Pro Wrestling Only

CM Punk: Greatest Promo Ever

goodhelmet

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the lack of comments last night can be equated to the angle taking a more linear turn - argument over who's the top challenger, no. 1 contender match, screw-job distraction finish that keeps both faces strong and beatdown by the heel champion to give some meat to the title feud. Nothing new to see there, and less of the insider stuff from Punk and less of the general air of surprise and energy that has characterised the angle so far. That's not to say it was bad, as it achieved what it was supposed to, and the initial promo was certainly fun.

Looks like they're either going triple threat for the next event or Punk v Nash. Even with the state of Nash these days, I hope it's the latter, three way title matches are formulaic and almost always unsatisfactory. At least there's a perverse fascination with seeing a CM Punk v Kevin Nash match, especially if you've followed Punk since the indies where such a thing would have seemed even more surreal and ludicrous.

They blew the original angle of Punk leaving with the belt, but I'm still excited about him getting such a big push. I don't think they've made this big of an effort to elevate a guy to main event babyface-level since Lashley. It's still shocking that he's had this many exchanges on the mic with HHH and has come out looking strong every time, I don't think that's happened in about ten years.

Obviously WWE made a serious mistake in hindsight:

Monday's WWE Raw television show drew a 2.97 rating, which is down from the 3.27 rating the show drew last week. Monday's Raw averaged 4.64 million viewers. The first hour produced 4.611 million viewers, and hour two scored 4.662 million viewers.

Powell's POV: WWE officials shouldn't point the finger of blame at C.M. Punk, John Cena, or any other wrestler. Rather, the blame falls on them for giving away the biggest match in pro wrestling with no advance warning. They have to stop booking on the fly so that they can start advertising matches like this in advance, especially with regular season Monday Night Football approaching.

ProWrestling.Net

I've often wondered why WWE doesn't announce on one week's "Raw" what next week's main event will be. They can hype it all week and then during the live telecast still stick in whatever storyline stuff they want. This would give them a better idea of who is drawing rather than their current model of trying to figure out how many people changed the channel.

They do it for Smackdown and the ratings don't do much. Of course, it's on Firday so that will be the excuse.

I'm liking how the shifted from Cena/Punk to HHH/Punk. The promo work has been good between both men but not liking Nash so far. I just can't believe the What chants are getting to him that bad.

Pft, what you really need to do is get back to pimping old school FMW and ripping matches. I need more Sambo Asako in my life.

I know, I got lazy and stopped rewieving old shows after a while. Sambo was so much fun at one point. I'll have to check out where exactly I stopped one of these days.

EDIT : actually, I stopped after 92 because most of the post 93 shows are well known. I think I uploaded every bit of Sambo I had.

Mike Johnson is reporting that MITB did 100,000 more buys than last years MITB.

Big Dave says otherwise:

"If you read the web site, the buys for Money in the Bank were 185,000 and domestic were 134,000.

The 276,000 number includes about 70,000 buys because they estimated low on Mania.

If you go to the web site and look at buys from the quarter not including late buys from the previous quarter, the numbers for both worldwide and domestic are right there.

Let me know when the corrections are made from the people reporting that didn't know how to read the tables after how many years."

More from Dave:

"The number was actually up 13%, less than the 20% Vince and the company expected.

Last year's show also didn't air in the U.K. on PPV but there was a strong domestic increase as well as an overseas decrease.

So the number was a little down from Vince's estimate a few weeks ago.

Good or bad depends on your point of view. It was good in that it's better than any B show is going to do the reset of the year, but slightly less than Elimination Chamber (worldwide less than Extreme Rules but that's not fair because Extreme Rules includes U.K.). For those who thought it was going to do this huge B show number like One Night Stand because of all the Internet talk, well, then not so good. Compared to company projections, then a little low."

Anyone who knows more about reading company financial documents who can chime in here? I can see where both of them are coming from: http://www.snl.com/interactive/LookAndFeel...performance.pdf

I was always under the impression that the line graph was show by show, with each point on the graph representing a show and the lines connecting them showing the rise and fall in buys from show to show. There's nothing in the document that explains the line graph vs bar graph discrepancy as Dave has outlined it, and honestly it doesn't make sense. I trust that both guys know how to read these, and I don't think Johnson has made a similar mistake in the past, so this is all confusing me.

The line graph appears to be where Johnson got the bigger number, as it shows MITB 2011 doing slightly less than NOC 2009, in the range NOC 2009 is the show that MITB 2011 was initially reported (by Dave) as tying in domestic buys at 166k, making it the biggest B show since then. With the UK out of the picture for MITB 2011, it makes sense that it would get close but not beat NOC 2009 worldwide.

What it looks like Dave is working off is the "average current period buys" bar graph, which has the 185k (132k domestic, not 134k like Dave js saying) figure.

What I can't figure out is why there's a discrepancy and why the extra WM buys would be accounted for on the line graph.

Average Current Period Buys † (per event)

†Reflects the average current quarter buys of monthly Pay‐Per‐View events.

That means it's the average of the PPV held during that quarter. Only one event was held in Q3 at the time of the report (through the end of July): MITB.

The upper left hand chart helps as well:

Total Buys (includes prior period)

"includes [events held in a] prior period"

FWIW, I do scratch my head at the Line Graph on page 4 as well. It would be interesting to try to tie that into Dave's PPV buy reporting to see if it's generally consistent with it.

One thing that really stands out when you watch late 90s Raws on WWE 24/7 is how they hyped each show one week to the next. I swear I see more promotion for the next Raw during reruns of House and Law and Order on USA weekday afternoons than on the show itself. It used to be Opening Segment to further the main storyline > midcard shit happens > angle advancement for main storyline > more midcard shit and possibly advancement for top secondary storyline> hype for next week's show > main event.

Now we have to go on WWE.com or Twitter to find out what happens next, and most of the time we don't even know full PPV cards until the day of the show.

When WWE announces the SD main event, they usually announce it during Raw not during the preceding week's show.

They just announced next week's main event on SD tonight. Sometimes they do it during a commercial after the show.

To get this back on topic, I hear they are possibly doing Cena/Punk again on Super Smackdown.