Pro Wrestling Only

Former WWE Writer's Blog

Strummer

http://www.wrestlingrecall.blogspot.com/

some tidbits from the former WWE writer's blog (JohnasHimself)

-the Bellas/Bryan triangle storyline was the Bellas idea and they ran with it

-the word "sex" is not allowed on WWE TV so the angle will be full of innuendo

-the writer pitched a similar storyline for Evan Bourne

-Vince does not see Morrison as a top guy because he "can't kick anyone's ass"

-Vince does not see Bryan as a badass but a wrestler who "capitalizes on other's mistakes"

-Vince sees Skip Sheffield as a potential top babyface right behind Cena

-he pitched Drew McIntrye as the original attacker of Undertaker

-Randy Orton was originally going to win the RAW MITB match but it was switched to Miz

-McCool does not get any special privilege for being married to Undertaker

that's all that I remember. There's more but all these were pretty interesting

Overall, and this is not suprising, it seems Vince is scared to death about pushing new guys. Everything seems to go back to Cena and Orton

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-McCool does not get any special privilege for being married to Undertaker

I just don't understand that position. Even if it's not any kind of official agreement, surely they have pushed her to the moon in order to keep him happy? She's a decent hand in the ring, especially when working with someone else who has talent (granted, that's basically Nattie and Beth only). She can't cut a genuine sounding promo, even when she's being the bitch I think she probably is. She has never been over with fans, as best I can tell from crowd response. LayCool is mildly amusing, but it's not grabbed the fans the way the original Beautiful People did -- the same angle, but one which dominated TNA's ratings for months.

It is what it is. Just thought I would mention my thoughts.

Seems like McCool didnt get special privilege from this writers perspective at least because she didnt need to:

Fun Fact #2: Vince McMahon appointed me the exclusive writer for LayCool. Not because she got that special privilege but because we asked for it. Let me take this time to say Michelle McCool gets zero favors because she is married to Undertaker. Michelle McCool accomplished everything she got because she was the best. If you need to blame someone you need to blame me because I was the one who would push hard for anything Michelle got on TV. Michelle could wrestle and Michelle could talk, a lot of MALE Superstars can’t do that and Michelle would have been successful with or without Undertaker. There were a lot of people who wanted to see Michelle fail and she fought that the entire time I was there.

Still not like "they" stopped her push in mid-stream or anything.

Seems like McCool didnt get special privilege from this writers perspective at least because she didnt need to:

Fun Fact #2: Vince McMahon appointed me the exclusive writer for LayCool. Not because she got that special privilege but because we asked for it. Let me take this time to say Michelle McCool gets zero favors because she is married to Undertaker. Michelle McCool accomplished everything she got because she was the best. If you need to blame someone you need to blame me because I was the one who would push hard for anything Michelle got on TV. Michelle could wrestle and Michelle could talk, a lot of MALE Superstars can’t do that and Michelle would have been successful with or without Undertaker. There were a lot of people who wanted to see Michelle fail and she fought that the entire time I was there.

Still not like "they" stopped her push in mid-stream or anything.

Laughable. Whatever the reason for her push, he's wrong about her being able to talk. I will agree she can wrestle, but so could lots of guys. If you can't talk, you're missing the point. Especially with deevers, who only get a few minutes of screentime to get themselves and their whole division over.

I read the entry about the TLC show. It was an interesting read, but there's a little too much, "I had this great idea to push so and so, and they didn't want to do it, then they changed their minds and did it and it totally worked" kind of comments, to the point where it sort of strains his credibility. Like he's trying a little too hard to put himself over.

Honestly, I was a little skeptical because nothing he wrote couldn't have been written by a knowledgeable fan, and there's been a number of these kind of hoaxes on the internet. Stuff like every writer submitting a script for PPV shows, writers being given worker specific promo tasks, Kevin Dunn having heavy influence....all stuff we already know.

He says he's going to do audio shows with F4W and the Torch soon, so those should be interesting if they do happen.

Considering McCool gets to skip houseshows to take care of Taker, the idea that she doesn't get special treatment is laughable. You pretty much never see anyone allowed to miss a show unless it's a main eventer out filming a movie or trying to protect an injury.

There is an absolutely hillarious piece on Dan Madigan's Mondo-Lucha-a Go-go book by Ranjan Chibber which I want to say is titled "Paul Heyman: The Luchador's Friend".

Reading something written by a WWE writer may give you an insight into the thoughts of a WWE writer but probably shouldn't be used to draw larger conclusions.

That's not unique to writers. I don't think I could ever tell you what the motivation behind which ideas went forward and which stalled in any job I've had. Sometimes when there are a couple years between me and a project, I can go "Hey wait this is the larger pattern". but still.

It is legit Dave Lagana linked to his twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/Lagana/status/27487828573159424

Here: http://twitter.com/#!/JohnAsHimself

Real name John Piermarini

Nothing new, obviously, but I don't think the fact that the company has writers that no one has ever heard of ever stops being annoying.

Hey Loss, you are talking about someone who worked on Pimp My Ride here bit of respect. :lol:

You know, if I was a Smackdown writer wanting to succeed in the promotion, I'd make the bland Michelle McCool the franchise female on the brand and copy TNA's best women's gimmick in an attempt to get her over, while professing that she got such a big push because of her all round talent too! Given that he's now an ex WWE employee, I guess management saw through this carny gimmick. :)

My favorite thing was Rotunda getting upset because he wanted to use the mini ladder in the Raw MITB match but they had already used it in the Smackdown one. I didn't even realize he was a Raw agent. I thought he was training the kids down at FCW.

No he is with the main roster, alright. Ive heard Matt Hardy, Helms and Paul London give him poor reviews inevitably pointing out how is someone who never drew tell someone how to draw.

No he is with the main roster, alright. Ive heard Matt Hardy, Helms and Paul London give him poor reviews inevitably pointing out how is someone who never drew tell someone how to draw.

Rotunda is really over among insiders. For instance, Steve Williams in 2001 or so was talking about wanting to do himself and Mike vs TenChono or TenKoji at a Tokyo Dome show, which Steve said would be an incredible match. Which made me wonder how closely Steve watched Mike's matches.

This was posted a few days ago:

He says he's going to do audio shows with F4W and the Torch soon, so those should be interesting if they do happen.

Obviously things have changed with the blog. But also now Bryan thinks the F4D interivew with John may not happen now despite it being scheduled two weeks ago and Wade wrote this line in his big reveal for the new Torch Talk:

I just finished the final installment 15 minutes ago. We recorded four hours over the last two days in three separate conversations.

It is John Piermarini, who last October left WWE after nearly two years as a writer under Brian Gewirtz writing primarily Raw.

I don't think there's been a combination of a more in-depth and timely insider interview with someone who worked with all of the major players in WWE as this interview other than Vince Russo's in-depth Torch Talk right after leaving the WWF for WCW, although that interview wasn't as long as this one. If you liked the Ultimate Insider Russo/Ferrara interview, this is along the same lines, but also with some differences as Russo was the top writer and John was the assistant to Gewirtz.

I wouldn't say John has axes to grind, but you will not sense he's protecting anyone and he definitely has strong opinions and disagreements with multiple people and just some great stories and insights into how WWE works. This will be read or listened to by everyone who is curious about WWE's inner-workings the last two years and behind the scenes stories regarding top wrestlers and storylines and matches.

You all will devour it, and I promise it's not going to take a year to publish it all in either audio or text. I'll have part one of the audio posted this weekend.

He's also agreed to be a guest on the Livecast to take live calls sometime soon. And he has no other interviews scheduled or plans to do others, so this is an exclusive at this time