Pro Wrestling Only

Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

Being aware and being self aware are two different things.

You can be aware that others are critical of you. In turn, you can dismiss it because, what the fuck, you're more successful writing about pro wrestling (and MMA for that matter) than any of the people being critical so... fuck them.

It's a world different to be self aware that while your "content", "facts", "reporting" and "information" may be really good / strong / great that your actual "writing quality" is poor / bad / embarrassing at times.

While he's aware of criticism, I doubt Dave thinks his writing is ever bad or poor, nor is embarrassed by it, except in times like this... when it's being factually wrong in what he published that embarrassed him, not the quality of his writing.

Does that make sense? I think we're talking about two sides of the same coin, Will.

John

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This weeks Observer was over 43,000 words. For the average journalist, I would guess 10,000 is considered a very busy week. Even if we knock that down by 25% as being provided by someone else/results C&P-age, etc, that's a whole lot of writing. If you asked the best writer in the world to knock out a novella each week it's not going to come out pretty.

• 3 weeks later...

--This has nothing to do with wrestling, but Dallas on TNT has a two-hour season premiere tonight at 9 p.m. and repeating at 11 p.m. that I'm going to miss. I don't think this has the slightest effect on the Raw rating. I only bring this up because people have speculated it's going to hurt Raw.

People eh

• 2 weeks later...

Exactly. He has sources probably in the cable business (or who cover the cable business), within the companies (WWE, UFC), no doubt some fighters (fight bonus based on PPV number), and also eventually sees what the WWE publishes as their domestic numbers. He likely triangulates based on which has a track record of being correct, or who is slightly better on others.

I'm a little surprised that Dave would agree to be on either side of this case, or pretty much any other case similar to this. One would hope that Alvarez's attorneys let him know it opened him up to discovery, including potentially a depo.

John

"Certification" appears to be the USDC for NJ equiv of "Declaration" elsewhere. It reads exactly like a declaration, with Dave swearing under penalty of perjury and signing it, which is what you'd do in a declaration. You do these voluntarily in support of the party filing it.

I get Eddie's team looking around for someone to counter Longbord's declaration, and if I was working on the case and knew something about MMA coverage, I likely would toss out "Dave Meltzer" to the attorney I was working for. Of course on the other side, if asked by Dave, I'd wonder why he would want to volunteer rather than just sitting it out. Perhaps he knows Eddie, is friendly with him and you tend to help out friends. On the other hand, I'm not sure Dave would want to go through a depo or discovery on this.

John

I love Dave saying in this weeks Observer that Del Rio v. Henry at Mania wouldn't be a big match. I'm not even going to argue that it would be, but given the options and history the implied argument that Orton as a heel would be a better choice is comical.

Randy Orton is a star to the WWE audience. Mark Henry isn't. I guess it comes down to that in their mind, no matter how bad Orton would be in that spot.

I love Dave saying in this weeks Observer that Del Rio v. Henry at Mania wouldn't be a big match. I'm not even going to argue that it would be, but given the options and history the implied argument that Orton as a heel would be a better choice is comical.

Randy Orton is a star to the WWE audience. Mark Henry isn't. I guess it comes down to that in their mind, no matter how bad Orton would be in that spot.

Tell this to 2011 viewers of Smackdown

5535408[/url]']

5535401[/url]' date='Feb 14 2013, 01:37 PM']

5535324[/url]' date='Feb 14 2013, 06:27 AM']I love Dave saying in this weeks Observer that Del Rio v. Henry at Mania wouldn't be a big match. I'm not even going to argue that it would be, but given the options and history the implied argument that Orton as a heel would be a better choice is comical.

Tell this to 2011 viewers of Smackdown

Or to last weeks viewers when SD ! Did its best number in a long time with Mark Henry returning in the main event against Randy Orton.

Dunno. I don't think it is in WWE's design for Dolph to hold the briefcase for a damned long time only to get destroyed when he finally cashes it in. I think they did the Cena DQ thing to get the whole "MITB winner loses" scenario out of the way. I think the future is rosier for Dolph and the next couple of MITB holders.

I do like the idea, only because it is Mark Henry. I do just think that Dolph is probably permanently damaged. His real name isn't marketable and it would be insincere to repackage him as any other name. He has also been in or near the main event level for long enough, people know who he is. If he suddenly showed up after a hiatus as Nick Fury or something, it won't work. He can change his character though but even with time off, he needs heavy dosage of character rehab. It isn't like Henry where he returns with this kind of steam, because he is coming back off the Hall of Pain/title run. Dolph either has to have some success before getting written off, a sort of a cliffhanger push, or they need to expect a good 6 months to year rehab when he does return.