Pro Wrestling Only

[1996-04-29-NJPW-Battle Formation] Genichiro Tenryu vs Tatsumi Fujinami

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty compelling match. Fujinami is a bloody mess, to a point where this match is hard to watch at times. Still, Tenryu's shots looked great, and his casual facial expressions, not at all phased by the incredible amount of blood loss, are great. Tenryu makes fairly easy work of him. Not competitive enough to be a truly great match, but worth seeing.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought Fujinami got in plenty of stuff given the context of his shattered nose. I loved him calling back to his cruiswerweight days with the early topes and throwing desperate potato shots once Tenryu had him in trouble. Tenryu is probably the all-time-great dick. Can't beat his contemptuous little facials as he booted Fujinami in his busted nose. I liked the fact that he kept looking at the ref to stop it, because it made Fujinami's last rally all the more dramatic. Fujinami gushing blood on Tenryu's chest as he held him in the dragon sleeper was another tremendous visual. This, Muta-Shinzaki and Hash-Takada made for a perfect run of dome-show matches.

This came in 3rd in my 'best Japanese matches under 10 minutes' tournament last spring, and did best for everything after 1990. The first time I watched it, way way back in my early puro watching days, I couldn't fully appreciate Tenryu's attitude and stuff like the little face punts. I just thought it was a squash that took too long to end. Now, it comes across as something really memorable. Was there any Tenryu/Fujinami interaction in '96 after this?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest Ventura

This was awesome. After the broken nose there was a feel in the air that something was wrong, which made it very real in my eyes. Watching a calm Tenryu slowly destroying the bloody mess of Fujinami was just sick.

• 3 years later...

No fancy-ass shit here (except those two topes). Fujinami starts off hot, goes for the tope one too many times, gets his nose busted, and then this is just a flat-out war. This isn't as good as it would have been around 1988 but it's a hell of a match for two guys on the downside (even though Tenryu is timeless, both from a conditioning and a style standpoint).

Edit: Oh God--Tenryu's "hey, you gotta little somethin' on your nose" to Fujinami after the match is one of the greatest moments of the year.

• 1 month later...

This was great. Tenryu was a complete dick and Fujinami dipped into the fountain of youth and may have turned in his best performance of the 1990's. Short match but really great why it lasted and full of fight. A vicious spectacle that adds to both GOAT cases. ****1/4

• 10 months later...

I had heard Tenryu broke Fujinami's nose in this match but after watching this, it actually looked like he smashed his fucking face in with Fujinami pouring blood everywhere. Tenryu was just the biggest prick here by ruthlessly targeting the nose and doing it so casually. Tremendous heel performance and Fujinami gave great fiery underdog performance.

• 1 year later...

Genichiro Tenryu vs Tatsumi Fujinami - NJPW 4/29/96

Fujinami's face looks like a murder scene about 3 minutes into this. Tenyru caved his face in when Fujinami was going for a suicide dive and blood was pouring like a faucet from his face. Damn sure made this match compelling as hell and pretty uncomfortable to watch. Fujinami was on a roll with dragon screw leg whip and two BADASS suicide dives that make all the modern WWE guys look like nancy boys. Then Tenryu crushed his nose and it all changed. Fujinami did get a figure-4, but then basically passed out in his own figure-4 from blood loss. tenryu was the ultimate dick looking to the crowd like why is this guy being such a chump and just waiting to chop the hell out of him. It is classic Tenryu the big punches to the side of the head of the injured Fujinami drawing boos. The powerbomb, lariats and reverse elbow. Fujinami gets a Dragon Sleeper as a hope spot before Tenryu puts him with a Mack Truck Lariat! Post-match, Tenryu is like you got something on your face and Fujinami slaps the shit out of him. Way better than I expected. Thought it be two legends doing a greatest hits package instead it was a bloody, heated affair. ****

• 2 months later...

I liked this a lot but not as much as others. Fujinami's topes at the beginning were awesome. Fujinami bleeds a bunch and some of his brief comeback teases are great, especially one where he's firing back with punches. But overall, I feel like this was largely just an exceptionally good competitive squash.

• GSR changed the title to [1996-04-29-NJPW-Battle Formation] Genichiro Tenryu vs Tatsumi Fujinami
  • 1 year later...

Incredible.  This starts off super hot with the dives and then the violence creates the drama that leads to the great mannerisms and expressions from Tenryu.  Fujinami, as noted, gives a great underdog fiery performance as it goes on.  The slap at the end is pretty classic.  Great match.

• 3 years later...

Out of all Tenryu's Tokyo Dome dream matches, this may be my favourite. There isn't a lot of meat on the bones but it's a simple match, made simpler by the fact that Fujinami's nose explodes within minutes. Fujinami gets the better of Tenryu and starts launching topes that send Tenryu crashing into the barricade head first but he pushes his luck on the 3rd attempt as Tenryu is able to scout it out and blocks it with what I can only imagine is a wicked punch to the nose (photographer is in the way so we miss the punch but we do see the follow up punches that land right on the mark). This puts Fujinami into an immediate vulnerable position. It's fight or flight time and it's amazing. Tenryu works the nose the only way he can, brutal punches and kicks, while Fujinami desperately attacks Tenryu's leg to get the quick win before Tenryu inevitably punishes him for his earlier mistake. The drama is palpable with Fujinami struggling to see or breath fighting for his life. Fujinami is able to snag a Dragon Sleeper but that was his last chance before being put away with a running lariat to end this classic. ****1/2

• 1 month later...

Tatsumi Fujinami vs Genichiro Tenryu (NJPW - 4/29/1996)

A match as packed as you’ll ever see, Fujinami and Tenryu go back and forth in an absolute classic with iconic images that will last in your brain forever, this match is spectacular in every sense of the word, it’s incredibly violent as well, I personally think it’s the most violent match Fujinami has had so far in his career, considering I’ve covered almost 20 years that’s quite a feat, Fujinami isn’t known for being especially violent but the last five matches of his I covered have been pretty rough, not what I expected going into this, I came here for his technical skill but I won’t complain because violent Fujinami is as good as technical Fujinami and he isn’t young anymore so losing some of his quickness on the mat is perfectly understandable, the change from the late 70’s to 1996 is very impressive he never fails to surprise me and this match is no exception, the WAR vs NJPW feud is over but there’s still some resentment left in both Tatsumi and Tenryu, around this time Tenryu was involved in a feud with the ace of UWF-I Nobuhiko Takada, they had a legendary trilogy in 1996 spanning two promotions (WAR and UWF-I) but I’d say this match is better than any Tenryu vs Takada, Tenryu’s specialty is beating people without showing any emotion whatsoever while Fujinami’s is his facial expressions and they shine even brighter in brawls like this one, this match is famous for an especific moment, Tenryu busted Fujinami’s nose for real in one of their heated exchanges which resulted in Fujinami having a bloodied nose for the rest of the match, absolutely worth watching, a masterpiece, two veterans beating each other up, it can’t get better than this.