Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-03-07-SMW-TV] Rip Rogers and Tim Horner

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

One thing SMW did pretty well was the asshole babyface thing. Tim Horner is pretty clearly a dick for kicking the chair out from Rip Rogers, but because Rip Rogers is an even bigger dick for doing squats for an entire hour for no real reason, it makes Tim Horner the babyface.

• 4 weeks later...

Well Horner never got over even though he was booked as #1 or # 2 face for long stretches. My point it was a little too early to try to book Horner or any face to do something like that because they weren't established and the fans didn't know what was happening. Heck Rogers seemed more likeable in this scenario. Fans didn't know what to make of this.

Horner didn't get over because he was a terrible promo. Brian Lee was pretty awful too but Horner just sucked at it. They tried really hard with Horner too. They were stopping short of him saving kittens from trees on the early shows. He was kind of over but other faces got over with a lot less. I mean Dixie Dy-No-Mite was probably more over than Horner after an appearance or two.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I actually thought Caudle was the highlight of this, playing his role perfectly as the naive-or-is-he-really commentator. Neither Horner nor Rogers really react to this strongly enough to resonate. Rogers goes right back to squatting when I'd have preferred to see him throw a shitfit instead.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Rogers is still doing his free squats and Horner asks Bob Caudle how long he has left. Caudle turns round to check and Horner kicks the chair from Rogers who falls over. Caudle turns back round to see Rogers on the floor and says how the time was 59:30 but Rogers has failed in his attempt. Rip gets back up and continues to do more squats whilst Horner just leaves.

Strange segment and I don't get how we are supposed to be supporting Horner in this as it was a total dick move to pull. Maybe someone else could have pulled it off better, but Horner really is terrible. I'm dreading to see more from him as I plough through my SMW sets.

• 4 months later...

I guess we're supposed to believe that Rip's remark about how he's going to spend all of Horner's money was justification enough for what Horner did.

I think the reason we didn't get an attack from Rip was that we were too close to the end of the show. Still, I would have loved to see Rip actually complete his task, then slap Horner or something as Tim puts his hand out for a handshake. That would have been much more effective in terms of both getting a crowd reaction and establishing just who the face and heel were supposed to be in this scenario. Maybe Corny was so busy with a thousand and one other things that he just forgot to write it, but surely professionals like these two could have improvised something. Still, all is not lost, as we get a match between the two the following week. I can't wait to see it!

The comedy moment of the segment was Rip counting each squat as six while Bob was trying to close the show. That's about what you would expect from a man who calls himself "Hustler".

• GSR changed the title to [1992-03-07-SMW-TV] Rip Rogers and Tim Horner
  • 1 year later...

I had hoped for a better end for this.  We knew Rogers wasn't going to be able to finish or Bob Caudle was going to catch him resting or whatever, but this seemed like a bad way to do it.  I would agree that a confrontation of sorts would have worked better and poor Rip made his leg muscles that sore for a nothing reaction.