CM Punk: Greatest Promo Ever

goodhelmet

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Draw your own conclusions boys:

WWE TO MARKET CM PUNK

On June 22nd, WWE registered to trademark CM Punk for merchandise use. They trademarked his name back in 2009 for wrestling use, so it will be interesting to see if they allow him to use the name post-WWE. But then they also trademarked Tommy Dreamer and he's been using it everywhere after he left.

Credit: PWInsider

WWE hase filed trademarks on real names and gimmick names owned by the wrestlers for years. It's a borrowed with permission thing that's done for merchandise licensing purchases. I don't think they've tried disputing anyone's use of a pre-WWFE, not created in ECW or WCW name since Honky Tonk Man left. At least that I know of.

I suspect that all it is is that the old trademark ran out and they had to renew it.

Having said that, I remember a story about Mick Foley being very uncomfortable with the idea of "giving" the Cactus Jack trademark to the WWF that implied he eventually signed over all rights to it but that doesn't mesh with other stories.

I personally don't think it is, but I think it's a waste of time to debate the merits. GLAAD targets sponsors of companies who are associated with stuff like this. WWE and Punk are smart to get in front of this. Punk's apology seemed genuine, and I think it's a smaller issue than the Cena comments, because Cena has moral authority in WWE while Punk has the total opposite of that. Punk's apology seemed genuine, while Cena's showed that he still doesn't get it.

James Caldwell watched this angle and somehow saw the end of WWE coming. http://pwtorch.com/artman2/publish/caldwel...cle_51227.shtml

"-- McMahon has to prove to himself (because no one else cares) that he was the driving force behind Hogan, Austin, Rock, and Michaels, who have all been referenced the last two weeks on Raw. As a result, McMahon is trying to re-create another McMahon vs. Austin feud in the form of McMahon vs. Cena. It's not going to work, but, as McMahon said on Bloomberg last week, he will "die in his chair" trying. And he'll take the business with him. "

Remember when the Torch had Mitchell and jdw and Zavisa and even Madden? Why does no one good write about wrestling anymore?

What pisses me off the most with that is that Caldwell doesn't think it should be Vince McMahon vs. CM Punk instead of Vince McMahon vs. John Cena. Punk is fucking closer to Austin in nearly every sense fashionable and Punk doesn't drink beer.

At any rate, I think James' last sentence was an out of context paraphrasing of something McMahon has likely said before.

Are they really that homophobic? Maybe it's true for some of the talent (Cena definitely, and a few others who have foot-in-mouth disease) and other backstage guys, but I can't see how Vince is since Patterson has been one of his closest friends for so many years. And from what I read, Linda wasn't all that socially conservative in her views.

Are they really that homophobic? Maybe it's true for some of the talent (Cena definitely, and a few others who have foot-in-mouth disease) and other backstage guys, but I can't see how Vince is since Patterson has been one of his closest friends for so many years. And from what I read, Linda wasn't all that socially conservative in her views.

Patterson was Patterson.

But WWE has been as homophobic as any other wrestling promotion ever.