Pro Wrestling Only

______ is not the same thing as pro wrestling

Loss

This is the new place to put all the "No, it's not the same thing as pro wrestling" comments (even if Dave said them), since like a cancer it's spreading and more people are starting to buy into it. Continue using the Dave and Wade threads for everything else they say.

While Dave may actually believe this talking point, I do think that at least partially, Dave keeps alive the "MMA = pro wrestling" talking point as a means of covering both, because while he clearly enjoys MMA more than pro wrestling at this point, a large percentage of his readership would go away if he stopped covering pro wrestling entirely. By claiming that MMA falls under the wrestling umbrella, it allows him to cover what he truly enjoys while still making a good living covering the stuff that pays the bills.

MMA is eating into IWA-MS's market share.

IWA-MS wants the fans to know that we hear you, and do what we can to give you the best wrestling we are able to.

We are taking a brief moment to answer an issue that has been thrown about here on the message board.

The issue of scheduling has been brought up for our last show (Spirit of 76), and our next show (Blood is Thicker Than Water). Both of these shows are/were head to head with UFC PPV's, and it was/has never IWA-MS's policy to make our fans choose between us and them. America's Historic Roundhouse is a very different venue than IWA-MS has ever run in the past, unlike most other venues that we have run shows in (and probably most companies across the country), we are not able to simply request a date. America's Historic Roundhouse offers us a date, and it is then up to us to accept it or reject it. These show dates were offered to us, and we took them, knowing full well that if we did not, it may be some time before we get a date there again.

With all the 'please come back to the Chicago area' noise that was happening on this board (and elsewhere), we thought that we would have a triumphant return to the Chicago area. It is very surprising that we have not been welcomed back by the fans that wanted us back so very badly. For those of you that have attended, we thank you.

Given the choice of sitting at home, spending $50 for a UFC PPV, or spending $15 to see live Pro Wrestling, and support a local business. We know which we would choose.

thank you

On the latest radio show, Dave points out that comparing a touring Rock band to wrestling is ridiculous. It's all from a WWE legal letter or political ad that compared wrestlers to tennis players, golfers, and rock musicians who tour. Dave seems to feel that "rock stars" still promote their shows through the local promoters and it's not a nationwide thing at least that's how it was in the old days...Dave did say he wasn't all that up to date on the "Rock star" thing. And besides

none of those are analogous to pro wrestling

Because, I guess "rock and roll concerts" have never been like wrestling, with the sleazy promoters and entertainment.

On the latest radio show, Dave points out that comparing a touring Rock band to wrestling is ridiculous. It's all from a WWE legal letter or political ad that compared wrestlers to tennis players, golfers, and rock musicians who tour. Dave seems to feel that "rock stars" still promote their shows through the local promoters and it's not a nationwide thing at least that's how it was in the old days...Dave did say he wasn't all that up to date on the "Rock star" thing. And besides

Because, I guess "rock and roll concerts" have never been like wrestling, with the sleazy promoters and entertainment.

I was listening to that and thought the same thing. Clearly concert promotion is nothing like pro wrestling, what with all the local promoters largely replaced by a nationwide conglomerate.

The one thing that is exactly like wrestling, and Dave missed it completely. Maybe he has some form of dyslexia.

His "arguement" about his saying AJ and then suddenly Angle then back to AJ is/are better than Arn is just mind boggling. And it goes on and on and on.

You see, it's 2010 AJ vs 1986 Arn and Flair says Angle is the best while Lucha is what makes the point. And that's why Calgary was the best. :blink:

I'm not saying that Dave should be an experet on the world of Concert promotion, but it IS a funny comment given the whole "This sport is wrestling" stuff.

I was listening to that and thought the same thing. Clearly concert promotion is nothing like pro wrestling, what with all the local promoters largely replaced by a nationwide conglomerate.

The one thing that is exactly like wrestling, and Dave missed it completely. Maybe he has some form of dyslexia.

Dave and Bryan need to see more concerts in Las Vegas together. Bryan Alvarez in the November 18th 2008 Figure Four Weekly Newsletter:

On Friday night I saw Wayne Newton perform live. The guy is 67-years-old and a worker to the very core. He's the kind of guy that exudes such an intense superstar aura that I decided every young wrestler in the entire world needed to come to the MGM Grand in Las Vegas this week and watch him perform. When the show was over, I thought, "UFC is going to have to have a pretty damn awesome show to top this."

His "arguement" about his saying AJ and then suddenly Angle then back to AJ is/are better than Arn is just mind boggling. And it goes on and on and on.

You see, it's 2010 AJ vs 1986 Arn and Flair says Angle is the best while Lucha is what makes the point. And that's why Calgary was the best. :blink:

I think he negated the "but Flair thinks Angle is the best ever" point by going on about how WWF workers in 1989 thought Tully and Arn were so overrated and in 2001 thought DDP was so overrated, because they couldn't work WWF style. So why should we take what Flair says with anything more than a pinch of salt?

I think the Flair shootfest that happened in the last year or two proved that he had some very specific thoughts about wrestling and psychology and they don't necessarily sync up with, at the very least, what a lot of other people around here think.

Also, I know that at the very least Michaels goes on in his book about how much Arn and Tully taught them. (end of page 137, if the link works).

http://books.google.com/books?id=whe0idKbG...ion&f=false

.... of course, he doesn't appreciate just how great (and smart) Demolition were in their first MSG match with the Rockers right before the face turn and just complains that they didn't sell the Rockers' offense enough, so maybe that entire chapter is suspect.

On the latest radio show, Dave points out that comparing a touring Rock band to wrestling is ridiculous. It's all from a WWE legal letter or political ad that compared wrestlers to tennis players, golfers, and rock musicians who tour. Dave seems to feel that "rock stars" still promote their shows through the local promoters and it's not a nationwide thing at least that's how it was in the old days...Dave did say he wasn't all that up to date on the "Rock star" thing.

Live Nation, anyone?

I'm trying to figure out just how many decades out of date Dave is. Didn't Mike and the Jacksons "sell" the Victory Tour to Chuck Sullivan (with Don King) for a guarantee? Stuff like that has happened a fair amount over the years, and now it pretty par for the course among top acts: they have a national promoter/company handling shit. Live Nation with U2, Madona and Jay-Z simply is the biggest, but not the only one.

John

Dave and Bryan need to see more concerts in Las Vegas together. Bryan Alvarez in the November 18th 2008 Figure Four Weekly Newsletter:

On Friday night I saw Wayne Newton perform live. The guy is 67-years-old and a worker to the very core. He's the kind of guy that exudes such an intense superstar aura that I decided every young wrestler in the entire world needed to come to the MGM Grand in Las Vegas this week and watch him perform. When the show was over, I thought, "UFC is going to have to have a pretty damn awesome show to top this."

I'm thinking Bryan might be taking too many pulls from:

Posted Image

Before seeing Wayne.

John

Live Nation should be on Dave's radar after the Yamma debacle, so that was pretty surprising. Either way, it's a pretty big wrestling bubble moment. Live Nation is pretty ubiquitous nowadays, especially after the Madonna deal and Ticketmaster merger.

On the latest radio show, Dave points out that comparing a touring Rock band to wrestling is ridiculous. It's all from a WWE legal letter or political ad that compared wrestlers to tennis players, golfers, and rock musicians who tour. Dave seems to feel that "rock stars" still promote their shows through the local promoters and it's not a nationwide thing at least that's how it was in the old days...Dave did say he wasn't all that up to date on the "Rock star" thing.

Live Nation, anyone?

I'm trying to figure out just how many decades out of date Dave is. Didn't Mike and the Jacksons "sell" the Victory Tour to Chuck Sullivan (with Don King) for a guarantee? Stuff like that has happened a fair amount over the years, and now it pretty par for the course among top acts: they have a national promoter/company handling shit. Live Nation with U2, Madona and Jay-Z simply is the biggest, but not the only one.

John

Kind of crazy alright on a lot of levels consider Live Nation and Clear Channel are more important than traditional record labels. Dave should know this on a general business, live event and frankly general knowledge levels. Not only that but on a personal level in interviews he said Springsteen is his favourite artist and his with live nation.

Didn't think Bruce was with Live Nation in the way that U2, Madona and Jay-Z were. I recall him being pissed off about the Live Nation / Ticketmasters merger.

John

I forgot that actually, even more so Dave should know then I guess.

• 2 weeks later...