Pro Wrestling Only

Favorite Stan Hansen matches!!!!

Guest Col. Da Bears

I haven't seen it in forever, and I don't remember thinking it was particularly good.... but my favorite Stan match is the one from the Meadowlands where he won the AWA Belt from Martel. Only because it was the first time I was ever at a show where a World Title changed. I just remember going nuts that I actually saw a title change live. And I almost missed it. My Mom had driven me and two pals to the show which was a PW USA card. It was a great card but it was REALLY long. By the time Stan/ Martel started nearly a third of the crowd had left, as the match was kinda boring (only cause it followed some fun heat filled stuff) and the crowd was exhausted. Mom said to me, "Can we go? It's late, and everyone else is going." I insisted that we stay and not 5 minutes later, Stan won the belt. :lol:

• 1 month later...

I have just gotten into Hansen pretty big and this thread has been infinitely helpful. If, for nothing else, just giving me an idea of matches to seek out. Maybe I should get some DVDs made or something, because I am really digging his AJPW stuff.

Another quick question: does anyone know why Bob Backlund turned WWE down in going into the Hall of Fame?

Another quick question: does anyone know why Bob Backlund turned WWE down in going into the Hall of Fame?

I believe Bob didn't want to go in becasue he still considered himself an active worker, with a chance to get pushed again. He saw the HOF offer as something for retired wrestlers.

So I've heard.

Backlund wrestled this year for that crappy JCW Legend show. He's still in pretty good shape, honestly. Granted he had to work Ken Patera, whom can't even move... Backlund looks better than pretty much every other wrestler his age. So he's doing something right. Now, another run in him at a top level? Naw. He seems legit crazy.

Sadly, the 1994 Bob Backlund run, while not hated, is not remembered as being as genius a concept as it was. Attacking Arnold Skaaland after all those years was terrific. And the finish to the Survivor Series '94 match is absolutely brilliant, with Backlund's post-match celebration without music and huge boos also being amazing. It is probably one of my favorite moments ever in the WWF.

So that said, anything we could get out of another big Bob Backlund run already happened in the last big Bob Backlund run.

Sadly, the 1994 Bob Backlund run, while not hated, is not remembered as being as genius a concept as it was. Attacking Arnold Skaaland after all those years was terrific. And the finish to the Survivor Series '94 match is absolutely brilliant, with Backlund's post-match celebration without music and huge boos also being amazing. It is probably one of my favorite moments ever in the WWF.

So that said, anything we could get out of another big Bob Backlund run already happened in the last big Bob Backlund run.

The Backlund heel turn was one of the best angle of the decade, and Backlund was amazing. The post-match promo at Survivor Series is jaw dropping. Just a terrific angle from start to bottom. Too bad it fizzled out after Backlund jobbed to Diesel, and the poor match with Bret Hart at WM11. But from the heel turn to Survivor Series, it was amazing.

Yeah, I too loved that heel run. Him just slapping anyone and everyone in the Crossface Chickenwing. It was pretty impressionable on me too. I put my social studies teach in the Chickenwing. Ha!

Him coming out in a suit with a bow-tie really put over how batshit crazy his character was too. Little things like that make all the difference.

The two things I gained a new appreciation for in the couple of months I recapped AWA on ESPN Classic for 411 were Boris Zhukov as a worker and Stan Hansen's crazy promos. I've actually never seen his most famous one besides the short clip on the WWE AWA DVD "I'm not in it for the women. . . . ." My favorite one is somewhat ironic, given how he lost the title. He'd had some kinda non finish with Blackwell, and basically dared Bockwinkel to show up in Denver the next night.

• 3 years later...

Just watched the 4/18/91 tag and I think it deserves a spot up there with some of Hansen's best for radically different reasons than most of the Stan Hansen matches I've seen that have already been mentioned. Hansen as the face-in-peril is incredible when it happens and it's really hard to believe that unless you've actually seen it.

Yeah, Hansen as the sympathetic babyface is so freaking great. But I still prefer Hansen the force of nature at the end that even Gordy couldn't keep under control. One thing about Hansen a lot of people miss is his selling and ability to switch gears when he needs to. He's always remembered as an all-time great for his offense, but he's the complete package.

Oh man, that match and the Kobashi match the night before are among my favorite Hansen matches. I would have to rewatch the Taue match to see if I thought it was in the same vein or not. I think the best comparison I can come up with off the top of my head is the 99 RWTL Final with Taue vs. Kobashi/Akiyama. The crowd so wanted the old school revival (Taue was almost like a fill-in for Baba as Hansen's partner) team to come through with the win against a heavily favored Burning team. Made for a completely different Stan Hansen match.

The Taue Carny match was a little different in that it was more a tour de force of body part selling. One of my favorite things about the Andre match from '81 is that it featured Stan in more of an underdog role. Also, check out the cage match blowoff with Colon where he was bouncing around to make the native superstar look great.

But yeah, I love the little sub-genre of matches built around Stan's selling.