Pro Wrestling Only

CM Punk: Greatest Promo Ever

goodhelmet

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't watch the current product but this Punk/Vince dustup has drawn me back in. Last night's contract negotiation segment was pure gold until Cena interjected. Instead of letting Cena go off on a long promo like he did, they should've had him run-in, cut something short and sweet about Punk being a whiny baby, tell Vince that the WWE is better w/out Punk, tear up the contract himself, and promise he'll win on Sunday so WWE can be rid of Punk once and for all and not have to worry about him carrying out the title.

Maybe they're too worried about portraying Cena as the heel in this whole deal, but I think if Cena acted more like a tough guy instead of bad stand-up comedian, the fans would react accordingly. Right now Cena almost seems like a fifth wheel.

John Cena when he was just letting C.M. Punk talk, saying "Stop. Stop now." and hitting C.M. Punk in the face after the Yankees line is the perfect John Cena.

John Cena doing the promo about turning Vince's face into a door mat that he can wipe his poopy shoes on and let his dog pee on is exactly what is wrong with John Cena.

Even if you want kids to like him, that is bad material. Kids liked Hulk Hogan and he wasn't trying to be funny with bad toilet humor.

Watching RAW last night, it really just made me realize that no matter what WWE does, the majority of the show is not going to be for everyone. They really do have stuff all over the place, trying to appease as many different people as possible. I dislike the majority of stuff in WWE, but I can overlook it lately because C.M. Punk, Mark Henry, R-Truth and even Vince McMahon have been so good. But even with them being good, you still have Kelly Kelly and the Bella Twins, you still have Alex Riley being super pushed despite being greener than goose shit, you still have worthless Michael Cole and the terrible RAW G.M. interrupting computer and everything else. It's hard to put up with, as a fan. I know people like to look back on past eras a lot with rose-colored glasses, but I think the majority of people here remember all the bad from the Attitude Era, without just focusing on the Austin/Rock, Austin/McMahon stuff. But even then, things were different because wrestling was so much more popular, and so much less prevalent on-line than it is today, that you could put up with a Val Venis dick-chopping segment, or Beaver Cleavage or any of the other shit. Nowadays, it's just like, why is Alex Riley in his position when people like Drew McIntyre, Chris Masters and Zack Ryder aren't doing shit, despite busting their asses? And there's not any really good reasons I have read that make a lot of sense.

I will definitely be watching Money in the Bank on Sunday. I feel like the C.M. Punk stuff has been so good that I should. But I'm curious what it is all going to lead to.

I'm always amazed by WWE. You have this really great promo going between Vince and Punk, and they bring Cena out. Fine. He's Punk's opponent. He needs to be involved. Then he goes off about poopy shoes and dogs peeing. Really? That was in any way, shape, or form appropriate for the type of build you're doing for this match? They need a better editor for Cena's stuff. I don't know how things work well enough to know if that was a writer's fault or Cena's or what. Someone should've stepped in, though, and been like, "Uh, maybe we leave out the dog poop part?"

This stuff with Punk has got me intrigued. But, at the same time, I'm not getting too excited. The Nexus started out fascinating, and we saw where that went. I just have no faith in anyone in WWE to make this go to a logical and exciting conclusion.

I do have to say, though, that Cena immediately punching Punk after the Yankees comment was nice. Very appropriate response from a Bostonian.

I simply have to think that Cena doing his schtick in that segment was a way of him putting Punk over by comparison. If that's the case it's incredibly generous of Cena to almost bury himself to help elevate Punk. But, with WWE, you never know, they probably did think it would be funny; Punk and Vince played along with the "he did it" faces/pointing.

"I do have to say, though, that Cena immediately punching Punk after the Yankees comment was nice. Very appropriate response from a Bostonian."

But also typical of a Bostonian not recognizing that the Red Sox are the new Yankees, maybe even worse.

Oh, no doubt! Punk was dead-on with that observation.

The new Observer makes it sound like Colt Cabana is heading to WWE, since he hasn't signed an ROH contract and told indie promoters he's only taking dates for another month. This would seem to suggest that Punk won't be gone for too long.

I figured the interview Colt did with Alex Marvez for the Miami Herald was mostly in character, which makes this one of the most detailed and insider type of deals I can remember WWE doing. How did Punk talk Vince into all of this? It's amazing.

WWE liked Colt enough to hire him once, so it's not THAT huge a leap.

Yeah, but I'm still surprised by how much Punk has gotten away with. On Monday he mentioned WWE's falling stock price and the fact that they only get mainstream press when someone dies. How is Vince OK with that?

I think JDW owes me an apology. :P

Chris Hero is on this weeks Art of Wrestling....it is a conspiracy.

I am surprised no one has mentioned Bruce Mitchell's cryptic comments about Luke Gallows and the reason for his release.

What did Mitchell say?

Bruce guested on Wade's weekly review of Raw. Bruce kind of presented it as a blind item. Basically, he said that he understood Punk getting angry over Colt Cabana's release but that the circumstances surrounding Gallows' release were more serious than is publicly known. Then Bruce later said something Gallows behaviour didn't tie in with Punks on air and off air character. Bruce's tone of voice made whatever it is as something real bad like hard drugs or something.

So instead of what was portrayed on the Art of Wrestling podcast and elsewhere - that Luke's release was a Cabanaesque hard luck story if Bruce is right it was Serena Deeb part II or worse.

I simply have to think that Cena doing his schtick in that segment was a way of him putting Punk over by comparison. If that's the case it's incredibly generous of Cena to almost bury himself to help elevate Punk. But, with WWE, you never know, they probably did think it would be funny; Punk and Vince played along with the "he did it" faces/pointing.

Meltzer mentioned on a recent radio show that within WWE opinion on Punk's shoot promo is split between those that love it and those that hate it, so it isn't surprising that we got Cena doing his regular schtick in that segment. The people who aren't down with Punk's shoot promo are probably the same people that love scripting comedy for Cena.

Yeah, but I'm still surprised by how much Punk has gotten away with. On Monday he mentioned WWE's falling stock price and the fact that they only get mainstream press when someone dies. How is Vince OK with that?

I think JDW owes me an apology. :P

Heels lie Bix. ;)