Pro Wrestling Only

TNA vs Herb Abrams UWF

Jingus

This got mentioned in another thread, and thought it might be fun for its own debate. Which company is the all-time worst wrestling federation to ever air on national television in America?

One problem with the comparison is just differences in era. TNA is gonna have a hell of a lot more promos and backstage skits and such, because that's just how they do things nowadays. UWF was much more match-heavy, but the matches were often pretty godawful.

I admittedly have seen very little UWF, so I don't have much of a dog in this fight. Just a few scattered matches here and there, and I rarely caught the show when it was re-airing on ESPN Classics a while back. It did look approximately as mind-numbingly awful as its reputation would suggest. But for those of you familiar with the product, I think this would be an interesting discussion.

And if anyone else can make a compelling case for any other national promotion being the worst-ever, that'd be relevant here as well.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's worth noting that with all the talent and star power TNA's had over the last five years, it takes special skill to produce a product that is so universally loathed.

That's the power of Vince Russo!

I haven't watched a TNA PPV since 2008 or an Impact episode since 1/4/2010. Does TNA still call themselves "The New Face in Professional Wrestling?"

Honestly TNA is so utterly absurd if you look at it on the whole over it's entire lifespan that I think you have to start reaching out of wrestling and into completely different fields to start actually finding a valid comparison at this point. And I'm not even sure what those comparisons would be. It's not even just the product being shit. You've also got to add in what seems like a disproportionately high amount of tension between the employees, the seemingly reckless condoning of some employee's substance problems, the way it seems to be a complete money funnel down the tubes (even though a lot of it's employees seem underpaid), having a unique owner that is completely oblivious etc. If you start listing all the specifics of those it could drag on for ever. And on top of those things, the in-ring product has to be at least ballpark of UWF, but with SWERVES every second match.

I almost don't want it to ever die. I want to see how long it can possibly go. A social experiment, if you will.

I've seen a few Abrams UWF, and while it wasn't exactly good, it looked like an old territory with past their prime veterans. Plus it didn't last, and was barely a spot on the map of wrestling.

TNA has been around since 2002, is officially the second company in the US and really, the only "major" one next to WWE, although not in the same Universe, pun intended. I truly can't stand WWE's product, and as much as I would love to support an alternative, TNA is probbaly the worst "big" promotion ever. The fact that Vince Russo still has a job, that they hired Bischoff in spite of his track records is just mind exploding at this point. Good for the wrestlers who can make a living out of it, and I don't mean the girls since at some point the champ had to have a real job on the side, but it's just a fucking horrible wrestling company. Jeff Jarrett has learned exactly nothing from his father.

TNA is one of the absolute worst wrestling promotions I have ever seen. Maybe even the worst. I just don't understand how they can look at their product and think it looks good. Kind of like a dude with a Nazi tattoo on his forehead thinking he looks hot. How Vince Russo is still employed is beyond me. How one of the wrestlers haven't suplexed him on the floor yet is also beyond my thinking capabilities. Seriously. How does that man have a job that probably pays him seven figures? Add in Bischoff, Hogan & Jeff Jarrett. Shit. The funny and sad thing is that the WWE could pop TNA like a bug if tomorrow they offered all TNA talent a contract. It'd be like the mass exodus All Japan got fucked with in 2000.

Turner lost money with WCW for what, two, three years? TNA cannot be making Panda Energy very much money considering their buyrates and television ratings are abysmal for the "#2" wrestling promotion in America. I mean, they literally do not know how to book a wrestling promotion. My fiancee could do a better job than the combined efforts of the current management roster.

How does that man have a job that probably pays him seven figures?

Dixie Carter is a retard.

It's disgusting that this man makes a living, and a good one at that, while he is fucking horrible at his job and has a proven record of being a disaster for the last 13 years.

Life is unfair. Politics and cooptation > talent.

So besides WCW at different points, TNA is ran by non-wrestling personnel. I often think to myself, "How can I improve ____." I wonder if TNA management ever have that similar thought go through their minds? I mean, would any of the TNA management say, "We are a great wrestling company," and not be lying to themselves? The obvious answer to both of my questions is no, but I am more curious of what you guys think.

At any rate, is TNA beyond saving at this point? Or has too much water gotten in over the sides and their buckets too small to make a difference?

TNA has gotten to the point where they can't even decide what they name of their company is. Some people are pushing for Impact Wrestling, so are still loyal to TNA, so you hear both. You can't even make this stuff up. I've accepted that TNA exists to bring us great comedy, and that's it. Reading Meltzer's TV recaps and listening to his post-PPV audios make the company's existence worthwhile.

TNA has gotten to the point where they can't even decide what they name of their company is. Some people are pushing for Impact Wrestling, so are still loyal to TNA, so you hear both. You can't even make this stuff up. I've accepted that TNA exists to bring us great comedy, and that's it. Reading Meltzer's TV recaps and listening to his post-PPV audios make the company's existence worthwhile.

The mere fact that the company was called TNA is a joke that wrote itself. They couldn't think of an acronym that wasn't embarrasing to begin with ? One that would include the world wrestling and would not evoque tits & ass ?

Reading Meltzer's TV recaps and listening to his post-PPV audios make the company's existence worthwhile.

More worthwhile is Bryan Alvarez writing the following sentence in his Figure Four Weekly newsletter after watching the comedy match on Impact two weeks ago where Eric Young pinned Mr Anderson dressed as the Great Muta:

I -- get ready -- HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE THIS FUCKING SHOW~!~!!~!!~!~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was the one who asked this question in Comments that don't warrant, and I asked it because my cycle is to watch about 15 minutes of TNA every 4 or 5 months.

Done that since it has been aired here in the UK and I can honestly say that each and every minute was painful for me, as a wrestling fan, to sit through. It's like ritual torture. I don't even know the storylines, but it's all so horribly inept that I can tell that a) they don't make sense and B ) no one gives a shit.

Also, there's just way way way too much back office stuff on camera.

I was wondering though, what was that promotion with Jumpin Jeff Farmer in it? Those are the worst promos I've ever seen, laugh out loud funny bad. If that was national, it must run TNA close.

(even though a lot of it's employees seem underpaid)

The best example yet: TNA wrestler Jesse Neal tweets that he's qualified for food stamps!

Yeah that new piece of news was one of the specific reasons I threw that comment in. Although there's been stories in the past about things like workers (and not even new guys, but veterans you should know what you're getting) being offered tryout matches where they have to come down and work a dark match, pay for their own rent-a-car and hotel etc. I don't know if that's still going on but it did at one point, and it seems very lowball for a company with the kind of backing they have and who want to be the #2 representation of their industry on the continent. I know it's not news that there is a massive gap in wrestling between what the big stars and the little people make, but a company of this size should be doing better. The worst paid workers in WWE are still making a living, at least.

Although there's been stories in the past about things like workers (and not even new guys, but veterans you should know what you're getting) being offered tryout matches where they have to come down and work a dark match, pay for their own rent-a-car and hotel etc. I don't know if that's still going on but it did at one point

They are indeed still doing that. I forget who the most recent examples were, but they were guys who'd actually worked for TNA in the past. They KNOW exactly what those guys can do. I'd assume that it's probably a fuck-off message to people they don't really want to deal with, or to test exactly how "committed" they are to TNA.

When Loss posed that question 4 years ago, I thought there was no way since 2005 had some pretty good stuff sprinkled throughout, the X division still had its supporters, they did employ net favorites like Samoa Joe. Now? No company has done worse that has been around so long. Not one other company sucks as bad as long as TNA. By far, the worst company in pro wrestling history. The other shitty companies mentioned in the previous thread at least disappeared after a couple of years. This fucking piece of shit has been around almost a decade. Disgraceful.

Vince Russo was a first ballot Hall of Fame fuck up when employed by WCW. He destroyed the promotion I watched as a young child. His wickedness has only intensified over the past decade. There exists a particular circle of hell that houses men like Russo. The only problem being, he also qualifies for other circles too.