Jump to content
Pro Wrestling Only

El-P

Members
  • Posts

    18681
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by El-P

  1. Takee is totally out of place here. I wouldn't expect the match being too good with Taker, Killer Kyle and Bob involved. Beating down Bob Armstrong is getting old. Ok, I know he's gonna win me back again at some point with some promo, but to me this kind of beatdowns has reached nWo point of repetiveness.
  2. Maybe I was in a bad mood, maybe some of you took mushrooms, but I don't feel the "great match" vide *at all*. Seriously, for the entire first half I was yawning at my screen at Snow's work which I found pedestrian and devoid of any intensity. Morton was good but I really didn't think much of Snow. Maybe because I thought this was gonna be one of these short TV match and I'm not used to see longer match on SMW TV. Anyway, it did developp into what I'd call a very good match eventually, and I appreciated the fact Snow actually gradually upped his offense. So yeah, very good match in the end, and in the SMW context of the past two years, it's probably one of the strongest TV match they had (although like I said it doesn't mean that much). Best Snow's match ever ? No idea, Snow is a pretty overrated worker to me, so maybe it is, I don't remember being crazy for any of his ECW stuff either. Best Morton performance of the 90's ? No idea, as don't have that many recollection of his single matches (I prefer the 91 Gibson match without a doubt), but it sure showed Morton was still excellent when given the opportunity and the time to be. Al Snow post-match promo was indeed pretty funny. Al was at his best doing stuff like this.
  3. Blah. ZZZzzz.
  4. Pretty good match, one of the best New Jack ever had probably. Ross was plugging WM 11 and Bam Bam vs L.T. during the match. Cornette is giving himself way too much racket offense at this point.
  5. Old school Taker seems so corny now. And so out of place in SMW too. I don't feel this angle at all, especially since they couldn't get anyone to join the Gangstas to make it seem like they had a chance (Killer Kyle, really ?).
  6. Most probably. And bad crowds. And good crowds.
  7. No, it isn't. I hate reta... idiots gimmick. Well, maybe if they worker playing the role was any good, I would enjoy it a bit more but still. So ok, he's a big child. I'll come back to this when the whole Kim angle unfolds.
  8. More funny stuff. DDP's got the repulsive nouveau riche attitude down pat, complete with poseur attitude toward contemporary paintings. And Kimberly is SO adorable.
  9. Sting vs Arn Anderson from Saturday night 04/22 is a much better match than the Sting vs Austin match from two weeks prior.
  10. Interesting contrast between Sting vs Steve Austin on 04/08 and Sting vs Arn Anderson on 04/22. The first match was very much my turn/your turn, heavy on bumps but short on storytelling, with Sting making an aggravating no-sell comeback seemingly at random, overall a pretty good match but really nothing special. The second match was much more under control thanks to Arn who pretty much structured the entire match for Sting, less action (although it was not a slow match either) but flowed a lot better, had a logical progression to the finish and good transitions. Showed me that Arn in 1995 was still better than Austin who was on his way but just not there yet.
  11. That woman did speak French well but she sure wasn't French at all. Anyway, Ric Flair is reinstated thanks to the vote from France. Yippee me !
  12. Great stuff from Morton and Eaton indeed, their last together on a major stage.
  13. The best "straight" Nasties match ever, because they are only good when they get the shit beat ouf them, which the Steiners delivered in spades. I think I do prefer the Sullivan/Cactus match as it was really a great insane brawl, but both are the only must-see Nasties match. This is also probably one of the best Steiner matches ever BTW.
  14. When I was watching New Japan TV (that was like ten years ago), I enjoyed this much more than the Liger vs Benoit match, much to my surprise. Simple, basic work, but very efficient and pretty much ageless.
  15. I think the consensus is that the Rock'n Roll were vastly better than the Fans. I would have disagreed 12 years ago, but then again I hadn't seen nearly enough. Today, I have no doubt the Rock'n Roll were better, and it's a case of the whole being bigger than the sum of the parts, as Ricky Morton was a great worker while Robert Gibson in his prime was... good, I guess. I would rank the 4 guys exactly in the same order, Fulton being the most underrated of the four. Rogers was one hell of a worker but didn't carry the same personnality and connection with a crowd that Morton would, and he's also not nearly as charismatic or good on the mic. He's a more "modern" kind of worker in term of mechanics though, which is why he adapted much better in his later days. But Morton is, as the whole package, quite a bit above Rogers. Fulton has been quite underrated for years, I have no idea what the consensus is these days, but he was the one carrying the charisma load of the Fans, but was also a super solid worker in the ring. Much much better than Gibson who always strikes me as being kinda there "for the ride" a little bit, even in their prime. But as a whole, the Rock'n Roll Express had a chemistry and a dynamic carried by Morton which made them a better team.
  16. Weight division in NJ allowed Tiger Mask and Jushin Liger de be huge stars they probably wouldn't have become otherwise. They were kings in their own kingdom. As a smaller heavyweight, I don't think Liger would have obtained to the same status. I always enjoy a good lightweight division when booked the right way.
  17. Pat Tanaka is s king of random appearance on TV. He had his share of random TV matches in WCW too, in 1994 then again in 1996.
  18. I heard Meltzer himself tell the story on another podcast some time ago. Who knows what truth there's to it, but the story is pretty glorious.
  19. I have. Very good match, the best ever from S&S. Loved Arn & Vader cool double team moves, especially the springboard into a chokeslam. Very strong TV match.
  20. Very good match, probably the best S&S ever had. Lot of cool double team spots from Arn & Vader, lots of fire from the babyface, awesome punching sequence like Loss said. Ric, Arn & Vader together was pretty awesome indeed.
  21. I have the feeling Kim will totally carry this entire feud. Probably the only thing involving Dave Sullivan that I will ever enjoy, since I like DDP and Kim. Yeah, Hogan "phoning in" during the segment was corny enough (I'm sure the bastard proceeded to call Dave only because of the cameras in the room, bastard), but not hearing Hogan's voice made it even worse.
  22. There was no reason for them not to continue the program after the first match. Why ? What was the big payoff left ? Cena has slayed Lesnar the Monster. Hell, he even joked during the post-match. There's no heat left. He beat him fair and square, Cena is better, end of story.
  23. He's not yet a Shark, nor a man, he's an Avalanche. In an ironic twist of fate, of just pure cruel booking, Beefcake, who's absolutely inept to the point of making Brian Knobbs look like Bobby Eaton and Stevie Ray look like Steve Austin, is actually portrayed as been inept in storyline too. He's the one fucking up in every match involving the Three Faces of Fear. Litteraly, and kayfabe-wise. I know this guy had no talent, but could he have the dignity to at least *try* ?
  24. Brian Pillman repackaging is really ill-advised, complete with total 80's hair metal gimmick, hair, tights and music theme. Poor guy. The Loose Cannon must have been half-shoot, as he must have built one hell of a frustration inside him during all those years. John Tenta has impressed me a whole lot thus far, he's one of my favourite worker in the company at this point, and I don't mean by default either. He carried Sting to a good monster match (as Sting doesn't work nearly as hard or as well as he used to do in 92/93), had very good matches with Savage, and was pretty much always a highlight whenever he's featured in a tag match. I was always a fan, but discovering his work in 1995 makes his stock go way up with me. Some of his best work of his career to me. Steve Austin makes a comeback with longer hair, and gets pinned clean by Sting in a disapointing match. Plus he's settled with Col. Parker AGAIN. I have said how much fun Parker has been in the chicken suit angle and in the Wargames match, but on a day to day basis, I really don't care at all for this character which truly is a liability to guys like Arn and Austin who don't need a walking gimmick straight out of 80's WWF to cut goofy promos for them. Doesn't help that the Stud Stable including Bunkhouse Buck and Blacktop BUlly has relaly grown to be one of my least favourite ever if not for Arn and Terry Funk being a part of it. The debut of Meng was a godawful match with Duggan, really the Barbarian can't arrive soon enough so that Haku becomes fun again. But the most important thing is that TIM HORNER is back on my TV ! Sadly no more Garth Brooks, but I'm glad to see good ol' butterface in the ring again. Really fun match with the Blue Bloods (another highlights of WCW TV) on Worlwide. B-shows. The killer was Heenan saying that regal was a man's man. Retrospectively made me smile and brought immediate memory of that damn song.
×
×
  • Create New...