Pro Wrestling Only

Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

going back to previous posts Dave and Bryan seem to have unrealistic expectations for Sin Cara. Did they really believe that he was going to be allowed to work like Juventud Guerrera or Rey Mysterio circa 1998/1999?

Not flashy enough? I'm sure he'll work maybe a slightly accelerated version of WWE style where he'll be allowed to do maybe a bit more but will mostly be grounded.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

going back to previous posts Dave and Bryan seem to have unrealistic expectations for Sin Cara. Did they really believe that he was going to be allowed to work like Juventud Guerrera or Rey Mysterio circa 1998/1999?

Not flashy enough? I'm sure he'll work maybe a slightly accelerated version of WWE style where he'll be allowed to do maybe a bit more but will mostly be grounded.

Which defines one of the reason WWE is so dull and stale, and has been for a decade now.

I do not have a current Won sub. What are Dave and Bryan's feelings on the way Mistico (sinCara) is being rolled out?

Mistico/Sin isn't Rey or Juve. His appeal isn't the same as theirs was.

There was a novelty to Rey v Juve or Psic in Japan (vis a vis the rest of the card) that there simply isn't for Mistico v Averno in Japan. Mistico's appeal wasn't about his flash it was about the way he was booked. He was a small guy who was booked as an ace. Not a guy who was booked as an underdog babyface, he was booked as a guy who wins all of his exchanges. He'll bump around for a while without really selling it before taking over in one fall, dominate the next before loosing in a real slip on a banana peel way and then dominate the third until the heel cheats to score a BS victory.

Yes he is charismatic and hits his flashy stuff cleanly and consistently.

It is a bad comparison (Dusty is a guy who often worked underdog from below), but Dusty Rhodes was really charismatic and had a great elbow drop that he hit well every time out but you take away the guys lining up to fly for the bionic elbow and you take away a ton. The appeal of Mistico was less about the flashiness and more being booked for everyone to fly from bionic elbow.

He's going to be a hard guy to book in the WWE context. It is possible that Mistico is a guy who will learn to play face in peril (small underdog type role) but he doesn't have a ton of experience doing it.

But complaining that he doesn't come off flashy enough or that he doesn't get the opportunities of Rey/Juve misses the point of who he is.

Mistico so far is being promoted and is being anticipated by teh WWE fanbase in the same way as what made Mysterio popular in WCW. If his flashiness is toned down than than yeah people who complain about him not being flashy enough are not missing the point of who he is because they are already told that is who he is -- a flashy Rey Mysterio. Mistico right now is a Rey Mysterio (or actually he's being promoted more as a Tiger Mask right now -- mystery/supernatural ability -- by the WWE) People in the WWE Universe are not thinking of comparing Dusty Rhodes to Mistico. They know Mistico in the now, what he is currently and that is what the WWE has shown them. They're thinking of comparing him to other high fliers so they're not missing the "point of who he is". Who Mistico is in the eyes of the WWE fanbase is what he's being promoted at.

Mistico so far is being promoted and is being anticipated by teh WWE fanbase in the same way as what made Mysterio popular in WCW. If his flashiness is toned down than than yeah people who complain about him not being flashy enough are not missing the point of who he is because they are already told that is who he is -- a flashy Rey Mysterio. Mistico right now is a Rey Mysterio (or actually he's being promoted more as a Tiger Mask right now -- mystery/supernatural ability -- by the WWE) People in the WWE Universe are not thinking of comparing Dusty Rhodes to Mistico. They know Mistico in the now, what he is currently and that is what the WWE has shown them. They're thinking of comparing him to other high fliers so they're not missing the "point of who he is". Who Mistico is in the eyes of the WWE fanbase is what he's being promoted at.

That's definitely the impression I get. And no way is Vince going to book him like an 'ace'.

Dave and Bryan were basically underwhelmed.

Wade reported two newsbits:

Cara was originally scheduled to leap off the top rope onto Sheamus on the floor doing a tornado or corkscrew twist in mid-air, but he called an audible and just did a high crossbody which looked good, but wasn’t as flashy as was planned.

The slip on the trampoline apparently knocked his confidence so he went with an easier dive.

Also Cara has got wrestlers backstage rolling their eyes at him has he developing a rep about about his matches in Mexico as shoot accomplishments in regards to taking this guy's mask and that guy's hair. Wade liken it to that story of Tomko in TNA showing his matches to people in Japan and passing them off as shoots like a goofball.

I'm not saying he isn't a high flyer.

I'm saying comparing his accomplishments/successes with that of Rey or Juve misses the entire point of who he is and what he does (or who they were and what they had done prior to U.S. run).

Mistico wasn't the most spectacular highflyer in Mexico (nor was het he most spectacualr highflyer when he took his touring act to Japan), he was biggest (recent) main event draw in Mexico.

Was not saying that he was Dusty Rhodes. I was saying something similar to what WildPegasus was saying in the Tiger Mask thread when he compared the appeal of TigerMask to that of Goldberg: guy whose appeal came from being booked as guy who was undefeatable.

--When should Rock vs. Cena take place?

At WrestleMania neat year 62.7%

Sooner than WrestleMania 37.3%

ai next yai neJgith: ytern m easch ing hcGate the lthe latCoasatomo rasellEll b

Someone should check on Dave, he may have suffered a stroke.

At least in the case of Dave, the fans took him over the top after HHH handpicked him to be a future star. Why? Great in-ring? Great speaking? In Rhodes' smaty record to WWE experience in 8,000.

Angle mentioned that he did wrestle in the Olympics and in WrestleMania with similar injuries. This leader it's character girl. She's not 25 years old any longer. Even though Angle seems to get injured every few months, his long-term is something that has almost been taken for granted...

Also Cara has got wrestlers backstage rolling their eyes at him has he developing a rep about about his matches in Mexico as shoot accomplishments in regards to taking this guy's mask and that guy's hair. Wade liken it to that story of Tomko in TNA showing his matches to people in Japan and passing them off as shoots like a goofball.

Didn't he bypass the English classes along with developmental? The only people backstage who could understand him would be Rey and I'm guessing probably Chavo/Vickie.

Also isn't it likely if he is talking about taking masks/hair it's because only someone booked as a top guy like he was would have taken as many as he did. It's kind of a "shoot accomplishment" in a way since it's a sign of how big a draw someone is in Mexico.

Didn't he bypass the English classes along with developmental? The only people backstage who could understand him would be Rey and I'm guessing probably Chavo/Vickie.

Also isn't it likely if he is talking about taking masks/hair it's because only someone booked as a top guy like he was would have taken as many as he did. It's kind of a "shoot accomplishment" in a way since it's a sign of how big a draw someone is in Mexico.

Really dont know dude. I wasnt there but still it is kind of petty to nitpick some when their English is apparently so limited. Signed up to PWInsider for Wrestlemania and they reported he had an "attitude" backstage at Wrestlemania.

I'm pretty sure he's living in Tampa and probably goes to FCW to study english/WWE style on his off days. I saw him at a FCW house show a couple weeks ago.

I'm pretty sure he's living in Tampa and probably goes to FCW to study english/WWE style on his off days. I saw him at a FCW house show a couple weeks ago.

I'd pay to see an english class sponsored by people like Eli Cottonwood.

So, Meltzer said that Dean Malenko got heat because he's the one laying down the Lawler vs Cole match. Two things :

_the WWE is so micro-managed that at this point you actually have a guy to tell Jerry fucking Lawler how to work a match ?

_Dean Malenko is laying down matches ? Really ? This is a guy who was never any good at laying down his own match, he was infamous for "working in a vacuum" syndrome. Dean Malenko, as much as he was a great technician, was never a particulary good worker from a how to build a match standpoint. I always thought Dean had no business being lumped into the Benoit/Guerrero category, really the only reason he was I think was because of the NJ connection. Dean was just not that great of a worker.

So, Meltzer said that Dean Malenko got heat because he's the one laying down the Lawler vs Cole match. Two things :

_the WWE is so micro-managed that at this point you actually have a guy to tell Jerry fucking Lawler how to work a match ?

_Dean Malenko is laying down matches ? Really ? This is a guy who was never any good at laying down his own match, he was infamous for "working in a vacuum" syndrome. Dean Malenko, as much as he was a great technician, was never a particulary good worker from a how to build a match standpoint. I always thought Dean had no business being lumped into the Benoit/Guerrero category, really the only reason he was I think was because of the NJ connection. Dean was just not that great of a worker.

Are you saying WWE should have assigned Mike Rotundo instead? :P