-
Posts
18681 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Blogs
Everything posted by El-P
-
Yep, after the injury Fuji was never the same. He's basically done after 1989.
- 16 replies
-
En fait je suis Frenchy Martin. USA is not OK.
-
They stole a tape recorder ? And that is supposed to get them a title match ? What ?
-
Rougeau was announcing on Superstars in 97 with Mansoon. And it wasn't any good. Of course Rougeau had been the French announcer from late 92 when Eddie Carpentier left up to I would think 2001 (I began watching English broadcasts in 97).
-
Yeah, except Flair vs Savage which was *good* but very disapointing after their last match, pretty much nothing on the card was worth anything. Pretty terrible PPV, despite the cool setting.
- 15 replies
-
- WCW
- Bash at the Beach
-
(and 6 more)
Tagged with:
-
The match is a steeming pile of shit. Hogan at his ego-stroking worse. Yes, this isn't as godawful as the strap match, but nothing is. Hogan makes Vader look like a bitch, doesn't work hard at all and basically blows. The post-match is kinda funny though. Vader is dead for WCW, his firing was a blessing. Compared to his feud with Hogan, his entire WWF stint looks all kinda great.
- 15 replies
-
- WCW
- Bash at the Beach
-
(and 6 more)
Tagged with:
-
Shameless. Hogan is such a gigantic prick at this point. "This is Andre's". For fuck's sake. The Baywatch reeked of WCW trying to one up WWF that had Pam Anderson at WM and Royal Rumble that year, but they don't get any star here. Yeah, that producer seemed *thrilled* to work with WCW.
- 4 replies
-
- WCW
- Main Event
-
(and 6 more)
Tagged with:
-
Because Flair told them to do that without clarifying his point. They were only doing what they were asked to do. Yeah, that's the point the announcers sold to me. I don't buy it one bit. The jobbers packing on Savage was a lot worse though. Stupid segment. Bash at the Beach was really poorly promoted, as Hogan didn't even bother showing up on TV, he just cut a few routine promos on pre-tape from the beach. No build at all for Vader vs Hogan in a cage. Flair vs Savage lost a lot of steam to me with that stupid angle, while the brawl outside a few weeks earlier was awesome. I guess they figured since they won't get any gate out of it, why even bother. I don't know at which point they began to build for the Nitro era. It's obvious Hogan vs Vader was an afterthought at this point, which is really sad for Vader, as they put the emphasis on the upcoming Dungeon of Doom and that gigantic guy at ringside.
- 7 replies
-
- WCW
- Saturday Night
-
(and 5 more)
Tagged with:
-
Well, this doesn't make one bit of sense. Why are the girls throwing Flair back in the ring while Savage is beating on him ? And why the fuck a bunch of jobbers immobilize Savage which allows Flair to beat him up ?? This was so stupidly put together. The only cool thing about this segment is Flair showing up with a dozen girls.
- 7 replies
-
- WCW
- Saturday Night
-
(and 5 more)
Tagged with:
-
This one is epic. Man, the Zodiac is fucking hilariously bad ! Did he get his name from the Zodiac killer ? So, Sullivan calls for every warrior but the Master sends them back to the darkness, saying the right one is still coming. This is of course totally ridiculous but also really funny to me. I love the eerie drone in the back too.
- 5 replies
-
- WCW
- Saturday Night
-
(and 7 more)
Tagged with:
-
I haven't bought a wrestling book since Foley's first one, but the interviews I heard and your review surely intrigues me quite a bit, as I was always very curious of Quebec wrestling history, for obvious reasons (having heard about it through Eddie Carpenrtier's announcing on WWF TV when I became a fan). I may grab it at some point.
-
Indeed. In the vignette he still has the tiger tatoo. The "one new monster each week" thing is kinda cool though in an extremely campy cartoon way.
- 7 replies
-
- WCW
- Saturday Night
- (and 8 more)
-
That was Disco in the bunny outfit ? Well, that's a damn good trivia question ! Yeah, stupid segment, and the sound effect really makes it even stupider. Really vintage bad WCW production, which is too bad as DDP's vignette earlier on were pretty good and funny. Kim is adorable though.
- 11 replies
-
- WCW
- Saturday Night
-
(and 5 more)
Tagged with:
-
In Kevin Sullivan's mind. Vader gets another role in a major stupid WCW vignette. The question I ask is : where is Cheatum ?
- 4 replies
-
- WCW
- Saturday Night
-
(and 5 more)
Tagged with:
-
Count me on the Prime fandom too. Dusty was hilarious on these show, no matter who he worked with. I especially enjoyed him with Sollie. On which show was Levy/Mansoon ?
-
Actually I never saw this one before, I was thinking about the Bash at the Beach match. And yeah, this is much better than the WM match (that I like a lot). I do think Flair was better here than he had been probably since the Vader match at Starrcade, but Savage is clearly the one driving the match into "special" territory. He's great at little things, like punching while on his back (something that Tony was legit amazed at) and just never letting his grasp go. There was some brutal shots from behind here, and Savage took a hellish looking bump on the barricade at one point. The final shot looks perfect. And yeah, Savage slowly walking was really building the intensity. Great stuff. Between this, Meng vs Sting and Alex Wright vs Brian Pillman, this PPV had three legit excellent to great matches on the card. (does the WWF looks dumb at this point for letting Savage go because he was "too old" ? What was their main event scene at the time already ? Oh yeah, Sid vs Diesel, Mabel pushed at the top and Bret Hart vs a dentist....)
- 10 replies
-
- WCW
- Great American Bash
-
(and 7 more)
Tagged with:
-
The whole Renegade is kinda fascinating, as this guy was basically asked to ape a shitty worker. For all weknow, maybe he had some potential, he sure was a better athlete than the Warrior, as showed by the way he jumps over the tope rope to the floor. And he's got a great looking top rope splash. Of course, the match sucks, Renegade is green as hell and no sells left and right. Arn doesn't exactly works his ass off here, who could blame him. Another major Hogan brainfart and a slap in the face of WCW fans. The Giant looks so young here. That was quite a find for WCW.
- 8 replies
-
- WCW
- Great American Bash
-
(and 6 more)
Tagged with:
-
Indeed. It looks amazing. I love the way he leans onto the ropes while he's getting momentum for either his elbowdrop or his legdrop. He was a smooth worker with a great sense of visual offense, everything he did looked good. His powerslam looks awesome too, the way he makes a short pause before rotating and crashing with his opponents in his arms.
-
I thought the exact opposite actually, and enjoyed the contrast on the show between the two monsters. Vader was really all about athleticism, quickness, with lot of spots and quick shots, bumping a lot (his detractors would say too much and too easily), while Tenta was much more traditionnal in his approach, kinda like a more offensive minded version of the One Man Gang, with tons of percussion spots (hey, he's a former sumo), a mix of deliberate style with a few heavy spots, and milking the hell out of his bumps (not as much as OMG, but much more than Vader). Anyway, I enjoyed it quite a bit, although his matches with Savage are even better.
-
I would think so.
-
Well, Bad Attitude was the worst thing Bobby Eaton was ever involved with. When you can make a shitty tag team teaming up with Bobby Eaton, you're the shits to me.
-
I was thinking about making a Tenta thread for a while. Always liked Tenta, but watching his work in WCW only reinforced that feeling. Thus far here are the matches I really enjoyed. Listomania : 1994.11.16 Kevin Sullivan & Avalanche & Butcher vs Hulk Hogan & Sting & Dave Sullivan (from Clash, he's the one saving the match here to me) 1994.11.20 Sting vs Avalanche (Main Event) 1994.12.27 Avalanche vs Sting (Starrcade) 1995.02.19 Big Bubba & Avalanche vs Sting & Randy Savage (Superbrawl) 1995.03.19 Randy Savage vs Avalanche (Uncensored) 1995.03.25 Avalanche vs Randy Savage (Saturday Night) Sadly he's not featured as much after the Savage match, and fades into obscurity. Still hasn't re-emerged yet as Shark.
-
The first "watchable" match I've seen thus far from Beefcake is the Kevin Sullivan one at Slamboree (95), and only because Sullivan is beating the shit out of him, which always entertains me. I think that is particulary true of his Disciple days when he decided he was gonna try new stuff. Up until that period, Beefcake strikes me as just sleepwalking through his matches. Maybe that will change with the Zodiac/Booty Man period, but I do think the Beefcake you're refering too was really Disciple Beefcake trying to work harder on Thunder and probably C-shows too in 99 or so. Nope, not a big fan of Keirn to begin with. Hell, the Fabulous Ones don't do much for me.
-
Yoshida didn't wrestle Omukai at the 5/4 show, the other Yoshida match that needs to be included from this card is vs Hiromi Yagi. I second this.
-
As I'm going through WCW TV, I wouldn't really agree with that assertion. Let's see who came up from WWF during 1994/95 : Big Bubba : came in very late 1993, after a stint in All Japan. Was very motivated, got the best match from Rude that year in his debut match, then worked very hard and had good matches against Vader and Sting. Hulk Hogan : yeah, at times he really sucked, but he also worked two of his best single matches ever against Flair and Vader during that time. Didn't usually work nearly as hard as he would as nWo Hollywood though. Hacksaw Jim Duggan : came in with Hogan. As much as I hated him getting the US title over Austin, he actually showed up for work and appeared to be motivated against Austin and Vader in 1994, and I would put these matches above anything he did in his WWF stint. It didn't last, but he wasn't any worse afterward than he was in the WWF. Honky Tonk Man : came in with Hogan. Yeah, he sucked. But what do you expect, he's the Honky Tonk Man. He left after refusing to do a job for Johnny B. Badd I believe. What a winner. Butcher Beefcake : came in with Hogan. Sucked horribly, showed no dignity or self-respect as he just didn't even bother to work a little bit hard to compensate for his total lack of talent. But hey, he's Beefcake, what do you expect ? John Tenta : came in with Hogan. He's been very very good during his entire Avalanche stint, having good matches with Sting and very good matches with Savage, carrying tag matches with Sullivan or Butcher, and really delivering big time. Plus Randy Savage quit the WWF because he wanted to work and not be an announcer, so I don't think it was the issue.