Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bryan's ranting against the Miz has officially become tiresome. He even acknowledged this last night on the WOL free show.

I get his point but they have let him lay out Cena 4 weeks in a row. Bryan will cite the loss of viewers in the overrun from last week as a sign it isn't working but still he must have a smidge more credibility from the last month of booking

For all the criticism of TNA's week-to-week booking and being overly focused on ratings, Dave and Bryan seem to be doing the exact same thing with Miz's push.

Exactly. Screw the quarters. Sometimes you have to pick a guy and stick with it for people to buy him as a legitimate star. HHH wasn't over for months while they gave him a big heel push that crowds responded to with apathy. They need to do a lot more to toughen up Miz and make him seem like he belongs at the top level, and he doesn't feel like a WM headlne guy to me now, but it would be crazy to give up on his push because of his quarter hour numbers. That's what is wrong with wrestling now. If RAW's ratings were tanking and doing low 2's, and it started falling right after Miz got the title, then we would be talking about something different.

Yesterday was also the 17th anniversary of WrestleMania X and the Shawn Michaels vs. Razor Ramon ladder match and Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart match. Everyone remembers those two matches and nobody remembers what the main event on that show was (Bret Hart beating Yokozuna to win the WWF title).

Um, really?

Yesterday was also the 17th anniversary of WrestleMania X and the Shawn Michaels vs. Razor Ramon ladder match and Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart match. Everyone remembers those two matches and nobody remembers what the main event on that show was (Bret Hart beating Yokozuna to win the WWF title).

Um, really?

Hey, if Meltzer says nobody remembers then nobody remembers!

Um, really?

I wonder if this means Bret will be pissed at Dave again. :)

I also don't see how last weeks over run got completely blamed on the Miz since they took a commercial break at 4 past 11 with Cole saying the "Rock was there." Miz didn't even appear until around 8 after the hour so we are blaming the whole over run on one guy who didn't even show up until it was half over.

RW Animal on the Hellraisers (Hawk & Sasaki) team: "They needed singles wrestlers, and Jumbo Tsuruta just died..."

There's so much wrong with that I don't know where to begin. Jumbo's career essentially ended within the year before then, but... yeah. Smart guy overall though.

RW Animal on the Hellraisers (Hawk & Sasaki) team: "They needed singles wrestlers, and Jumbo Tsuruta just died..."

There's so much wrong with that I don't know where to begin. Jumbo's career essentially ended within the year before then, but... yeah. Smart guy overall though.

What was the context?

Jumbo worked for the other company than the one that the Hellraisers worked for. The Hellraisers debuted in late 1992, right around the time Jumbo finished his career. But what does "singles wrestlers" have to do with that? Was he talking about an offer by All Japan to take the RW's after their WWF gig ended in 1992? And that they wanted singles wrestlers?

That doesn't sound right, since they didn't end up signing any gaijin singles wrestlers of note after Jumbo got sick. Stuck with Hansen, Gordy and Doc as the only ones at the top level. Ted came in the following year, but it was to give Stan a partner, not to get a singles wrestler.

John

They needed singles wrestlers, wanted to get Sasaki over, Jumbo had just died for the other company (I guess from a career standpoint that's accurate), so...

They draw Sasaki in a gimmicked and limiting tag combo from late 1992 on into 1995.

Yeah, that will get someone over as a singles. :)

He did get some IWGP challeges in there, but they weren't exactly the most memorable of the era.

John

I don't think it increased his stature all that much. He always was going to get a push, and already had been pushed rather strongly at that same level (tag champs). The tag reign ended up being largely a waste with very little of it standing out or being memorable. The certainly pushed them over a lot of natives early, but no one cared. They pushed them against the Jurassic Powers, but no one much cared. He was held out of the 1993 G1, instead having the feud with the Jurassics. He got the push to the Finals at the 1994 G1, and ended up having the first really disappointing Final... and it was Koshinaka if I recall who got pimped by the press and fans as the guy who stole the show, while Chono going Blackjack was the story. Coming out of the gimmick, he was a total after thought in 1995 and into 1996 when freaking Tenzan got quickly over after coming back to the company. I watched his four matches the following year at G1, and he was stunningly *not* over. Even the Teacher-Student thing that the A Block came down to didn't matter much to fans.

Wait, it gets worse. Here's the order of the G1 matches that year:

8/2

Masa Chono beat Satoshi Kojima (13;46) via submission.

Kensuke Sasaki beat Hiroyoshi Tenzan (15:03) via submission.

Kazuo Yamazaki beat Keiji Mutoh (13:39) via submission.

Riki Choshu pinned Shinya Hashimoto (17:14)

8/3

Kensuke Sasaki KO Junji Hirata (5:08).

Keiji Mutoh pinned Satoshi Kojima (15:21).

Riki Choshu pinned Hiroyoshi Tenzan (5:12).

Shiro Koshinaka pinned Kazuo Yamazaki (13:50)

8/4

Kazuo Yamazaki beat Satoshi Kojima (9:56) via submission.

Hiroyoshi Tenzan pinned Shinya Hashimoto (11:27)

Shiro Koshinaka pinned Masa Chono (22:10)

8/5

Masa Chono beat Kazuo Yamazaki (12:25) via submission.

Riki Choshu TKO Kensuke Sasaki (15:13).

Keiji Mutoh beat Shiro Koshinaka (11:59) via submission

8/6

Satoshi Kojima pinned Shiro Koshinaka (10:33).

Kensuke Sasaki pinned Shinya Hashimoto (9:13).

Masa Chono pinned Keiji Mutoh (24:43)

Riki Choshu pinned Masa Chono (13:45) to win the 1996 G-1 Climax

The "mains": Riki-Hash, Kosh-Yamazaki, Koshi-Chono, Kosh-Mutoh, Chono-Mutoh/Riki-Chono

Riki wouldn't even let Sasaki have a sniff of the main event in the series. He had confidence the he and Hash could follow Mutoh-Yamazaki, but didn't think he and Sasaki could follow Mutoh-Kosh despite:

* it was effectively the "final" of the A Block

* it had the teacher-student vibe

I always thought during the Hellraiser era that it was the worst thing for Sasaki's early career. He lost a chunk of his career of learning out to work and sell and tell stories in top singles matches.

John

I am not going to dispute the badness that was Power Warrior in the '94 G-1. Maybe you're right and he would have gotten over faster as himself.

Don't know if he would have gotten over faster: he always had issues while NJPW was in its 90s prime of getting over relative to his peer age group: the Three Musketeers, Kosh and Hase. Kosh and Hase had the issue that they never were going to be pushed at the level of the Three Musketeers in terms of IWGP winners. But they did connect well with the fans and knew how to play to them. Which leads into...

If you can throw a nice clothesline, do a cross armbreaker and connect with a crowd, you can be a perfectly acceptable NJ heavy.

Not sure why it always felt like Sasaki was lacking.

There was some goofiness to Chono and Mutoh, but fans bought them.

Kosh, for all people want to shit on him in the 80s, kinda knew how to get heat in his matches. There's a lot of silly shit in them, but at times I think we're down at his silliness and goofy selling and match layout the same way that someone looks down at the mystical powers of Pulling Down The Strap and finds it goofy as all hell to the point it ruins shit for them. :/ In the 90s there were still plenty of goofy things there for Kosh, and his willingness to blow off selling when it was time to get up and do moves was still there often. On the other hand... one of the most impressive things I've seen live as a fan was Kosh main event three straight nights at Sumo Hall against three different often tough opponents (Yamazaki, Mutoh, Chono) and pull of very acceptable Major Arena Main Events that sucked the right into them into thinking they were watching excellent matches.

I don't think Sasaki could have pulled it off at the time.

I think it's more than "nice clothesline, do a cross armbreaker" because Kosh didn't have those things.

John

Keith is right about things clicking late.

It seemed like having his family around him all the time while having some control of his career as a freelancer and being away from Choshu lit a fire under his ass that made him the wrestler he needed to be, but it was too late for him to become a real superstar.

I love when they put up a "classic" Observer. They're a lot more fun to read.

Savage did get the best pop coming out but he looks terrible, like Jim Ignatowski on the old "Taxi" show and was totally out of it.

Missy Hyatt had an offer to pose for Playboy but the company made her turn it down citing a moral turpitude clause in her contract. Imagine, a moral turpitude clause in a wrestlers' contract.

]--John Cena got pub for drinking 30 Make a Wish kids to WrestleMania, [/b]including kids from as far away as Australia. They will get a private autograph session with the wrestlers and then get taken out to a pizza party with Cena. Make a Wish will also honor Cena because this will put him past the 200 mark in wishes granted.

Seriously? What kind of mutant typo is this where Cena is going to drink 30 Make a Wish kids? I can't even figure out what the verb Dave was looking for here - maybe bringing? C'mon Dave, get it together.