Pro Wrestling Only

CM Punk: Greatest Promo Ever

goodhelmet

And from what I read, Linda wasn't all that socially conservative in her views.

See didn't care for DOMA or DADT, which are rare positions for a GOP nominee to take these days. She's a little wishy washy on marriage: the old man+woman saw and "states should decide", which is a little inconsistent with her DOMA position.

I suspect that if you got her off the record, not running for office, and you were a friend of hers where you would get a shoot answer, the answer would be that:

* she's pro gay rights pretty much across the board

* that "states should decide" position was just an election item

* she doesn't buy into the man+woman bullshit and it was another election item

* she'd favor gay marriage rights across the board

* she'd probably favor seeing Prop 8 overturned by SCOTUS if she saw it as the only way that nationally it would get allowed

It's likely the one place that she would not be pro gay rights is work related: harrassment lawsuits at the work place and pressure from outside forces on the WWE not to go too far. But those would be consistent with how she would view all minority rights.

John

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hasn't Punk been publically supportive of gay rights/the NY gay marriage bill recently? I don't see the big deal. It's a performance. The guy's saying it whilst dressed as Freddie Mercury, for god's sake.

Well, Lyndon Johnson was no stranger to the n-word. I don't think Punk is homophobic, though. From his apology, it sounds like he gets it.

Anyway, I think there is a fair amount of homophobia in wrestling. But it tends to be of the hyper-masculine insecure jock variety rather than the "thou shalt not lie with mankind" variety. Of course, for guys like AJ Styles, it's both.

I was messing around in Windows Movie Maker tonight with a certain something and this is the best video I've come up with so far (the others are also on YouTube, and I'd probably rate the one with Mark Henry as second best):

Punk and Cena went 26:00 on 7-5. I wonder if they were testing out the length the two of them could go together. I'm calling for a MOTYC between them at the PPV based off the house show report of how the match was - seemed like an excellent WWE main event styled match to me.

Punk and Cena went 26:00 on 7-5. I wonder if they were testing out the length the two of them could go together. I'm calling for a MOTYC between them at the PPV based off the house show report of how the match was - seemed like an excellent WWE main event styled match to me.

That length also leads me to believe the MITB winner comes into play here as well, probably Truth, if he's in the ladder match, that is.

I was a huge fan of the first Cena v Punk match on RAW this year, best Cena match in a long time, and I love this story that somehow Punk always manages to beat him

Still a little pissed they gave away their first match on a 3 hr raw for no reason a few yrs ago

Truth over Del Rio??

Del Rio has been tabbed as something of a golden boy as far as heels go. I think he will win the belt in a legitimate scheduled match. Truth on the other hand, it fits his conspiracy crazed heel gimmick to be part of a mini conspiracy to achieve what he has been gunning all summer and some for. I can see Vince working out an agreement behind the scenes after he wins the MITB in the early portion of the show, and Punk beating Cena, only for Vince to trigger the Truth contract to prevent Punk from leaving with the belt. This might turn Punk babyface going out and a "Cena overcomes the odds" storyline the WWE loves to do.

Truth over Del Rio??

Del Rio has been tabbed as something of a golden boy as far as heels go. I think he will win the belt in a legitimate scheduled match. Truth on the other hand, it fits his conspiracy crazed heel gimmick to be part of a mini conspiracy to achieve what he has been gunning all summer and some for. I can see Vince working out an agreement behind the scenes after he wins the MITB in the early portion of the show, and Punk beating Cena, only for Vince to trigger the Truth contract to prevent Punk from leaving with the belt. This might turn Punk babyface going out and a "Cena overcomes the odds" storyline the WWE loves to do.

I think the opposite is true. MITB seems to be the WWE's preferred method of elevating heels to the big time over the past few years, starting with Edge. Plus, Summerslam is coming up, and ADR-Cena is a much bigger money matchup than Truth-Cena. And I just don't see the WWE putting the belt on a guy who can't legally enter Canada.

Vince getting Punk to momentarily break with a Sky Low Low reference might have been the highlight of the closing promo. I didn't know Vince still had that in him

and Vince/Punk have scary chemistry together. Like mind blowing stuff. They need to work a program between them someday. Holy shit was that awesome

Cena suddenly doing a Mark Wahlberg impression with his "accent" was classic

Glad I wasn't the only one who noticed that. If I didn't know better I'd think WWE was trying to imply Punk was getting to Cena and in the process made Cena "break character" if you will and let his accent slip back in (since they made a big deal of mentioning Cena was from Boston and in WWE Land everyone speaks in the broad brush accent of their hometown). Instead it came across as Andy Samberg's Wahlberg impression. I was waiting for Cena to tell Punk to say hi to his mother for him.