Pro Wrestling Only

CM Punk: Greatest Promo Ever

goodhelmet

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the opinion of the 2.9 rating from the go home show. Was the promo a little to inside for the casual audience to pick up on. I would love for Punk to be pushed as one of the big guys. This rating was not good though I hope we see a good buy rate for this show. I want to take the title away from the company is still a pretty strong angle or has all the stips not being honored in recent years killed this angle?

I think using the numbers as proof of anything after such a short amount of time -- good or bad -- is a mistake. The WWF got hot months before the ratings caught up to it in the late 90s. I'm not saying this is that. I'm just saying that some of the conclusions that the angle is a failure because there was no immediate ratings spike is awfully short-sighted. Angles haven't driven business in WWE in nearly a decade. Names -- and not even names involved in anything particularly compelling -- do. Reading too much into the short-term is why WWE has the systemic issues that prevent them from getting over new stars.

Oh. I don't think it's bad. I think the program has an opportunity to do something fun and refreshing. I was obviously referring to whomever the negative nancies are and the likelihood that they will interpret the poor TV rating as because of CM Punk. Vince or whoever actually makes decisions backstage nowadays, they always fucking panic when something doesn't get red hot in the ratings immediately. They handle debuts too, but at least debuts make more sense because of all the first impression cliches.

PPV buys > TV ratings

Yes. This angle ESPECIALLY is designed for "watch the PPV for the payoff", unlike generic feuds where odds are the PPV match won't be conclusive/climactic. And it especially appeals to the hardcore PPV buyers.

edit: Based on the song of the week, the phrase "What's up my Nikita?" sprang to mind.

edit2: Okay that NOAH story at the end.... wow

PPV buys is where the money is. Punk leaving and then drawing a big buy rate would you would think would put him in a really strong place when he came back. That is if he does leave for a while. Either way Punk should come back smelling like a rose. He draws a big buy rate he comes back a hero. If he doesn't draw a big buy rate he can still come back from a hiatus ala Jericho where his presence is missed on the show and should get a good push.Now if he does draw a big rate he should come back sooner than later so people in power don't forget or get killed backstage while he's not there.

If you look at the numbers breakdown, the Punk-Cena stuff at the beginning pulled a 3.1. Every segment on the show except one dropped numbers until the contract signing. Then the contract signing pulled a 3.5. It wasn't the Punk angle that killed ratings, it was everyone else.

The 7/11/11 Raw show was a train wreck. The missed cue's (Mark Henry almost killed Drew with his late run-in), audio errors (get off the mic Alberto), Cole not getting the Truth segment, and finally Vince trying to save the crowd by coming out FOUR times. I am not surprised by the rating, it felt like a 3 hour Raw with all the talking and bullshit.

Punk ruled, Raw sucked.

I'm not surprised that the overall numbers are down, because there is seriously nothing good on RAW right now except Punk.

I really don't like the way they structured the roster w/ the draft. Rey belongs on SD, Miz has been depushed and would have been way better off going to SD, Del Rio is in a holding pattern, R-Truth gets hot with the new character and they still have Cena dispatch of him with ease, they've repeated a beyond tired Kofi-Dolph program, Zack Ryder a fresh face who's over with the tastemaking fans can barely even get on the show, the GM angle is so beyond played out, Nexus has become a complete joke.......and worst of all it feels like every week you're watching the same show

Re: Cabana coming in, Alvarez sort of implied that a little while back as something of a dealbreaker for Punk. If Punk seriously comes back with Cabana, Hero and Claudio in tow it's going to be so surreal

This is an awesome interview with CM Punk about recent events from GQ Magazine's website of all places. The only other time I remember them even mentioning pro wrestling is a story a few years back about Matt Striker ditching his teaching job for the WWE, and that may have actually been in Esquire.

http://www.gq.com/sports/profiles/201107/c...tling-interview

It's amazing the sort of "mainstream" penetration CM Punk's story has received the past few weeks. I can't remember the last time something in pro wrestling not death-related or not involving a "mainstream" celebrity received coverage in big time newspapers and magazines.

The Pay-Per-View tonight has me really excited. More so than even Wrestlemania, and I am a big Triple H mark. I think a lot of people are anticipating the show this evening. There seems to be a "buzz" that I have not heard in years surrounding this show, all because of C.M. Punk. I think something big is going to happen tonight. Wrestling has been pretty boring and stagnant lately. People are looking for wrestling elsewhere, and a lot of people just go to old footage because the majority of current stuff, even in Japan and Mexico, is pretty sloppy right now. But the PPV tonight has people, myself included, genuinely excited.

I actually want to give WWE money for this PPV because of how well the C.M. Punk parts of the build have been. I think Mark Henry has been great lately too. Plus, there's the ladder activities. It really should be a great show and it would take a miracle to mess it up.