Pro Wrestling Only

Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

I liked the Jack LaLanne obit, as I loved watching Jack on TV when I was a kid. But this Dave-ism had me laughing my ass off. I know what Dave means here, but this is pretty funny.

"He was one of he most muscular men in the country during the 30s and 40s, and was never out of shape until the day he died."

So, did Jack shrivel up like a dead vampire when he passed? Did he suddenly fall out of shape..then he died? :lol:

Um... that seems like a fairly common and well-understood phrase.

Ah, struck me funny anyway. Still, it's a really great obit on a TV Icon that barely got a mention on most of the TV news I saw.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm amused at Dave saying:

Sure glad I'm not stuck in 1992 with them then.

If I was, I'd probably be bitter all the time.

when someone likened a poster complaining about too much MMA on a radio show to "pure DVDVRing up the place".

My favorite part about that line is that it is coming from a guy who has far more contempt for the modern product, at least in it's most visible form, then the average "DVDVR type."

I think he makes mostly accurate points about why nearly every wrestling promotion in the world is seeing business decline right now. But he still gets excited about stuff. He's almost superhuman to still get excited about certain things after all these years.

He wasnt talking about DVDR.

I thought it was implied given that Dave's post seemed to be in response to "He's been at it all day, pure DVDVRing up the place crying about MMA" as his post immediately followed that post and Dave talked about them not him. Guess I was mistaken.

He wasnt talking about DVDR.

I thought it was implied given that Dave's post seemed to be in response to "He's been at it all day, pure DVDVRing up the place crying about MMA" as his post immediately followed that post and Dave talked about them not him. Guess I was mistaken.

What does/would that even mean anyway?

From the latest Classic Observer:

"Lawler did a hilarious King's Court that will never air where Johnny Polo pretended to be Stu Hart and Harvey Whippleman pretended to be Helen Hart. Polo then faked having a heart attack and died but Harvey revived him with mouth-to-mouth. "

This was when Lawler got indicted and pulled from all WWF programming. TELL ME someone somehow has this. It sounds fucking hilarious.

WWE gets under Dave's skin:

--Can you believe one of the WWE "Did you knows" last week listed that more people went to WWE live events than the combination of the Super Bowl, NBA Playoffs and a few other events? Yes, the 312 event per year WWE schedule outdrew the combined attendance of a few major sporting events. Did you know? that the average attendance for a WWE live event in 2010 was less than that of the WNBA or Major League Soccer. Among pro sports properties in the U.S., on a per event basis, WWE trailed NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, WNBA, UFL and the Pacific Coast League minor league baseball and is slightly ahead of Major League Lacrosse and the AHL.

I love Terry Funk but sometimes I'm not sure he knows what he's saying.

BA: Where is wrestling going in 5 years?

TF: Well, if ROH can keep going...

(a few minutes pass)

TF: Some guys are doing too many big spots.

edit: He references Brody as a "Bolshevik"?!

The "too many big spots," "ROH style is what we need" contradiction is common among old timers. See Cornette, Jim for the most obvious example.

Well there's a little contradiction there, but Cornette enjoys workers who work, he's a huge Flair fan, and Flair was all about big spots to pop the crowds. And Cornette loves the old-school, wrestling-wrestling atmosphere of ROH's product I guess. But yeah, there's a contradiction.

At least it's better than "UFC is what wrestling used to be". I've heard both Cornette and Terry say that before.

Flair was all about big spots to pop the crowds.

I guess if 'Flair gets caught on the top rope and slammed' is a big spot, but by the mid-80s when you had powerbombs and tiger suplexes and moonsaults Flair was not a 'big spot' guy.

At least it's better than "UFC is what wrestling used to be". I've heard both Cornette and Terry say that before.

Terry pretty much said it again in that interview.