-
Posts
18681 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Blogs
Everything posted by El-P
-
He wasn't booking at first when the Dungeon of Doom was created though, was he ? (in a way, it's not "that bad" when you think of them going the Hulk vs Monsters comic book way of presentation. I mean, it sure beats Da Butcher & Dave "I want to be a Hulkamaniac" Sullivan. Sure, it's goofy as hell, but as a pure cartoon character way to feeding Hogan...)
- 9 replies
-
- WCW
- Saturday Night
-
(and 5 more)
Tagged with:
-
This is glorious. I don't know who the fuck thought it was a good idea, but if we're going into comic book territory, at least let's go full fledge. Yeah, Sullivan was just doing his best but you can feel he's not ¨really* into it. Just compare this with the awesome vignettes and promo he was doing in SMW a few years earlier. He was a trooper though. GIVE HIM THE BOOK NOW !
- 9 replies
-
- WCW
- Saturday Night
-
(and 5 more)
Tagged with:
-
No shit ? I don't know why Savage worked that way. I would guess this was a way to give to his opponents, but in the end it made them look like jabronies since Savage was eating their offense and beating them with one move. Since he wasn't as snappy (pun intended) as he was in his prime, maybe he thought that was the best way to go against lower ranked heel opponents while keeping his hit and run style of offense.
-
Yeah, that is my preconception of Savage in those days. Thus far I've been rather happy with his work though, especially against Tenta and Arn, and this was the first occurence of a really disapointing Savage match. One of the most glaring instance I remember from 96 is a Finlay match on Nitro. Savage has always been better as a heel, and these kind of routine babyface match are one reason why.
-
This is awesome. My interpretation is that it's all in Sullivan's mind. The guy is batshit insane, and he's seeing visions of on old Curtis Iaukea, reminding him of his days in Florida as a devil worshipper.
- 5 replies
-
- WCW
- Saturday Night
-
(and 5 more)
Tagged with:
-
I would be tempted to say yes, Sting was kinda mailing it in general, not in the sense that he would not give anything, but that he would just not do anything to make the match interesting. I admit I must have fast forwarded that Sting vs Keirn match, as I couldn't handle Keirn in 1994, he was just horrible. That being said, I just watched a Sting vs Dick Slater on Saturday Night that I enjoyed quite a bit. Just a backdrop to Sting vs Meng at ringside, but they worked a pretty interesting short match, much better than the one against Orndorff, as Sting was seemingly more willing to do stuff here and have a fun little match. On the other hand, on the same show, Randy Savage vs Steve Austin was depressing, as it's basically one of those "Savage sells for five minutes then hits the elbow for the win" non-match. Austin's status had fallen so far it's crazy. And then you have Pillman with that godawful look (1984 hair metal guy) being programmed with Alex Wright. No wonder why one year later those two would be on Raw. The Dungeon of Doom angle is beginning. Oh man... Kevin Sullivan running in the woods, answering the call of a mysterious Master...
-
IRS vs. Mike Rotunda vs. Michael VK Wallstreet
El-P replied to JerryvonKramer's topic in The Microscope
Craig Pittman is actually growing on me a bit after two fun matches with Brad Armstrong and Tim Horner. The Horner match is *really* fun. Duggan vs Regal was amusing indeed for Regal's antic and the way he reacted to Duggan, but that's pretty much it. -
Heard on WCW Worldwide, about Col. Parker. Bobby Heenan : "He's a huge man in the industry." Tony Schiavone : "That's what I heard. (silence) The biggest." (silence) Do I read too much into *that* exchange ?
-
And there it is, Savage vs Flair is the best feud in WCW in 1995 (although that isn't hard). I'm always a fan of wrestlers ending up in the street. Loved that angle, Hogan is nowhere to be seen, which makes it even better.
- 4 replies
-
- WCW
- Saturday Night
-
(and 6 more)
Tagged with:
-
Arn aligned with Flair again is so much better than being saddled with Parker.
- 3 replies
-
- WCW
- Saturday Night
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
I think there's also a Toronto (from Maples Leaf Garden) match between those two, which looks exactly the same.
- 18 replies
-
[1990-12-16-NWA Starrcade '90] Lex Luger vs Stan Hansen (Bullrope)
El-P replied to Loss's topic in December 1990
The Luger vs Hansen feud was excellent. Stan was on fire and Luger was still quite the hard worker at this point, not afraid of taking a beating.- 11 replies
-
It's pretty surreal to see Konnan, Chris Adams and Norman Smiley so early in WCW in retrospect.
- 10 replies
-
[1990-12-08-NWA-World Championship Wrestling] Rip Rogers vs Brian Pillman
El-P replied to Loss's topic in December 1990
I know the Rip Rogers matches had been pimped before, but they really didn't do anything for me at all. Totally overrated stuff. Give me Barry Horowitz anyday. The only thing I ever really enjoyed from Rip was his angle with Tim Horner in SMW with the hindu squats angle. -
[1990-12-01-NWA-World Championship Wrestling] Michael Wallstreet vignette
El-P replied to Loss's topic in December 1990
It's really too bad he left so soon after he got the gimmick. This had so much potential of awesomeness as a mid-card TV title champ gimmick. The debut of Terri too, which really didn't dress like she should have. Horrible early 90's fashion sense. -
He's actually the French announcer for TNA. Has been for years now I believe. I haven't followed wrestling on French TV since 1997, but I have checked out on occasion to see how good the announcers were, and I must say I was quite impressed actually (the WWE announcers are also pretty good, much better than the american ones, maybe because they are old-school fans as showed by them using a few indiosyncrasies Eddie Carpentier used to say, and don't have Vince yelling in their hears either). Celian Varini is that guy : Celian Varini interviews Mickie James
-
Yep, I agree Snow's work, and especially his promo work, makes me see the rest of his career in an even more grim light. I was never a huge fan of Head, but watching this really shows what a waste of talent Al Snow has been.
-
The turn is well done, although obvious by this point. The announcer Chip Kessler repeating "What kind of a present is a fireball ?" again and again was quite amusing. Otherwise, he sucks. Hey, Buchanan ! I agree Cornette is looking too strong offensively, he should only get a few shots in. Cornette vs Bullet Bob *again*. It's obvious Cornette's booking was exhausted at this point, and the bad houses reflect it.