Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-04-04-SMW-TV] Interview: Jim Cornette / Interview: Ron Wright & Dirty White Boy

Loss

• 1 month later...

Again, Cornette is here to introduce his new tag team and they sneak into a hotel. I laugh when Cornette pulls out the key, remembering this was in the pre-card days for hotels. Again, he's unable to debut his team because women swarm them yet again. He says next week, he'll have his team here live. He even suggests bringing in the National Guard and putting seatbelts on the women sitting in the audience.

Then, we get Ron Wright and DWB, who seems fine after the Moondogs attack earlier that morning in the USWA. :) They're putting the badmouth on Brian Lee, and Lee comes out to defend himself.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Cornette is at one of the best hotels in town and we still don't get an appearance from the Bodies. Good stuff from Cornette yet again.

Back in studio, Ron Wright's health is being upset while DWB delivers a great heel promo setting up Volunteer Slam before Brian Lee comes out to confront him. I like DWB's schtick as a heel in SMW so much moreso than as a face in Memphis.

• 3 months later...

Cornette is 0-for-3 in unveiling his tag team, as he opens the hotel door and is greeted by thrown underwear.

Ron Wright is through being nice about requesting money, and now he's laying into the hillbilly redneck fans, before clutching his heart and having to stop. DWB's Brian Lee impersonation cracks me up.

Lee rebuts, rather stiffly. Wright is thankful that DWB is too gentlemanly to squash Lee in front of everyone on TV.

• 2 years later...

Cornette has had a lot of problems again this week! Rainey is outside one of Knoxville's finest hotels when Cornette appears and tells him to keep his voice down and hide the camera as he doesn't want anything to go wrong this time. He tells him to follow him and hopes that he hasn't blabbed again, whilst he can only stay a minute as the guys are training, always working and never relaxing. Cornette opens the door of the room in which they are 'training' only to be met with women's voices asking who he is, throwing their underwear at him and telling him to get out of here. They shut the door on him and Cornette thinks Rainey has done it again. In the studio, Bob Caudle is starting to doubt whether he has a team at all, but Cornette assures us that next week his team will be here live as their tag team tournament match is scheduled. He is going to tell Commissioner Armstrong that he wants extra security, police and that these fat, ugly, corn fed women have seat belts on their chairs as he's afraid they'll drool on them, the TV equipment and we'll all be electrocuted!

Ron Wright is fed up with these no good, lying, hillbilly rasslin' fans! He's given them several weeks to get their cheques in to him, even given them the address on TV for where to send their donations to and he's received nothing. Anthony tells him to calm down as on 5/15 it's the Volunteer Slam, the SMW Heavyweight tournament and the likes of Horner, Gibson and Brian Lee could never beat him. Lee comes out (and Wright makes a sharp exit out the way), says he could beat Anthony and hopes they get to face each other in the tournament. Wright then says that it's a good job Anthony is a good gentleman, otherwise he would've squashed him here in front of everyone!

Good promo from Anthony and he hasn't been in the territory long but already looks like a tremendous addition. I know she turns up later at some point, but I do miss Kim!

• 4 months later...

I actually watched Ron and Tony first, and Ron stole the show as usual. He finally dropped the pathetic old man in a wheelchair act and skewered the fans for not being sympathetic toward him in the most unsympathetic way possible. It's almost like he felt that he didn't have to play nice anymore now that Tony was on the scene.

For his part, Tony stuck to putting over Volunteer Slam and the SMW title tournament. I loved him calling out Lee, and Lee had a pretty good line: "I know there's someone on the planet who can beat me, but it sure isn't you." He's not the best promo in the world, but he's better than Horner at this point.

The teases for the Bodies get more and more bizarre. I loved Corny's flummoxed expression as the women supposedly in the room flung their underwear at him, but what stole the show for me is Bob's skepticism over whether Corny even has a team. This is about the time when everyone in the audience would be wondering the same thing, and the timing is perfect, as they're guaranteed to show up next week for their first title tournament match. They could probably stretch this out one more week if they had to, but I'm glad they didn't, especially since I already know who the team is. I can't wait to see the reveal and what Bob and Dutch think about it.

Nice bit at the end about Corny asking Bullet Bob for extra security and bibs for the ladies at ringside. Corny's one of the few talkers who can make the same old kind of insults sound just new enough to draw fresh heat for himself. Piper's the only other person who fits this category, and it's fitting that Corny sees Rod as one of his influences, even though they were contemporaries.

• GSR changed the title to [1992-04-04-SMW-TV] Interview: Jim Cornette / Interview: Ron Wright & Dirty White Boy
  • 1 year later...

Everyone is better than Horner as a promo. :)  I wonder if any heel fans were disappointed after sending Ron Wright money when he didn't get any.  DWB is indeed a great talker.  Not so much Brian Lee though.   Corny did a great job reacting to the underwear being thrown at him.  And that "we're not on network television" remark had to be a shot at WCW.