Pro Wrestling Only

Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

For those who don't know Tom Lawler is a UFC Fighter does a Pro Wrestling cosplay gimmick during his entrances with little support from Dana. At the weigh ins he did this:

Posted Image

In response Dave tweeted:

How is it that every MMA reporter knew the reference to an obscure WCW incident from 20 years ago, yet none knew who Ryback is?

Genuinely interested in your guys opinion on this. Is he right or is he totally completely discounting the Wrestlecrap/Botchamania afterlife it has had online? 1993 WCW was hardly a formative period of the people I know online. Somehow I don't think press row would pop for Charlie Norris or Big Sky if they appeared on the big screen at a UFC show.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For those who don't know Tom Lawler is a UFC Fighter does a Pro Wrestling cosplay gimmick during his entrances with little support from Dana. At the weigh ins he did this:

Posted Image

In response Dave tweeted:

How is it that every MMA reporter knew the reference to an obscure WCW incident from 20 years ago, yet none knew who Ryback is?

Genuinely interested in your guys opinion on this. Is he right or is he totally completely discounting the Wrestlecrap/Botchamania afterlife it has had online? 1993 WCW was hardly a formative period of the people I know online. Somehow I don't think press row would pop for Charlie Norris or Big Sky if they appeared on the big screen at a UFC show.

There just happen to be a lot of Dave acolytes among the MMA media. Among the regular non obsessives, I suspect exactly zero reporters got that reference.

• 2 weeks later...

MLW Radio (ep #50) this week was really awesome with Konnan, Court Baure, MSL & Gabe Sapolsky.

Most of the show is them talking about their various experiences booking promotions but the 1st 15-20 mins or so they have a pretty interesting discussion about Meltzer, why they all wanted to be sources for him, thinking he's not as influential as he used to be & talking about him spending too much time on MMA now & not being able to cover indies/lucha/other stuff the way he used to.

Also amused at Konnan name dropping JDW or atleast I think he did. He mentions some guy who used to come down to AAA shows named Williams that was always going on about Misawa & psychology and I figured "well that sounds like JDW to me" :)

Also amused at Konnan name dropping JDW or atleast I think he did. He mentions some guy who used to come down to AAA shows named Williams that was always going on about Misawa & psychology and I figured "well that sounds like JDW to me" :)

Rovert mentioned it to me. I think he confused Zavisa with Yohe.

Anyway...

I loved Lucha pysch at the time and still do for what it is/was. I was one of the gringos who made the effort to try to talk about *not* comparing it to stuff like US wrestling, and enjoy it for its own greatness rather than get hung up on what "felt goofy" to a US fan. I never compared it unfavorably / directly to puroresu (let alone Misawa). About as close as I got was the Rey-Juve match, where I talked about the *moves* that Rey and Juve had clearly borrowed from the stuff they were watching.

I don't think I ever talked about puroresu psych with Carlos. The most remembered discussions on psych that I was around Carlos were:

* the famed "But Carlos, the finish was a DQ" discussion where Carlos was explaining the psych of his own booking that turned out quite funny

* his explaining the booking of one of his cards at the Olympic in relation to what Lucha fans would accept, which are mostly about quality and finishes than pysch... but some psych in there

I always got along well with Carlos. He treated us (i.e. Yohe, Hoback and me) well. He was insanely open to us about his thoughts, even when in WCW when we'd run into him... and there were other WCW guys around. He was open to questions, and if you gave him an honest though about not thinking a match worked or was subpar, he wasn't dismissive and at times would agree that someone had a night off. If he disagreed with you, he'd talk to you about it rather than try to browbeat or make you, as a non-wrestler, feel small or unknowing, and tended to want to hear back from you after. Like I say... I got along with him, and appreciated how he treated us.

With the exception of comps to Japanese juniors, which we all did... if there were any other comps to puroresu, it would have been Dave. I suspect if one went through the WON's you'd find something along the lines of, "The was like an All Japan Budokan Hall main event but for Lucha".

John

Guest Nell Santucci

Rovert mentioned it to me. I think he confused Zavisa with Yohe.

Anyway...

I loved Lucha pysch at the time and still do for what it is/was. I was one of the gringos who made the effort to try to talk about *not* comparing it to stuff like US wrestling, and enjoy it for its own greatness rather than get hung up on what "felt goofy" to a US fan. I never compared it unfavorably / directly to puroresu (let alone Misawa). About as close as I got was the Rey-Juve match, where I talked about the *moves* that Rey and Juve had clearly borrowed from the stuff they were watching.

I don't think I ever talked about puroresu psych with Carlos. The most remembered discussions on psych that I was around Carlos were:

* the famed "But Carlos, the finish was a DQ" discussion where Carlos was explaining the psych of his own booking that turned out quite funny

* his explaining the booking of one of his cards at the Olympic in relation to what Lucha fans would accept, which are mostly about quality and finishes than pysch... but some psych in there

I always got along well with Carlos. He treated us (i.e. Yohe, Hoback and me) well. He was insanely open to us about his thoughts, even when in WCW when we'd run into him... and there were other WCW guys around. He was open to questions, and if you gave him an honest though about not thinking a match worked or was subpar, he wasn't dismissive and at times would agree that someone had a night off. If he disagreed with you, he'd talk to you about it rather than try to browbeat or make you, as a non-wrestler, feel small or unknowing, and tended to want to hear back from you after. Like I say... I got along with him, and appreciated how he treated us.

With the exception of comps to Japanese juniors, which we all did... if there were any other comps to puroresu, it would have been Dave. I suspect if one went through the WON's you'd find something along the lines of, "The was like an All Japan Budokan Hall main event but for Lucha".

John

In Meltzer's update today, he claims that Jerry Lynn is one of the most underrated workers of the last 25 years. From what I've seen of Lynn, that doesn't seem very plausible. Lynn's work with RVD was very spot-oriented, and the matches happened during a time when many claimed RVD was one of the best in the world.

Guest Nell Santucci

I'm not entirely sure what Lynn has to do with my comments. ;)

John

Actually, it had nothing to do with your comment. I wasn't paying attention and decided to post that comment on Lynn whilst reading your post (that's my guess, at least). Sorry!

I've heard this before as well, that Jerry Lynn is somehow underrated. While it's true that nobody talks about Lynn as any sort of super worker, that's because he isn't. At all. In any way. Underrated doesn't necessarily mean "good", although in Meltz's case he clearly means something excellent that doesn't get talked up enough. Something that's still "bad" can still be underrated, so maybe Lynn IS underrated, in that he's merely bad, not horrendous. But what do I know? Michael Young was voted "Most Underrated" in a recent Sports Illustrated players poll. Anybody who knows the tiniest fraction about saber metrics would likely name Young as one of the most OVER rated players of the last decade.

In Meltzer's update today, he claims that Jerry Lynn is one of the most underrated workers of the last 25 years. From what I've seen of Lynn, that doesn't seem very plausible.

His peers have an entirely different view. I think that aspect has to be acknowledged. I personally like him in once in a while small doses.

In Meltzer's update today, he claims that Jerry Lynn is one of the most underrated workers of the last 25 years. From what I've seen of Lynn, that doesn't seem very plausible.

His peers have an entirely different view. I think that aspect has to be acknowledged. I personally like him in once in a while small doses.

As a footnote maybe? I'm not sure that's entirely useful to what we discuss around here?

A co-worker point of view is something that has really nothing to do with our way at looking at things. If I was a worker I would probably rather work with Jesse Ventura and have a night off and a good payday rather than work with Jerry Lynn and have to work my ass off on an indy show for shitty money. And I'm not even talking about safe/unsafe here. If I'm a worker, I'd rather work with someone who hits light as hell or a master at stalling rather than with a mark for stiff chops, kicks and big spots, doesn't matter how much snowflakes I will get in some geek's Top 50 matches of the year. Get heat, get paid, go home with no injury, that's what would matter to me as a worker. Take good care of me, get the most of the least, don't fucking hit me in the face with your feet thank you. Not the same debate at all.

(and it really depends on the workers frame of mind too, as I would guess those who love working with Jerry Lynn aren't the same as those who love working with Kane, or at least have different kind of reasons for enjoying each one of them)