Pro Wrestling Only

[1996-06-23-WWF-King of the Ring] Steve Austin vs Marc Mero

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

Tremendous match. It had been a while since I saw this so I wasn't sure how it would look now. I love Austin during this time period because he's doing all this really basic 70s style matwork that no one was doing, which seemed fresh because it had been dormant so long. I really love his wrestling style because he focuses on just doing really basic, no frills wrestling really well.

Mero is tremendous here too, pulling out some nice highspots. They give this match plenty of time to develop and it gets really heated toward the end.

This should be talked about more.

• 3 weeks later...

I loved it back then, and rewatching it, it's truly an excellent match. Is there any proof out there than Mero was a good worker at this point ? I mean, it should be pretty obvious. Yeah, Mero was a missed opportunity. He should have been given a long IC title reign, and probably would have done much better if not for the severe knee injury. I don't think he could have been El Hijo del Macho Man, but he and Sable brought some glamour back to the product, something that had been absent since the early 90's.

• 1 month later...

I loved it back then, and rewatching it, it's truly an excellent match. Is there any proof out there than Mero was a good worker at this point ? I mean, it should be pretty obvious. Yeah, Mero was a missed opportunity. He should have been given a long IC title reign, and probably would have done much better if not for the severe knee injury. I don't think he could have been El Hijo del Macho Man, but he and Sable brought some glamour back to the product, something that had been absent since the early 90's.

Besides Savage and Flair, Mero was the best part of early 96 WCW. Especially his feud with DDP and his matches on Saturday Night.

I agree about the match. It's really good, especially since Austin was injured midway through it.

• 1 month later...

Fantastic! This one reminds me if Badd/DDP in late 95, with Austin working a more old school rasslin style and Mero working his same near-lucha. They both come out of this one looking great. Is it possible Austin lost a tooth? He certainly seems to have hurt his back.

• 2 years later...

A well worked contest with a nice contrast in styles. Mero was the high flying risk taker who pulled off some spectacular moves. Austin was the more fundamentally sound grounded worker at this time. Effective heel control segments with the right amount of fightback. The sections of the match fitted together logically and the closing stages swung back and forth. Plus clean heel win shocker. This type of match was more NWA or early WCW in style than WWF. Too cerebral for Vince's liking.

• 11 months later...

Tremendous bout, with Austin busting out all kinds of stuff that went by the wayside as Stone Cold exploded. I'd put this as Mero'd 3rd-best career match, behind Pillman and the Fall Brawl bout with Regal. He's very game here, and I loved how they used both finishes from Mero's first two KOTR rounds as false finishes here.

• 3 months later...

I may be the low vote as some of the awkwardness of Mero being slightly out of position took it out for me. Austin did have a great gameplan targeting the back and felt really calculated and cold during this match. It was a nice feat for him to hand the Wildman his first loss. I still enjoyed this and the time given but it wasn't as good this watch as I remembered it being. ***

• 1 year later...

Heck of an opener. I liked all of Austin's matwork in this. He's very old school stylistically during this time & I love it. Mero has got to be one of the more ambitious wrestlers of his time. He's always trying new things & the high flying offense is really unique for someone his size. Not everything looks great. It's hit or miss, but it's fun to watch. I liked the near falls for Mero calling back to previous KotR matches too. Great finish. Austin's mouth got busted up pretty badly it seems.

• 6 months later...

Wow this turned into a really, really good match. It feels like Mero has a bad reputation thanks to how buried he got during Sable's push and Foley putting him down his book, but he looked great here. Just taking this match by itself, I would have had Mero pegged as the better wrestler. Austin works over Mero for a good while and does a solid job of it, including a great looking Thesz press, but the match really gets good when Mero makes a comeback. Everything Mero does here looks really good -- a nice running dropkick, some good dives, a really cool trust-fall like dive out of the corner. Cool ending with Austin dropping Mero throat-first onto the ropes and following it up with the Stunner. Seems like this would have to be high on the list of Austin's best singles matches at this point in his career.

• GSR changed the title to [1996-06-23-WWF-King of the Ring] Steve Austin vs Marc Mero