ridiculous). If it's gotta take as much, might as well be now.

1 hour ago, El-P said:

There's reasons to despise Jericho, out of pro-wrestling reasons mostly. But as far as this, Jericho being a part of the CMLL thingy makes all the sense in the world, more than anyone else in the company really when you think of it, considering he actually went over there to learn lucha when he was young, and his feud with Ultimo Dragon in WAR and his stuff in WCW were very instrumental in pushing lucha (through Japan also) influence in modern pro-wrestling. So yeah, PWO be like "hates everything Jericho" (sometimes to a laughable degree), but there's nothing wrong at all with this.

I see it more as another case of Jericho wanting to engage with whatever hot act/wrestler of the moment, honestly. They can talk about the lore all they want, but in reality Jericho's universe has been painful to watch since (at least) the MJF feud, so whatever. I think it's more important the fact that Jericho is not entertaining anymore than him wrestling in México 30 years ago.

10 minutes ago, Tetsujin said:

I see it more as another case of Jericho wanting to engage with whatever hot act/wrestler of the moment, honestly. 

Yeah, I know. Can't argue with that. I would be fine for him being away for a while (or even transitioning to color with only occasional in-ring programs). And there's plenty other guys I would rather have working with CMLL guys. But it does not bother me that he of all people does. 

Not that I'm overly concerned by stuff like this these days, but I gotta say, they made a mistake by debuting Deonna Purrazzo as a babyface. She's a heel. Her game is being insufferable and arrogant and torturing people on the mat, not working from underneath and making comebacks, which she is not nearly as good at (that was obvious during her last 6 months in TNA when she turned babyface). The debut in her hometown was cool, but the Virtuosa is a heel, period. That's why it's not connecting that great thus far. And then, there's the Timeless Toni Storm issue. She's like Goldust (without the homophobic overtones, of course), the gimmick is unique and making her a bigger star, but it's also being limiting in term of match delivery, and it also kinda makes the entire title picture scene gimmicky. It's no wonder she won best gimmick in the WO Awards but also placed high in worst gimmick. 

Athena is still by a very wide margin the best women worker in the company. Her 2/3 tables match against Nyla Rose last week is the best match from a major company (because ROH is AEW, come on now) no one is talking about. I would rather have her vs Mercedes than any other program involving the regular AEW crew, with all due respect.

44 minutes ago, El-P said:

Not that I'm overly concerned by stuff like this these days, but I gotta say, they made a mistake by debuting Deonna Purrazzo as a babyface. She's a heel. Her game is being insufferable and arrogant and torturing people on the mat, not working from underneath and making comebacks, which she is not nearly as good at (that was obvious during her last 6 months in TNA when she turned babyface).

I wouldn't know as much as you about her strengths as a babyface worker, but this has been part of why her short run in AEW so far has not connected with me. It isn't bad or anything, but everything from her mannerisms and taunts to her facial expressions looks and feels heelish. Of course there have been great faces with heelish mannerisms, but they had a run as heels first in the promotion in which they became babyfaces.

42 minutes ago, MoS said:

I wouldn't know as much as you about her strengths as a babyface worker, but this has been part of why her short run in AEW so far has not connected with me. It isn't bad or anything, but everything from her mannerisms and taunts to her facial expressions looks and feels heelish.

Yep. The "Virtuosa" character doesn't translate well as a babyface. And that also plays into her in-ring style. She's all about slowing the pace down and stomping babyfaces around, putting them in submissions, cutting them off and being an agressive bitch about it. And she's so awesome at it. Her having to sell and get sympathy did not really work that well either in TNA after she de-facto turned babyface at the end of her 4 years stint (basically putting people over on her way out). She also has that super condescending body language, including that damn vocal fry on promos, there's just nothing likable about her. Which is even more amazing when you see her in interviews, as she always comes off so lovable and fun, there's just nothing left of her in-ring character at all, that's quite a testament of how good she is. So yeah, amazing heel, but ok babyface only. She probably ain't beating Toni Storm anyway, so here's a way to have her frustrated and switch to straight heel quickly enough.

I suppose I should have mentioned in the op that Atlantis Jr kinda sucks. 

Actually that probably isn't fair, he's just being pushed way above his skill level because his dad is basically lucha John Cena (idol to the kids) and he's close to calling it a career.

There has been a better presence of women wrestlers on the shows, with more angles going on at the same time, but they still can't put Willow & Statlander vs Julia Hart & Skye Blue on the PPV. Since the cringe Meat Whatever match is off (cringe because of the title, not the match itself, although I could live happily forever never seeing another Wardlow match or segment), why not have *this* one on the show instead of another random match ? They better make this stuff evolve when they get Mercedes. 

3 hours ago, sek69 said:

Will Ospreay over big in Alabama bruv

All In is gonna be something else.

22 hours ago, El-P said:

Athena is still by a very wide margin the best women worker in the company. Her 2/3 tables match against Nyla Rose last week is the best match from a major company (because ROH is AEW, come on now) no one is talking about. I would rather have her vs Mercedes than any other program involving the regular AEW crew, with all due respect.

I'm clinging to the belief that Athena wasn't brought up after the Billie Starkz business because they want to time it to program her with Mercedes. Whether for Wembley or some other big show, that should be *the* women's match this company builds to (until Jamie Hayter is back in the picture).

4 hours ago, El-P said:

There has been a better presence of women wrestlers on the shows, with more angles going on at the same time, but they still can't put Willow & Statlander vs Julia Hart & Skye Blue on the PPV. Since the cringe Meat Whatever match is off (cringe because of the title, not the match itself, although I could live happily forever never seeing another Wardlow match or segment), why not have *this* one on the show instead of another random match ? They better make this stuff evolve when they get Mercedes. 

Julia's hurt and I don't believe is cleared yet based on the reporting.

1 hour ago, WingedEagle said:

Whether for Wembley or some other big show, that should be *the* women's match this company builds to (until Jamie Hayter is back in the picture).

Agreed.

50 minutes ago, Migs said:

Julia's hurt and I don't believe is cleared yet based on the reporting.

Oh well. And so now the scrambled eggs match or whatever is Jericho, Hobbs, Archer, Wardlow (sigh), Hook and Brian Cage. Totally unnecessary, totally random, taking up space and time for nothing. Have Willow & Statlander against Skye and a partner of her choosing. At least there's a program going on. 

Gotta say too, Christian Cage vs Daniel Garcia is just out of nowhere, and I don't even see the point if Garcia doesn't win the title. They need to trigger him to the next level now. Well, at least it's not Cage vs Copeland II I guess. 

4 hours ago, El-P said:

Gotta say too, Christian Cage vs Daniel Garcia is just out of nowhere, and I don't even see the point if Garcia doesn't win the title. They need to trigger him to the next level now. Well, at least it's not Cage vs Copeland II I guess. 

I think it was supposed to be Cage vs Copeland again. Then they plugged Garcia in when Copeland got hurt, I guess cause he had a decent match with Copeland?

10 minutes ago, Blehschmidt said:

I think it was supposed to be Cage vs Copeland again. Then they plugged Garcia in when Copeland got hurt, I guess cause he had a decent match with Copeland?

Copeland is hurt already ? Jeez. I mean, I really like Garcia a lot, so him winning the title is fine with me, but this match is out of nowhere. Plus, sorry to say, Christian's "Your father is dead" gimmick has soooo jumped the shark a while ago for me already. He's a one note Bond villain. Great delivery, but totally empty and campy as fuck. I wish they'd do something actually remotely interesting with it. Nick Wayne is who it should be about, because he's the future.

Gotta say this also. Flair's involvement in Sting's retirement has totally ruined the fun for me. I have no doubt the match will be awesome, because Young Bucks + Darby + Sting giving everything he has left, but the angles involving Flair are just so cringe and tone deaf, especially in the current context (hopefully he's gone for good after that point). I'm very much looking forward to the 13th show a whole lot more than I am Sting's retirement. Gimme the Moné/Okada/Ospreay AEW already.

Nick Wayne is only good in people’s minds because he’s 18 and he has the “potential” to be good. Meiko was 15 and miles ahead of Wayne, various luchadors at 18 and younger were already very good, Wayne does nothing that guys in Private Party couldn’t do. The only thing that stands out is his age. Has a long way to go to. He’s Hook with a better understanding of in-ring work and way less charisma. 

The Flair stuff was sad, on top of just being tone deaf about him being on TV in the first place. Sting is gonna go all out and that will be fun to see. Loved the rafters bit. 

Heel Hangman is such a breath of fresh air. Seems like he’s revitalized after all the stuff post title reign. 

AEW has intrigue given what will happen in the coming weeks, but Danielson’s shot calling continues to be the best thing going. Assuming he finishes things off at All Out with his full time work, I have a feeling he has has some great things still to come, especially if they pull the trigger with Nigel (given health can be accounted for) and an Ospreay match. Can only imagine what he has cooking up. 

Where is it being reported that Copeland was hurt? It seemed to me that injury angle was a way to get Garcia into the TNT title match without Copeland having to do a job. It seems like if he were hurt to the point of needing to be written out, he wouldn't have wrestled a full match first.