Pro Wrestling Only

2011 Observer Hall of Fame thread

Bix

Not sure on Wade but they seem to have had a good relationship at the time the HoF started even if they don't now.

One would hope SOMEONE with some clout with Dave would go to bat for Blackwell. I have no fucking clout with Dave but thought the case was worth exploring. At minimum Blackwell is someone who should be on the ballot and discussed seriously. I think the High Flyers are a lost cause, though I may pull some numbers over for them later this week and I suspect a lot of folks will be shocked at how important they were to the AWA for almost ten years.

Buddy Rose would be my other pet cause, but I'm not sure I can find Portland figures, nor do I think Dave would give a shit since he lives in a World where we are supposed to ignore the business models of various territories and/or analyze them senselessly. Rose is also hindered by the fact that the discovery of his footage is recent and Dave apparently despises going back and watching old footage. So even though Dave and smarks were high on Rose at the time and the consensus for years was that he was a great worker who's prime we would unfortunately never see so his real status will never be known, there will be no attempt to contextualize Rose as a worker now because it's "unfair" to judge things outside of the era when they occurred or some such shit.

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One would hope SOMEONE with some clout with Dave would go to bat for Blackwell. I have no fucking clout with Dave but thought the case was worth exploring. At minimum Blackwell is someone who should be on the ballot and discussed seriously. I think the High Flyers are a lost cause, though I may pull some numbers over for them later this week and I suspect a lot of folks will be shocked at how important they were to the AWA for almost ten years.

Dave spoke of the AWA so condescendingly in his early newsletters that it would take someone pretty close to him to convince him of Blackwell's legitimacy as a candidate. He would need to see and study Blackwell from 80 - 84 to get it, if he had any inclination to "get it" in this case.

Same reason the High Flyers would never seriously get consideration, unfortunately.

This is interesting, and I think it's worth starting the conversation somewhere where Dave can see it and may respond for sure.

The reason I think this is a compelling case is because you're basing candidacy on ring work and attendance figures, not just one or the other. Usually, when someone like Dundee or whoever gets advocated, I can't get on board because there's something consistent about everyone who has been inducted based on ring work. They all have reps. A guy who is among the best ever in the ring who doesn't have the rep for being among the best ever in the ring isn't a HOF candidate. It's perception over reality when it comes to the HOF, which sounds like a backhanded compliment, but is really (mostly) not.

I actually think Buddy Rose has "the rep" from the perspective that he was widely regarded as a "Holy Grail" type. I.E. "damn I wish we had more footage, because what we have is great." Really think what kills him is that Dave is a fierce opponent of going back and exploring old footage "out of context" - even if it is in context with everything else from that era. This is also something that hurts the World of Sport guys. They have reps, even among voters and people who have been in the "smart fan" universe for years. The problem is that they aren't going to be watched, pimped, or promoted by the guy running the show.

There's an interesting question in itself: Does Wade Keller get a HOF ballot?

Not sure that he still has one.

I do remember him talking about having one and kind of apologising on an audio when the subject came up stating not having time to devote to it during the time of his son's birth two or three years ago.

Probably ask him on Twitter now what he thinks.

I don't think Dave would be against putting Rose on the ballot. Indeed, I thought Dave's obituary in 2009 built a strong case that he was maybe an overlooked candidate for the HOF and put him over strong as a worker, so I'm surprised that he wasn't put on the ballot after his death.

The problem with the High Flyers, Blackwell and even Rose as HOF candidates is that a lot of the voters put great stock in getting over as headliners in multiple territories, especially places like New York and St. Louis. They'd be very hard to get elected given the electorate's current mentality.

The problem with the High Flyers, Blackwell and even Rose as HOF candidates is that a lot of the voters put great stock in getting over as headliners in multiple territories, especially places like New York and St. Louis. They'd be very hard to get elected given the electorate's current mentality.

True, but one could (and should) argue that teams or singles that maintained a strong, steady drawing power in one area for years, in an era where the majority or wrestlers travelled to different territories to stay fresh, are perhaps more impressive in their drawing power, in the sense that they keep drawing in the same core audience time after time.

You absolutely do not want to sit out on the AWA Set. In many respects it is the most "wide open" set because the company had such a huge variety of guys come through during the 80s and while there are a few usual suspects as far as top contenders go (Bock v. Hennig, if you have been around long enough Rose/Somers v. Midnight Rockers), the possibilities for number one are not as locked in as they are with the other sets. In other words I think there is less bias coming in and more opportunity to discover things that have been almost totally forgotten. Blackwell is great and will be one of the stars of the set.

To Keith's point about the "national star" talking point, I think that is precisely why Meltzer has not placed Rose on the ballot. McAdam made the same criticism of Rose recently in a thread at Classics where he insisted Adonis was a better worker than Rose largely because Adonis "made it" nationally and Rose didn't. Of course Rose/Somers was maybe the last consistently compelling heel act in the AWA, Rose got over very well in San Fran, he was a Backlund challenger in NYC and Philly and he largely didn't "make it" nationally because he could make huge money, working a close to home schedule, for the most honest promoter in the United States. But as I noted before Meltzer is not a huge fan of looking at those sort of contextual realities. Instead he wants to harp on about how Edge was the lead heel of "two different territories" at once, or how HHH was on a bunch of huge money making shows so is a much better candidate than guys who merely anchored successful territories for years by themselves (Colon, Rose).

It may be worth noting that Blackwell worked on top in Memphis v. Lawler and was over. Also worth noting perhaps that Blackwell was at least a star of some magnitude in St. Louis if everything I've heard is true. I tend to think those things are barely relevant to his candidacy, and I'm not certain he is an HoFer, but it is really absurd that he's not on the ballot.

High Flyers were never going to be national stars. Not because they weren't good enough, but because they were hugely important to the AWA and Greg was never going anywhere else for reasons that are obvious. Should I even bother with a High Flyers attendance breakdown?

K, so something i've been thinking about lately.

Someone mentioned pages & pages ago in this thread about Chris Daniels being a draw on the indies. A number of people have paid specifically to go see him wrestle so technically that's true but if that amount is only in the hundreds or even 1000 range it's hardly THAT impressive.

I know there's no magic # but in general, how large does a crowd have to be for it to be impressive enough that you can claim it on your resume as one of the factors in your HoF candidacy? More then a couple thousand? 5000+??? 5 digit range?

And once that person does reach that #, how many times does he have to hit it?

Would someone who consistently drew crowds of a few thousand but rarely anything mega huge be a better candidate then someone who has a few giant gates a year and then low level stuff the rest of the time?

K, so something i've been thinking about lately.

Someone mentioned pages & pages ago in this thread about Chris Daniels being a draw on the indies. A number of people have paid specifically to go see him wrestle so technically that's true but if that amount is only in the hundreds or even 1000 range it's hardly THAT impressive.

I know there's no magic # but in general, how large does a crowd have to be for it to be impressive enough that you can claim it on your resume as one of the factors in your HoF candidacy? More then a couple thousand? 5000+??? 5 digit range?

And once that person does reach that #, how many times does he have to hit it?

Would someone who consistently drew crowds of a few thousand but rarely anything mega huge be a better candidate then someone who has a few giant gates a year and then low level stuff the rest of the time?

My problem with Daniels isn't that he only drew 1000 people here or there it's that A. I don't think he was ever a draw in any meaningful sense and B. Even if he was in a more abstract sense he was never an anchor of a promotion that was financially successful.

To me the size of the crowds matters to the extent that someone who is the anchor of an indy in East TN that regularly draws 400 people doesn't belong in a Hall of Fame. But if you are the anchor of a promotion that runs a loop, is clearly financially successful, are regarded by most as the biggest draw in the history of that territory, et I see no reason why you shouldn't be strongly considered and I would definitely value the candidacy of a person like that over the candidacy of someone who just happened to get pushed for a couple of years after there was only one megashow left in town.

Decided to do 85 for Blackwell because why the fuck not? It's fun and it gives us an interesting look in general since the promotion was on the decline, but had some ups and downs of note:

1/8/85 Salt Lake City, UT @ Salt Palace

Jim Garvin beat AWA Champion Rick Martel dq

Curt Hennig & Larry Hennig beat King Kong Brody & Sheik Adnan

Fabulous Ones & Baron Von Raschke beat Road Warriors & Paul Ellering

Nick Bockwinkel beat Curt Hennig

Brad Rheingans beat Sheik Adnan COR

Att 8987

1/10/85 Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada @ Arena

TV Taping

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell & Jerry Blackwell beat Road Warriors & Paul Ellering

Sgt. Slaughter beat Mr. Saito dq

Jimmy Garvin beat John Nord dq

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Brian Jewel & Rob Rechsteiner

Att: 5,628

That's a very good figure for a Blackwelless SLC, but look at the show - it's fucking loaded. Hard to imagine a more loaded show for 85 AWA than that as you have Bock, Brody, Hennigs (with Curt doing double duty), a World Title match and Roadies v. Fabs. hard to say if the fact that it was a TV Taping helped Winnipeg or not, but that feels like a hot main event and the fact is it's up over 2,000 from the previous Winnipeg show where Blackwell was third from the top against aged Billy Robinson.

1/12/85 Milwaukee, WI

Fabulous Ones & The Crusher beat Road Warriors & Paul Ellering

Lights Out Match

King Kong Brody beat Jerry Blackwell

Jimmy Garvin beat Jim Brunzell via pin

Nick Bockwinkel drew Curt Hennig

Masked Superstar beat Tom Stone via pin

Brad Rheingans beat Jake Milliman (sub Mr. Saito)

Att: 5,741

Note: Milwaukee Sentinel says Blackwell beat Brody

That's less than 500 away from a sellout in Milwaukee, with what looks like a very hot double main event and not much else of note on the show (Bock v. Curt didn't "heat up" til later and I'm not sure it ever did impressive business).

1/13/85 St Paul, MN @ Civic Center evening

No dq match, Sheik Adnan handcuffed to Sgt. Slaughter

Jerry Blackwell beat King Kong Brody COR

The Crusher & Fabulous Ones beat the Road Warriors & Paul Ellering

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Masked Superstar & Sheik Adnan

Nick Bockwinkel & Mr Saito beat Larry Hennig & Curt Hennig dq

Baron Von Raschke drew Billy Robinson

John Nord beat Jimmy Doo

Brad Rheingans beat Steve Regal

att: 11,000

This is a strong number, though the show is really loaded. You could argue it could have done better, but it seems wrong to pan a 10k plus show in the AWA. Hard to pinpoint what was moving business, but it is worth noting that Brody v. Blackwell is the hottest feud in the territory by a safe margin if you are going by the tv.

1/17/85 Las Vegas, NV @ Showboat Sports Pavilion

Lights Out match

Jerry Blackwell beat Masked Superstar (sub King Kong Brody)

Jimmy Garvin beat AWA Champion Rick Martel dq

Non title

Larry Hennig & Curt Hennig (subs for Fabulous Ones) beat AWA Tag Team Champions Road Warriors

Nick Bockwinkel beat Brad Rheingans

Jim Brunzell beat Steve Regal

att: 3,000

This is a very good number for Showboat I would imagine.

1/30/85 San Francisco, CA @ Cow Palace

No dq match

Larry Hennig & Curt Hennig (Subs for Fabulous Ones) & Baron Von Raschke beat Road Warriors & Paul Ellering

Sgt. Slaughter beat Nick Bockwinkel

Pat Barrett drew Guy Lambert

Att 4900

Very good number for the Palace, bordering on great when you see how shitty that town had been drawing in prior years. Also interesting that Superstar v. Blackwell went on last and the title match was in the mid-card. I would venture to guess this had to do with what matches were garnering the most heat as Blackwell v. Brody was the hot feud. Also worth noting that Superstar was plugged in fairly effectively as a replacement for Brody from a storyline perspective which I think speaks well of Eadie, Adnan (who was hated) and Blackwell.

2/3/85 Rosemont, IL @ Rosemont Horizon

Jerry Blackwell no contest Masked Superstar

AWA Tag Team Champions Road Warriors beat Sgt. Slaughter & Nick Bockwinkel dq

Jim Garvin beat Baron Von Raschke

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat King Tonga & Sheik Adnan

Larry Hennig beat John Nord

Curt Hennig beat Drew Tossell

Tom Zenk drew Steve Regal

Would love a number for this. I doubt the crowd knew this would be Superstar and figured it would be Brody and yet Verne STILL put this on last. Again that speaks well of Blackwell as the top face at this point.

2/7/85 Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada @ Arena

Blackjack Lanza (sub Jerry Blackwell) & Sgt. Slaughter beat Masked Superstar & King Tonga (sub King Kong Brody) dq

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat AWA Tag Team Champions Road Warriors dq

Tom Zenk drew Steve Regal

Buddy Lane beat Rick Renslow

John Nord beat Drew Tossell

att: 4,108

Blackwell misses the show, presumably as a no-show of some kind, i.e. last second switch out. This is an ok number for Winnipeg, but I'm curious if they offer refunds as two subs in the main event could have caused some people to say "fuck this."

2/20/85 San Francisco, CA @ Cow Palace

King Tonga & Masked Superstar beat Sgt. Slaughter & Jerry Blackwell

AWA Champion Rick Martel beat Jim Garvin

Larry Hennig & Curt Hennig drew Nick Bockwinkel & Mr. Saito

Steve Regal beat Tom Zenk

John Nord beat Sheik Adnan COR

Samoan Samula beat Guy Lambert dq

att: 1,981

2/21/85 Salt Lake City, UT @ Salt Palace

Lights Out Match

Jerry Blackwell beat Masked Superstar

Nick Bockwinkel & Mr. Saito beat Larry Hennig & Curt Hennig

King Tonga beat Tom Zenk

John Nord beat Steve Regal

Att: 7754.

2/22/85 St. Paul, MN @ Civic Center

Sgt. Slaughter & Jerry Blackwell beat AWA Tag Team Champions Road Warriors dq

AWA Champion Rick Martel dcor Bob Backlund

Greg Gagne beat Nick Bockwinkel

Mr. Saito & Masked Superstar & King Tonga beat Steve O & Larry Hennig & Curt Hennig

Buck Zumhofe beat Steve Regal

John Nord drew Tom Zenk

Att 10,000+

What's funny is that 2k is actually not awful for the Cow Palace, though it's less than half of the last show. Looking at the card that's no surprise. SLC is still holding really strong. St. Paul turns in another good number. Blackwell is notably placed in the last match of all of these cards. Pretty clear Verne sees him as his money making babyface and there is no reason to think he was wrong.

3/4/85 Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada @ PNE Coliseum

AWA Champion Rick Martel beat Jim Brunzell

AWA Tag Team Champions Road Warriors beat Mr. Saito & Moose Morowski

Lights Out match

Jim Brunzell beat Sheik Adnan

Buck Zumhofe beat Moondog Moretti

Steve Austin beat John Baker

Att: 1,500

At this point you see Verne starting to move into a couple of oddball spots out West. I have no clue why they were trying to run Vancouver now, unless Verne was just pissed at Tomko for some reason. No clue if this is a good figure for the town or not. Not surprising that they would run title matches on top in a "new" town.

3/7/85 Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada @ Arena

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Nick Bockwinkel & Mr. Saito

King Tonga beat Sgt. Slaughter dq

Jerry Blackwell drew Sheik Adnan

Billy Robinson beat Buddy Lane

att: 5,208

Winnipeg still holding pretty solid. Interesting card and if it is the show I'm thinking you clearly have to credit Blackwell for a lot of this. The result doesn't say it, but this was a match where If Blackwell beat Eadie he got five minutes with Adnan. Crowd was molten for it, it's a great match(es?), and it definitely felt like the biggest thing on the show.

3/8/85 St Louis, MO

AWA Champion Rick Martel beat Nick Bockwinkel

Missouri State Champion Jerry Blackwell beat Bulldog Bob Brown

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Masked Superstar & Mr Saito

Sgt Slaughter dcor Wahoo McDaniel

Mike Von Erich beat Jimmy Garvin

American Starship beat Marty Jannetty & Steve Olsonoski

Dick the Bruiser beat Mr Pogo dq

Rufus R Jones beat Ken Timbs

att: 2,610

Wow. No clue what to think of this. This is probably a Central States promoted show...or is it? Hard to tell. Feels like a shitty figure, but why the fuck was Verne running that town assuming this wasn't Geigel and friends?

3/9/85 Rosemont, IL @ Rosemont Horizon

Special Referee: Verne Gagne

Sgt. Slaughter & Jerry Blackwell beat King Tonga & Masked Superstar & Sheik Adnan dq

Curt Hennig beat Billy Robinson

Candi Devine beat Diane Von Hoffman

John Nord drew Tom Zenk

Would like a figure here. Also worth noting that the High Flyers have re-emerged on the last several shows.

3/10/85 Green Bay, WI @ Brown County Veteran’s Memorial Arena

Strap Match

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Nick Bockwinkel & Mr. Saito when Brunzell pinned Bockwinkel

Candi Devine beat Diane Von Hoffman via pin

Non Title

Buck Zumhofe beat AWA Light Heavyweight Champion Steve Regal via pin

Wonder how this did. GB was an interesting town to monitor as it only seemed to draw huge for molten programs. This is followed up by a bizarre run of shows in modest sized upstate NJ towns. No fucking clue what the point of that was. No figures on them, but Jerry isn't on the shows anyhow.

3/16/85 Oakland, CA

If Blackwell wins, Jerry gets 5 minutes with Sheik Adnan

Jerry Blackwell beat King Tonga dq when Adnan & Masked Superstar interfered

AWA Champion Rick Martel beat Nick Bockwinkel (sub Jim Garvin)

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Nick Bockwinkel & Masked Superstar

Jerry Monti beat Don Stevenson

att: 3,400

In a fit of insanity Verne is running split crews, with Slaughter headlining in NJ and Blackwell headlining here. Notable non-Cow Palace show in the Bay Area. Probably a wise move as this does a good figure for that general area by AWA standards of the time and it was probably cheaper to run this venue.

3/19/85 Salt Lake City, UT @ Salt Palace

Jerry Blackwell & Sgt. Slaughter beat Masked Superstar & King Tonga dq

Nick Bockwinkel beat Greg Gagne dq

Misty Blue beat Linda Dallas

Att 4502

Verne the lunatic runs a split show again, this time with Baron/Backlund headlining against Nagasaki/Saito in NY. As a result both shows are weak and SLC shits the bed for the first time since Blackwell was MIA in 84. Not really an awful number for the town, but clearly a bad sign.

3/23/85 New Haven, CT @ Veteran's Memorial Coliseum

Tonga Kid won a $50,000.00 battle royal

Sgt. Slaughter beat Kamala dq

Tonga Kid beat Larry Zbyszko dq

Bob Backlund beat Kendo Nagasaki

Mark Youngblood & Jay Youngblood drew The Samoans

Att: 7000

3/23/85 Middleton, WI

The Crusher & Larry Hennig & Jerry Blackwell beat Masked Superstar & Mr. Saito & King Tonga dq

Mr. Saito beat Curt Hennig

Tom Zenk beat Rick Stoansky

The split shows continue. That's a good number for New Haven, but again you have to wonder why on Earth they are trying to run that area. No number on the Middleton show which looks to be a small town spot show. With that lineup I'd be shocked if it wasn't a sell out.

3/24/85 Denver, CO @ Auditorium Arena afternoon

Larry Hennig & Curt Hennig beat AWA Tag Team Champions Road Warriors dq

Jerry Blackwell & Sgt. Slaughter drew Mr. Saito & King Tonga & Masked Superstar

Baron Von Raschke beat Jim Garvin

Att 4719.

3/24/85 St Paul, MN @ Civic Center

Handicap Match

Jerry Blackwell & Sgt Slaughter no contest King Tonga & Masked Superstar & Mr Saito

Nick Bockwinkel beat Greg Gagne

Larry Hennig & Curt Hennig & The Crusher beat Paul Ellering & the Road Warriors

Jim Brunzell drew Billy Robinson

Steve Regal beat Buck Zumhofe

Tom Zenk beat Rick Stoansky

att: 5,500

We don't have a previous number of note in Denver so I have no clue if that is a good figure or not. This is a shit number for the Civic Center on a show that should have done well.

3/28/85 Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada @ Arena

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat AWA Tag Team Champions Road Warriors dq

Jim Garvin beat Baron Von Raschke dq

Larry Hennig (sub The Crusher) beat King Tonga

Mr. Saito beat Curt Hennig

Tom Zenk beat Brian Jewell

Winnipeg is still alive and kicking, Jerry or not.

3/31/85 Rosemont, IL @ Rosemont Horizon

AWA Tag Team Champions Road Warriors beat Larry Hennig & Curt Hennig

The Crusher no contest King Tonga

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Kendo Nagasaki & Mr. Saito

Bob Backlund beat Larry Zbyszko dq

AWA Light Heavyweight Champion Steve Regal beat Buck Zumhofe

Billy Robinson beat Tom Zenk

Att: 9,600

4/5/85 Salt Lake City, UT @ Salt Palace

Jerry Blackwell beat Mr. Saito

Butch Reed beat Tom Zenk

Att 2054

Finally a Rosemont number and it's a pretty good one for a hot double main event. No Blackwell on the show. Blackwell in the mid-card in SLC which continues to sink. They seem to be trying to ween off of Blackwell v. Adnan and friends on top.

4/10/85 Las Vegas, NV @ Showboat Sports Pavilion

Handicap match

Sgt. Slaughter & Jerry Blackwell beat Sheik Adnan & King Tonga & Masked Superstar

Mr. Saito beat Jim Brunzell

4/11/85 Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada @ PNE Coliseum

Jerry Blackwell beat King Tonga dq

Masked Superstar beat Moose Morowski

Butch Reed beat Ricky Lee Jones

Att 1,000

I think this sort of illustrates the idiocy of Verne. This is a thousand mile turnaround, plus dealing with customs, for a new town, with a limited payoff. At this point shit like this is hurting the promotion as much as anything.

4/15/85 Salt Lake City, UT @ Salt Palace

Jerry Blackwell beat Mr. Saito

Butch Reed beat Tom Zenk

att: 2,054

SLC is effectively dead at this point. I'd be interested to see the figures for the GB Cage Match and Milwaukee match with Slaughter/Blackwell v. Roadies from Milwaukee that proceeded this match.

4/18/85 Washington DC

AWA Champion Rick Martel beat Bob Backlund COR

AWA Tag Team Champions Road Warriors beat Ivan Koloff & Nikita Koloff dq

Tonga Kid beat Larry Zbyszko dq

The Samoans beat Superstar & King Tonga

Handicap match

Kamala beat Tom Zenk & Steve O

Larry Sharpe beat Sean O'Reilly

4/19/85 East Rutherford, NJ @ Meadowlands

AWA Champion Rick Martel beat King Tonga

Bob Backlund beat Larry Zbyszko

Ugandan Death Match

Kamala beat Sgt. Slaughter

Fabulous Freebirds Michael Hayes & Terry Gordy & Buddy Roberts drew Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell & Tonga Kid

Jim Duggan beat Kendo Nagasaki

The Samoans beat Tom Zenk & Steve O

Bobby Duncum beat Larry Sharpe

Att 10,000

East Coast swing. 10k is a good number for a Meadowlands show with essentially foreign talent. Blackwell stayed away from the East Coast swings as a rule.

4/21/85 St. Paul, MN @ Civic Center

Cage match

Sgt. Slaughter & Jerry Blackwell beat Sheik Adnan & King Tonga & Masked Superstar

AWA Tag Team Champions Road Warriors beat Larry Hennig & Curt Hennig dq

Verne Gagne & Greg Gagne beat Nick Bockwinkel & Mr. Saito

Bob Backlund & Brad Rheingans beat Larry Zbyszko & Butch Reed

Baron Von Raschke & Buck Zumhofe beat Jim Garvin & Steve Regal

Jim Brunzell & Tonga Kid beat Billy Robinson & Bobby Duncum

Steve Olsonoski & Tom Zenk beat The Alaskans

att: 12,000

This is a really good St. Paul number at this point. Verne helped. Roadies helped. The fans were probably ready for the ultimate Blackwell blowoff against Adnan and this was it. Also a really great match.

4/23/85 Mound, MN

Jerry Blackwell & Greg Gagne beat Sheik Adnan & Nick Bockwinkel

Butch Reed beat Steve O

Jim Brunzell beat Alaskan II

Rick Stotsky drew Alaskan I

Att 1800

Rare spot show number. Almost definitely a sellout or close to it. It's clear this is a one match show.

4/24/85 Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada @ Arena

Cage match

AWA Champion Rick Martel beat Mr. Saito

Jimmy Garvin beat Baron Von Raschke

Sgt. Slaughter beat Sheik Adnan dq

Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens beat Larry Hennig & Curt Hennig

Butch Reed beat Brian Jewel

Fabulous Freebirds Michael Hayes & Buddy Roberts beat Tom Zenk & Rick Stonsky

att: 6,636

Really good number for Winnipeg which remains a solid town, probably the most reliable in the territory. That main event would prove to be effective elsewhere.

4/25/85 Gayville, NY

Larry Zbyszko beat Bob Backlund COR

Samula & Tonga Kid beat Billy Robinson & Bobby Duncum

Tonga Kid beat Kendo Nagasaki

Larry Sharpe beat Jim ?

Att: 800

4/25/85 Brandon, Manitoba, Canada @ Keystone Centre

Baron Von Raschke & Jerry Blackwell beat Sheik Adnan & Mr. Saito

Nick Bockwinkel beat Larry Hennig

Ray Stevens beat Ron Ritchie

Tom Zenk & Curt Hennig beat The Alaskans

Butch Reed beat Rick Stoansky

Another idiotic split show day, this time in two smaller towns. I wonder how that main event did in Brandon.

4/27/85 Madison, WI

Jerry Blackwell & Larry Hennig no contest AWA Tag Team Champions Road Warriors

The Crusher & Brad Rheingans beat Masked Superstar & Sheik Adnan

Nick Bockwinkel & Mr. Saito beat Jim Brunzell & Curt Hennig

4/28/85 Rosemont, IL @ Rosemont Horizon

Cage match

Sgt. Slaughter & Jerry Blackwell & Verne Gagne beat Masked Superstar & King Tonga & Sheik Adnan

Larry Hennig & Curt Hennig drew AWA Tag Team Champions Road Warriors

Fabulous Freebirds Michael Hayes & Terry Gordy & Buddy Roberts beat Jim Brunzell & Greg Gagne & Tonga Kid

Dick The Bruiser & The Crusher beat Butch Reed & Larry Zbyszko

Nick Bockwinkel & Mr. Saito beat Brad Rheingans & Tom Zenk

5/3/85 Denver, CO

Cage Match

Jerry Blackwell & The Crusher & Sgt. Slaughter beat Masked Superstar & King Tonga & Sheik Adnan

Greg Gagne drew Nick Bockwinkel

Fabulous Freebirds beat Jim Brunzell & Steve O

Butch Reed beat Tom Zenk

How often did they run Madison? Interesting that they are running a variation of the successful St. Paul Cage Match around the horn (including a spot show at a high school I didn't list). I'm guessing that Rosemont show did a really good number.

5/5/85 Milwaukee, WI @ Auditorium

AWA Tag Team Champions Road Warriors drew Jerry Blackwell & Sgt. Slaughter

AWA Champion Rick Martel beat Nick Bockwinkel via pin

Butch Reed beat Jim Brunzell via pin

King Tonga drew Brad Rheingans

Att: 3,203

5/8/85 San Francisco, CA @ Cow Palace

Cage Match

Sgt. Slaughter & Larry Hennig & Curt Hennig beat Road Warriors & Paul Ellering

Cage Match

Jerry Blackwell beat Sheik Adnan

Brad Rheingans beat Butch Reed dq

Samula beat Drew Tossell

att: 5,000

Weak number for Milwaukee, though not total trash. Really fucking good number for the Cow Palace for a double cage main event.

5/10/85 Salt Lake City, UT @ Salt Palace

Sgt. Slaughter & Larry Hennig & Curt Hennig beat Road Warriors & Paul Ellering

Cage match

Jerry Blackwell beat Sheik Adnan

Butch Reed beat Buck Zumhofe

att: 10,455

This double cage main event continues to do good business. This is a MASSIVE number for a town that been dead to the World.

5/23/85 Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada @ Arena

AWA Champion Rick Martel beat Larry Zbyszko

Fabulous Freebirds Michael Hayes & Buddy Roberts beat Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell

Butch Reed beat Baron Von Raschke COR

The Crusher beat Rick Renslow

Larry Zbyszko beat Ron Ritchie

att: 1,900

Winnipeg finally croaks. Show doesn't look awful, but isn't the strongest. Notable that Roadies, Blackwell and Sarge are all absent.

5/25/85 Chicago

Jerry Blackwell & Sgt. Slaughter beat Road Warrior Animal & Paul Ellering (sub RW Hawk)

AWA Champion Rick Martel beat Buddy Roberts (sub King Tonga)

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Fabulous Freebirds Michael Hayes & Buddy Roberts dq

Butch Reed no contest The Crusher

Larry Zbyszko (sub Jim Garvin) beat Baron Von Raschke

Ray Stevens beat Buck Zumhofe

Steve Regal drew Steve O

Note: Terry Gordy also no showed.

Weak number. Probably did not help that they were coming off a massive show from before, but this is still bad.

Blackwell and Roadies goes into hibernation.

6/7/85 Salt Lake City, UT @ Salt Palace

AWA Champion Rick Martel beat Billy Robinson

Sgt. Slaughter beat Larry Zbyszko dq

No dq match

Butch Reed beat Baron Von Raschke

Fabulous Freebirds Michael Hayes & Buddy Roberts beat Brad Rheingans & Steve O

Att: 4043

6/8/85 Milwaukee, WI @ Auditorium

Michael Hayes & Buddy Roberts & Butch Reed beat Dick The Bruiser & The Crusher & Baron Von Raschke when Reed pinned Von Raschke

Nick Bockwinkel beat AWA Champion Rick Martel dq when Martel tossed Bockwinkel over the top rope

Sgt. Slaughter beat Larry Zbyszko dq when Zbyszko hit the referee

Brad Rheingans drew Steve Regal

Ray Stevens beat Steve O via pin

Att: 2,848

Yikes

6/9/85 St. Paul, MN @ Civic Center

Michael Hayes beat AWA Champion Rick Martel

No title change. Decision later reversed.

Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens beat Greg Gagne & Steve Olsonoski (sub Jim Brunzell)

Fabulous Freebirds Michael Hayes & Buddy Roberts beat Larry Hennig & Curt Hennig

Baron Von Raschke & Brad Rheingans & Buck Zumhofe beat Bobby Duncum & Billy Robinson & Steve Regal

Butch Reed beat Dave Wagner

att: 1,500

6/13/85 Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada @ Arena

Fabulous Freebirds Michael Hayes & Buddy Roberts beat The Crusher & Baron Von Raschke

Greg Gagne & Curt Hennig drew Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens

Handicap match

Butch Reed beat Rick Renslow & Brian Jewel

Larry Zbyszko beat Steve O

Buck Zumhofe beat Dave Wagner

att: 1,864

This is holy shit bad, Summer or not. Absence of Roadies, Blackwell is hurting every fucking town. Meanwhile Verne is still doing dumb shit like running Asbury Park.

6/21/85 Rosemont, IL @ Rosemont Horizon

Terry Gordy & Buddy Roberts & Butch Reed beat Dick The Bruiser & The Crusher & Baron Von Raschke

Sgt. Slaughter beat Larry Zbyszko to win Americas title

Greg Gagne drew Nick Bockwinkel

Ray Stevens beat Steve O

Brad Rheingans drew Billy Robinson

att: 4,000

6/22/85 East Rutherford, NJ @ Meadowlands

Boot Camp Cage match

Sgt. Slaughter beat Kamala

Wahoo McDaniel beat Larry Zbyszko dq

Fabulous Freebirds Michael Hayes & Terry Gordy & Buddy Roberts beat Curt Hennig & Greg Gagne & Jim Duggan

Bobby Duncum beat Steve O

Little Coco & Little Mr. T beat Johnny Rebel & Lord Littlebrook

No number on the Meadlowlands but you can't blame them for running that show given the relative success of the previous show. Rosemont number is shit, down another thousand from the last figure we have there.

6/30/85 Milwaukee, WI @ Auditorium

Dick The Bruiser & The Crusher beat Fabulous Freebirds Michael Hayes & Terry Gordy dq

Bob Backlund drew Larry Zbyszko

Billy Robinson beat Steve O

Brad Rheingans beat Rick Gantner

Att: 2200

Milwaukee is quarter full and nearing death. Birds v. Old Men isn't moving anywhere, and Sarge is missing some of these shows too which makes the three hottest acts in the AWA MIA

7/10/85 Las Vegas, NV @ Showboat Sports Pavilion

Sgt. Slaughter won battle royal

Fabulous Freebirds beat Curt Hennig & Greg Gagne

Nick Bockwinkel beat Baron Von Raschke

Billy Robinson beat Bob Backlund

Brad Rheingans drew Ray Stevens

att: 1500

7/11/85 Salt Lake City, UT @ Salt Palace

Sgt. Slaughter & Greg Gagne drew Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens

Fabulous Freebirds Terry Gordy & Buddy Roberts beat Larry Hennig & Curt Hennig

Brad Rheingans beat Buddy Roberts

Boris Zhukov beat Baron Von Raschke

Att: 1400

Vegas number is probably not bad, but half capacity at best in the Showboat. SLC is practically in the grave and will need something major to come out of it's funk.

7/14/85 St. Paul, MN @ Civic Center

Sgt. Slaughter & Greg Gagne beat Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens dq

AWA Champion Rick Martel beat Michael Hayes dq

AWA Tag Team Champions Road Warriors beat Bill Irwin & Scott Irwin

Terry Gordy & Buddy Roberts beat Steve O & Buck Zumhofe

Cowboy Lang & Little Coco beat Little Tokyo & Lord Littlebrook

Att 2500

Roadies come black, Blackwell doesn't, number is still utter dog shit. Things may not be salvageable at this point. Expanding into other markets and having your three biggest acts off key shows even during your "down" period historically is awful business on Verne's part.

7/18/85 Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada @ Arena

Fabulous Freebirds Michael Hayes & Terry Gordy & Buddy Roberts beat The Crusher & Larry Hennig & Baron Von Raschke

Sleeper vs Sleeper Match

Greg Gagne beat Nick Bockwinkel reverse decision

Boris Zhukov beat Buck Zumhofe

Ray Stevens beat Brian Jewell (sub Curt Hennig)

Cowboy Lang & Little Coco beat Lord Littlebrook & Little Tokyo

att: 3,224

7/19/85 East Rutherford, NJ @ Meadowlands

AWA Tag Team Champions Road Warriors beat Fabulous Freebirds Michael Hayes & Terry Gordy

Sgt. Slaughter beat Larry Zbyszko

Joyce Grable won a women’s battle royal

Ray Stevens beat Greg Gagne dq

Buck Zumhofe drew Buddy Roberts

Bob Backlund beat Larry Sharpe

Boris Zhukov beat Sean O'Reilly

Att: 4500

7/20/85 Chicago, IL

AWA Champion Rick Martel beat Michael Hayes

Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens beat Sgt. Slaughter & Greg Gagne dq

Fabulous Freebirds Terry Gordy & Buddy Roberts beat The Crusher & Buck Zumhofe

Billy Robinson beat Baron Von Raschke

Boris Zhukov beat Steve O

Bill Irwin beat Drew Tossell

Att: 3000

Winnipeg is up some but still weak. Meadowlands is not worth it at that point and it's notable that Roadies v. Birds did very little business. Chicago slides another thousand. Paging Dr. Blackwell?

8/8/85 Las Vegas, NV @ Riviera Hotel

Sgt. Slaughter & Greg Gagne beat Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens

Terry Gordy beat Baron Von Raschke

Larry Zbyszko beat Buck Zumhofe

Steve O drew Billy Robinson

Att 3000

8/9/85 Salt Lake City, UT @ Salt Palace

Boot Camp Match

Sgt. Slaughter & Greg Gagne beat Larry Zbyszko & Nick Bockwinkel

Buck Zumhofe beat Ray Stevens dq

Steve O drew Billy Robinson

att: 7753

Ah, the Riveria Hotel! That's a good number for Vegas and SLC is up! Semi-shocking given how dead it had been.

8/11/85 St. Paul, MN @ Civic Center

AWA Tag Team Champions Road Warriors no contest Bill Irwin & Scott Irwin

Curt Hennig & Rick Martel beat Fabulous Freebirds Michael Hayes & Terry Gordy

Sgt Slaughter beat Larry Zbyszko

Kabuki beat Chris Adams dq

Brad Rheingans beat Boris Zhukov dq

Buck Zumhofe beat Iron Duke

Jim Garvin beat Kevin Kelly

Tom Zenk beat Rick Renslow

8/16/85 East Rutherford, NJ @ Meadowlands

Sgt. Slaughter beat NWA Champion Ric Flair dq

Paul Ellering & Road Warriors beat Fabulous Freebirds Michael Hayes & Terry Gordy & Buddy Roberts dq

Greg Gagne & Curt Hennig beat Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens

Baron Von Raschke beat Davey G

Att: 7,000

No number for St. Paul which is too bad. Meadowlands number is respectable enough and up, but you still have to wonder why they are running there and this should have done better with two title matches, Roadies v. Birds and Flair on the show.

8/18/85 Rosemont, IL @ Rosemont Horizon

Boot Camp match

NWA Champion Ric Flair beat Billy Robinson

Fabulous Freebirds Michael Hayes & Terry Gordy & Buddy Roberts beat Rick Martel & Jerry Blackwell & Larry Hennig dq

Bill Irwin beat Baron Von Raschke

Curt Hennig drew Larry Zbyszko

Scott Irwin beat Rob Rechsteiner

Att: 6000

This boot camp match has popped a few towns to Sarge's credit. This isn't a good number for Chicago really, but considering where it was this is progress. This is also the return of Blackwell and Flair is on the show.

8/19/85 Fairbanks, AK

Jerry Blackwell & Greg Gagne beat Fabulous Freebirds Michael Hayes & Buddy Roberts

Larry Zbyzsko beat Baron Von Raschke

Att: 375

8/20/85 Anchorage, AK

Greg Gagne & Curt Hennig beat Fabulous Freebirds Michael Hayes & Buddy Roberts

Jerry Blackwell beat Terry Gordy

Nick Bockwinkel beat Baron Von Raschke

Buck Zumhofe beat Steve Regal dq

Att: 2250.

8/21/85 Kenai, AK

Jerry Blackwell & Buck Zumhofe beat Fabulous Freebirds Michael Hayes & Buddy Roberts

Greg Gagne beat Larry Zbyszko dq

Steve Regal beat Curt Hennig

Billy Robinson beat Drew Tossell

Att: 325

Insane Verne strikes again. A part of me thinks it is almost impressive that they did any numbers in Alaska at all, but why the fuck were they even running there???

8/21/85 Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada @ Holy Cross School

TV Taping

Bill Irwin & Scott Irwin beat Rob Rechsteiner & Monty Black

Tom Zenk drew Nick Bockwinkel

Scott Hall beat Man Mountain Mike Moore

Boris Zhukov beat Chris Basset

Bill Irwin & Scott Irwin beat Brian Jewel & Randy Rose

Tom Zenk beat Rob Rechsteiner

Rick Martel beat Man Mountain Mike

Scott Hall beat Bob Adams

Boris Zhukov beat Monty Black

Nick Bockwinkel beat Tom Lucas

Bill Irwin & Scott Irwin beat T-Bone Brown & Chris Basset

Tom Zenk beat Brian Jewel

Scott Hall beat Rob Rechsteiner

Boris Zhukov beat Brian Jewel

8/22/85 Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada @ Arena

Boris Zhukov beat AWA Champion Rick Martel dq

Tom Zenk & Larry Hennig & Jerry Blackwell beat Fabulous Freebirds Michael Hayes & Terry Gordy & Buddy Roberts

Baron Von Raschke beat Nick Bockwinkel COR

Tom Zenk beat Steve Regal

Bulldog Bob Brown beat Man Mountain Mike Moore

Scott Hall drew Larry Zbyszko

Bill Irwin & Scott Irwin beat Rob Rechsteiner & Buck Zumhofe

Bulldog Bob Brown beat Brian Jewel

Att: 4,208

More stupidity as Verne runs tv the day before in the same town. This is an averagish number for Winnipeg, but why the fuck would he essentially double book the same town??

8/26/85 Boston, MA

AWA Champion Rick Martel drew Nick Bockwinkel

Sgt. Slaughter beat Boris Zhukov

Greg Gagne beat Steve Regal

Brad Rheingans beat Billy Robinson

Verne decides to try out Boston. God knows why. Blackwell is working on top on most shows without figures during this period.

9/8/85 St. Paul, MN

ESPN TV Taping

AWA Champion Rick Martel beat Kamala dq

Terry Gordy beat Jerry Blackwell dq

Greg Gagne & Curt Hennig & Scott Hall beat Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens & Larry Zbyszko

Buck Zumhofe beat Sgt. Slaughter dq

Baron Von Raschke beat Bill Irwin

Larry Hennig drew Scott Irwin

Larry Clark beat Stan Hansen dq

Jerry Oski & Brad Rheingans drew Wild Bill & Scott Hog Irwin

Curt Hennig & Greg Gagne beat Jim Garvin & Steve Regal dq

Stan Hansen beat Paul Garner

Billy Robinson beat Randy Barber

Was this at the Civic Center? I'm guessing not.

9/14/85 Milwaukee, WI

Sgt. Slaughter & Greg Gagne beat Larry Zbyszko & Nick Bockwinkel dq

Bill Irwin & Scott Irwin beat Baron Von Raschke & Curt Hennig

att: 3,672

Milwaukee trending up a bit, though this is still only a bit over half full and less than what you need.

9/17/85 Anchorage, AK

Sgt. Slaughter beat Michael Hayes dq

Boris Zhukov beat Brad Rheingans

Sgt. Slaughter & Greg Gagne beat Nick Bockwinkel & Larry Zbyszko

Curt Hennig drew Bill Irwin

Scott Irwin beat Drew Tossel

Att: 1,800

9/18/85 Salt Lake City, UT @ Salt Palace

Brad Rheingans & Baron Von Raschke beat Fabulous Freebirds Michael Hayes & Terry Gordy dq

Magnum TA beat Ivan Koloff

Baron Von Raschke beat Jim Garvin dq

Brad Rheingans beat Buddy Roberts COR

Jerry Oski beat Billy Robinson dq

More WTF? Split crewish stuff from Verne.

9/19/85 Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada @ Arena

Wally Karbo Tribute Card

AWA Champion Rick Martel beat Boris Zhukov dq

Jerry Blackwell beat Michael Hayes

Tom Zenk & Curt Hennig beat Bill Irwin & Scott Irwin

Jim Garvin beat Buck Zumhofe

Baron Von Raschke beat Buddy Roberts

Buddy Lane beat Steve Regal

Att: 3,600

Below average, but this is above the abyssmal number from the Summer. Probably would have been better - but Verne did tv at the high school the night before. At least it wasn't a huge tv like the previous one, but still. Blackwell continues to main event in the majority of shows around the loop.

9/28/85 Chicago, IL @ Comiskey Park

NWA Champion Ric Flair beat Magnum TA

Fabulous Freebirds Michael Hayes & Terry Gordy beat AWA Tag Team Champions Road Warriors to win title

(Decision quickly reversed by video replay)

Stan Hansen no contest AWA Champion Rick Martel

Kerry Von Erich beat Jimmy Garvin

Ivan Koloff & Nikita Koloff & Khrusher Khrushchev beat Dick The Bruiser & The Crusher & Baron Von Raschke

Greg Gagne & Curt Hennig & Scott Hall beat Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens & Larry Zbyszko

Sgt Slaughter beat Boris Zhukov dq

Jumbo Tsuruta & Giant Baba & Genichiro Tenyru beat Bill Irwin & Scott Irwin & Harley Race

Bodyslam match

Jerry Blackwell beat Kamala

Mil Mascaras beat Buddy Roberts

Sherri Martel beat Candi Divine to win the AWA Women's title

Steve Regal beat Brad Rheingans

att: 20,347

AWA loads things up and goes balls out. Blackwell v. Kamala is deep is mid-card and feels like an after thought. This is a good number, but you almost feel like it could have been a lot better.

9/29/85 St. Paul, MN @ Civic Center

Jim Garvin & Steve Regal beat Road Warriors to win AWA tag title

AWA Champion Rick Martel beat Jumbo Tsuruta

Handicap Match

Sgt. Slaughter beat Boris Zhukov & Chris Markoff

Jerry Blackwell & Little Mr. T beat Fabulous Freebirds Michael Hayes & Buddy Roberts

Shohei Giant Baba & Genichiro Tenyru no contest Stan Hansen & Larry Zbyszko

Scott Hall beat Drew Tossel

Buck Zumhofe beat Rick Renslow

att: 2,000

Terrible, but this is a fucking stupid ass line up, almost designed to fail.

10/4/85 Los Angeles, CA

Stan Hansen won battle royal

Sgt. Slaughter drew Boris Zhukov

Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens beat Baron Von Raschke & Jerry Blackwell

Greg Gagne beat Jim Garvin

Fabulous Freebirds Michael Hayes & Buddy Roberts beat Curt Hennig & Scott Hall

Att: 2300

10/5/85 Milwaukee, WI

Road Warriors beat Bill Irwin & Scott Irwin dq

Jerry Blackwell & Rick Martel & Little Mr. T beat Michael Hayes & Buddy Roberts & Jim Garvin

Handicap match

Stan Hansen beat Buck Zumhofe & Kevin Kelly

Larry Zbyszko beat Baron Von Raschke

Jerry Oski beat Kamala dq

Scott Hall beat Kevin Kelly

Att: 2432

Why are they moving into LA?? Milwaukee drops significantly off of a dogshit line up.

10/15/85 Anchorage, AK

Michael Hayes beat AWA Champion Rick Martel dq

Curt Hennig & Scott Hall beat Bill Irwin & Scott Irwin

Candi Devine beat Sherri Martel

Baron Von Raschke beat Scott Irwin

10/15/85 Salt Lake City, UT @ Salt Palace

Stan Hansen won battle royal

Greg Gagne drew Nick Bockwinkel 20:00

Brad Rheingans beat Boris Zhukov

Stan Hansen beat Kevin Kelly

Steve Regal beat Jerry Oski

att: 3,520

Blackwell on neither show, but Verne stupidly splits crews for no clear reward. Was Anchorage ever going to make him real money? Fuck no. Stupid. They are running Battle Royals in the spot shows at this point

10/17/85 Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada @ Arena

Mad Dog Vachon & Nick Bockwinkel beat Boris Zhukov & Chris Markoff

Handicap match

Stan Hansen beat Brian Jewell & Ed Wilson

Jim Garvin beat Stan Lane

Scott Hall beat Steve Regal

Sherri Martel beat Candi Devine to win AWA Women's Title

Kelly Kiniski beat Iron Duke

att: 3,528

Winnipeg still below what it should be with a weak line up and tv the day before in town.

10/27/85 St. Paul, MN @ Civic Center

AWA Champion Rick Martel no contest Stan Hansen

Wahoo McDaniel & Curt Hennig & Scott Hall beat Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens & Larry Zbyszko

Michael Hayes beat Jerry Blackwell

Greg Gagne beat Jim Garvin

Bill Irwin beat Kevin Kelly

Greg Boyd drew Boris Zhukov

Leon White beat Scott Irwin

11/2/85 Milwaukee, WI

21 person battle royal opened card to determine order

Scott Hall beat Jim Garvin to win battle royal

Jerry Blackwell beat Michael Hayes dq

Stan Hansen beat Curt Hennig forfeit

Greg Gagne drew Larry Zbyszko

Larry Hennig beat Boris Zhukov

Nick Bockwinkel beat Bill Irwin

Leon White beat Scott Irwin dq

Greg Boyd beat Steve Regal

Jerry America drew Rob Rechsteiner

Kelly Kiniksi beat Jerry Oski

Att 4268

St. Paul is starting to feel like a "why bother? and the card looks weak. Milwaukee does a respectable number off of a battle royal.

11/3/85 Rosemont, IL @ Rosemont Horizon

Road Warrior Animal won battle royal

Road Warriors beat Fabulous Freebirds Michael Hayes & Buddy Roberts

Sgt. Slaughter beat Bill Irwin

Curt Hennig & Greg Gagne & Scott Hall beat Jim Garvin & Steve Regal & Larry Zbyszko

Handicap match

Stan Hansen beat Jerry O & Rob Rechsteiner

att: 9,500

Battle Royal pulls a solid number in IL.

11/13/85 Brandon, Manitoba, Canada @ Keystone Centre

Jerry Blackwell won a 25 man battle royal

Jerry Blackwell beat Boris Zhukov dq

Scott Hall beat Larry Zbyszko dq

Kelly Kiniski beat Bob Adams

Curt Hennig beat Rick Renslow

Jim Garvin & Steve Regal beat Kevin Kelly & Buddy Lane

11/14/85 Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada @ Arena

Cage Match

AWA Champion Rick Martel beat Boris Zhukov

Curt Hennig & Scott Hall beat AWA Tag Team Champions Jim Garvin & Steve Regal

Nick Bockwinkel beat Larry Zbyszko dq

Jerry Blackwell & Kelly Kiniski beat Buddy Roberts & Ray Stevens dq

Stan Hansen beat Kevin Kelly

Ray Stevens beat Buddy Lane

Att 6,012

11/15/85 Denver, CO

Road Warriors drew Fabulous Freebirds

AWA Champion Rick Martel drew Stan Hansen

AWA Tag Team Champions Jim Garvin & Steve Regal beat Fabulous Ones

Att 7500

Hot run. That's the best figure I've ever seen from Denver. Martel v. Zhukov blow off does well. I would bet Brandon did a good number off the battle royal.

11/18/85 Salt Lake City, UT @ Salt Palace

Road Warriors no contest Fabulous Freebirds Michael Hayes & Terry Gordy

Buddy Roberts beat Paul Ellering

AWA Tag Team Champions Jim Garvin & Steve Regal beat Greg Gagne & Curt Hennig

Leon White drew Scott Irwin

Att: 9849.

Crazy SLC spikes again.

12/1/85 Chicago, IL

Road Warriors beat AWA Tag Team Champions Jim Garvin & Steve Regal dq

AWA Champion Rick Martel beat Terry Gordy

Strap Match

Paul Ellering drew Buddy Roberts

Handicap match

Larry Zbyszko beat Kevin Kelly

Scott Hall beat Bill Irwin

att: 8,000

Staying respectable in Chicago. Return of Roadies and Blackwell has clearly helped from the death that was the Summer, but the split crews, needless expansion, double booking in towns, et did nothing but help Vince's putsch.

12/7/85 Milwaukee, WI

Strap match

AWA Tag Team Champions Jim Garvin & Steve Regal beat Fabulous Freebirds Terry Gordy & Buddy Roberts

Larry Hennig beat Boris Zhukov dq

Buck Zumhofe beat Mongolian Stomper dq

Scott Hall drew Scott Irwin

Kelly Kiniski beat Kevin Kelly

Att 2648

Bad number for an unappealing show. The Birds are clearly a package deal and people don't give a shit about Hayes v. Blackwell.

12/12/85 Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada @ Arena

$100,000 Battle royal

Road Warriors beat Boris Zhukov & Chris Markoff

Scott Hall beat Jimmy Garvin

Stan Hansen beat Man Mountain Mike

Mongolian Stomper beat Kevin Kelly

Jerry Blackwell vs Kelly Kiniski

The Alaskans I & II vs Bill Irwin & Scott Irwin

Att: 5,928

Battle Royal PLUS they didn't foolishly run tv the day before!

12/16/85 Salt Lake City, UT @ Salt Palace

Taped Fist Match

Road Warriors & Paul Ellering beat Buddy Roberts & Bill Irwin & Scott Irwin

AWA Tag Team Champions Jim Garvin & Steve Regal beat Buck Zumhofe & Scott Hall

Leon White beat Bill Irwin dq

Larry Zbyszko beat Kevin Kelly

Mongolian Stomper beat Kelly Kiniski

Att 1496

God damn what a crazy fucking town. This is a weak as fuck lineup though.

12/25/85 St. Paul, MN @ Civic Center

AWA Champion Rick Martel beat Stan Hansen dq

Road Warriors no contest AWA Tag Team Champions Jim Garvin & Steve Regal

Nick Bockwinkel beat Larry Zbyszko

Mongolian Stomper & Nord The Barbarian & Boris Zhukov beat Scott Hall & Curt Hennig & Jerry Blackwell

Baron Von Raschke beat Scott Irwin dq

Marty Jannetty beat Kelly Kiniski

Cowboy Lang & Little Mr. T beat Little Tokyo & Lord Littlebrook

Sherri Martel beat Debbie Combs

Att: 7000+

Poor number for Christmas night in St. Paul on a very poor line up. I don't think it's a reach to say that if they had found someone of note to feud with Blackwell they could have done business during this period. He really feels like he's being misused. Same with the Roadies.

12/29/85 Milwaukee, WI

Cage match

AWA Tag Team Champions Jimmy Garvin & Steve Regal beat Scott Hall & Curt Hennig dq

Kamala beat Baron Von Raschke

Little Mr. T beat Lord Littlebrook

Mongolian Stomper beat Eric Ferris

Leon White beat Marty Jannetty

att: 3,940

This is a borderline "average" match for Milwaukee but I almost feel like giving it a notch in the good column, since this lacked a World title match or the Roadies to bolster the card. Martel dropped to Hansen in NJ this day as well at a PWUSA show.

85 is an interesting year. No doubt Vince was hurting them, but Verne did a shit ton to hurt himself. Business was actually fairly strong up until the Roadies and Blackwell departed and the use of Sarge was scaled back. Summer or not that clearly had a hugely adverse effect on the companies drawing power. Blackwell and the Roadies were clearly misused for big chunks of the year and were probably the biggest draws in the company, with Sarge in third.

I think Martel was a draw in certain situations. He clearly did well in Canada. The AWA was better when Martel was on top than people think, but he got a bunch of shitty challengers, and I don't think there was ever a point when he was the top babyface draw in the company.

Would love to get some Montreal attendance figures with Martel though.

And for the fuck of it, 86:

1/10/86 Rosemont, IL @ Rosemont Horizon

Cage match

Road Warriors & Jerry Blackwell beat Fabulous Freebirds Terry Gordy & Michael Hayes & Buddy Roberts

Sgt. Slaughter beat AWA Champion Stan Hansen dq

AWA Tag Team Champions Jim Garvin & Steve Regal beat Curt Hennig & Scott Hall

Nick Bockwinkel beat Larry Zbyszko dq

Boris Zhukov & Barbarian beat Marty Jannetty & Earthquake Ferris

Scott Irwin beat Baron Von Raschke

Bill Irwin beat Kelly Kiniski

Att: 13,000

Massive number for the AWA of this period, in some ways the last real impressive figure as Wrestlerock ultimately feels like it should have done far better than it did. The double main here would have been extremely hot.

1/12/86 St. Paul, MN @ Civic Center

Sgt. Slaughter beat AWA Champion Stan Hansen dq

Road Warriors beat Mongolian Stomper & Nord The Barbarian dq

AWA Tag Team Champions Jim Garvin & Steve Regal beat Curt Hennig & Scott Hall

Curt Hennig beat Earthquake Ferris

Marty Jannetty drew Steve Regal

Bill Irwin & Scott Irwin beat Baron Von Raschke & Buck Zumhofe

1/16/86 Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada @ Arena

Nick Bockwinkel no contest NWA Champion Ric Flair

Non Title

Road Warriors beat AWA Tag Team Champions Steve Regal & Jim Garvin

AWA Champion Stan Hansen beat Rick Martel

Jerry Blackwell beat Boris Zhukov

Mongolian Stomper & Nord the Barbarian beat the Alaskans

Scott Hall beat Earthquake Ferris

Buddy Lane beat Brian Jewel

Candi Devine beat Sherri Martel to win AWA ladies title

att: 6,800

1/17/86 Denver, CO

Road Warriors no contest AWA Tag Team Champions Steve Regal & Jim Garvin

Jerry Blackwell beat AWA Champion Stan Hansen dq

Mongolian Stomper & Boris Zhukov & Barbarian beat Curt Hennig & Scott Hall & Buck Zumhofe

Scott Irwin beat Baron Von Raschke

Leon White beat Bill Irwin

Even with a shit card the degree to which St. Paul has died is really sad and almost hard to believe. Blackwell not being on the show had to have hurt as at this point they really needed all of their stars to draw a big gate. The Winnipeg number is good, but that is a really loaded show. The Denver show interest me because it is a rare Blackwell World Title shot. Shockingly low number of those over the years for a guy who was obviously a draw and a huge piece of puzzle almost from the moment he debuted.

1/30/86 Peoria, IL

Curt Hennig won a Battle Royal

Scott Hall & Larry Hennig beat Sheik Adnan & Mongolian Stomper

Jerry Blackwell & Leon White beat Nord the Barbarian & Boris Zhukov

Mongolian Stomper beat Curt Hennig

Marty Jannetty beat Doug Somers

Note: First AWA card in Peoria since November 1980

1/30/86 San Francisco, CA

Rick Martel vs Jimmy Garvin

Blackwell being paired off against Zhukov in a feud tells you a lot about the state of the AWA. The fact that Verne insisted on doing a split crew still at this point is nuts. The fact that he did it in a town he hadn't run in 6 years and the worst town on his loop is fucking batshit crazy on a different level.

2/4/86 Salt Lake City, UT @ Salt Palace

AWA Champion Stan Hansen beat David Sammartino

Curt Hennig & Marty Jannetty beat Nord The Barbarian & Sheik Adnan

Jerry Blackwell beat Boris Zhukov

Leon White beat Larry Zbyszko dq

Scott Hall beat Doug Somers

Another show that illustrates the weakness of these cards. You almost feel like Blackwell should have been turned heel and given the belt as it may have been something fresh if nothing else.

2/9/86 St. Paul, MN @ Civic Center

Road Warriors & Paul Ellering beat Mongolian Stomper & Boris Zhukov & Barbarian dq

No dq match

AWA Champion Stan Hansen beat Sgt. Slaughter COR

AWA Tag Team Champions Scott Hall & Curt Hennig beat Bill Irwin & Scott Irwin dq

Jerry Blackwell beat Earthquake Ferris (sub King Kong Brody) dq

Brad Rheingans beat Earthquake Ferris

Colonel DeBeers beat Buck Zumhofe

Colonel DeBeers beat Rick Renslow

Marty Jannetty beat Jim Mitchell

att: 2,784

Dog shit card, aside from Hansen v. Sarge which is not really drawing at all. Sadly this is actually UP from the last St. Paul show.

2/16/86 Milwaukee, WI

AWA Tag Team Champions Curt Hennig & Scott Hall beat Mongolian Stomper & Nord The Barbarian

AWA Champion Stan Hansen beat Leon White

Greg Gagne beat Scott Irwin dq

Boris Zhukov beat Brad Rheingans COR

Colonel DeBeers beat Frankie DeFalco

Marty Jannetty beat Bill Irwin

Milwaukee is a quarter full for an extremely weak card with no Blackwell or Sarge.

2/23/86 Rosemont, IL @ Rosemont Horizon

Sgt. Slaughter no contest AWA Champion Stan Hansen

Road Warriors beat Bill Irwin & Scott Irwin

Curt Hennig & Scott Hall & Brad Rheingans beat Boris Zhukov & Mongolian Stomper & Nord The Barbarian

No dq Match

Larry Zbyszko beat Nick Bockwinkel

Midnight Rockers beat The Alaskans

Leon White beat Doug Somers

att: 7,000

This is probably only about 40% full in the Rosemont but I feel like it has to be seen as a success just because it's probably a show that made money. Blackwell is now MIA

3/9/86 St. Paul, MN

Bunkhouse Match

Sgt. Slaughter beat AWA Champion Stan Hansen COR

Road Warriors beat Boris Zhukov & Nord the Barbarian

Brad Rheingans beat King Kong Brody as the Masked Maruader dq

Buddy Rose beat Scott Hall dq

Curt Hennig drew Colonel DeBeers

Midnight Rockers beat Alaskans

Another bad number that is "good for 86"

3/15/86 Salt Lake City, UT

Jerry Blackwell no contest AWA Champion Stan Hansen

Larry Zbyszko beat Nick Bockwinkel dq

Non Title

Boris Zhukov & Nord the Barbarian beat AWA Tag Team Champions Curt Hennig & Scott Hall

Sgt. Slaughter beat Sheik Adnan COR

Brad Rheingans beat Doug Somers

Marty Jannetty beat Colonel DeBeers dq

Shawn Michaels drew Buddy Rose

att: 8,600

Jerry gets a rare AWA title shot in SLC on a show that doesn't have much else and draws a really good figure. I know his health was an issue at that point but again I really feel like Blackwell with the belt should have been considered at this point.

3/16/86 Denver, CO

Non Title

Jerry Blackwell beat AWA Champion Stan Hansen

Non Title

Boris Zhukov & Nord The Barbarian beat AWA Tag Team Champions Curt Hennig & Scott Hall

Midnight Rockers drew Buddy Rose & Colonel DeBeers

Leon White beat Doug Somers

Notable that this got a rematch in Denver. Leads me to believe the first show may have done a decent number.

Blackwell vanishes again.

4/9/86 Niagara Falls, NY @ International Civic Center

Road Warriors beat Ivan Koloff & Nikita Koloff dq

Sgt Slaughter & Scott Hall & The Destroyer (sub Curt Hennig) beat Bill Irwin & Scott Irwin & The Barbarian COR

Rick Martel beat Boris Zhukov

King Kong Brody beat Earthquake Ferris (sub Jerry Blackwell)

Doug Somers beat Mark Ragin

Niagara must have been hard up for wrestling as that's a better number than you would guess.

4/20/86 Minneapolis, MN @ Hubert H Humphrey Metrodome Wrestle Rock

Cage Match

Road Warriors beat Michael Hayes & Jimmy Garvin

Cage Match

Verne Gagne beat Sheik Adnan

Greg Gagne & Jimmy Snuka beat King Kong Brody & Nord the Barbarian

Nick Bockwinkel beat AWA Champion Stan Hansen dq

Scott LeDeoux beat Larry Zbyszko dq

AWA Tag Team Champions Curt Hennig & Scott Hall beat Bill Irwin & Scott Irwin

Sherri Martel won a 10 woman Battle Royal

Rick Martel no contest Harley Race

Shohei Baba beat Bulldog Bob Brown

Barry Windham & Mike Rotundo beat Fabulous Ones

Tiger Mask (Misawa) beat Buck Zumhofe

Buddy Rose & Doug Somers beat Midnight Rockers

Colonel DeBeers beat Wahoo McDaniel dq

Brad Rheingans beat Boris Zhukov

Plus a midget tag team match

att: 22,000

4/24/86 Rockford, IL @ Boylan High School

Steel Cage Match

AWA Tag Team Champions Curt Hennig & Scott Hall beat Buddy Rose & Doug Somers

Shawn Michaels beat Colonel DeBeers dq

Brad Rheingans beat Earthquake Ferris

Marty Jannetty beat Calypso Jim

att: 600

This is telling. They load up Wrestlerock and draw a good, albeit somewhat disappointing figure. The next show they can't sell out a high school gym for a Cage Match. Also worth noting that Rose/Somers and Midnight Rockers are starting to creep up the cards. Rosemont is down to 1800 for the next show without Blackwell or Sarge.

5/30/86 Oakland, CA

Jerry Blackwell won battle royal

Non Title

Midnight Rockers beat AWA TagTeam Champions Buddy Rose & Doug Somers

Curt Hennig beat Colonel DeBeers dq

Scott Hall beat Boris Zhukov

Nord The Barbarian beat Steve Pardee

Rose and Somers have won the tag titles. Battle Royal with Jerry returning to the company does a Bay Areaish mediocre number.

5/31/86 Las Vegas, NV

TV Taping

Curt Hennig (sub Jerry Blackwell) drew AWA Champion Stan Hansen

Nord The Barbarian & Boris Zhukov beat Midnight Rockers

Taped Fist Match

Scott LeDoux beat Larry Zbyszko dq

Nick Bockwinkel & Brad Rheingans & Steve Pardee beat Colonel DeBeers & Buddy Rose & Doug Somers

Midnight Rockers beat Don Fargo & El Siberiano

Nord The Barbarian beat Jesse Hernandez

Colonel DeBeers beat Dennis Stamp

Curt Hennig beat Jay York

Marty Jannetty beat Alex Knight

Nord The Barbarian & Boris Zhukov beat Gus Torres & Buddy Allen

Brad Rheingans beat Don Fargo

Larry Zbyszko beat Gus Torres

If memory serves this is the angle with Blackwell getting beaten senseless by Hansen pre-match when he tries to back out on Doctors orders. Hennig makes the save and has as tremendously great brawl that is another theoretical number one contender for the pending AWA Set.

6/8/86 Chicago, IL @ UIC Pavilion

Nick Bockwinkel no contest AWA Champion Stan Hansen

Scott LeDoux beat Larry Zbyszko

Curt Hennig & Scott Hall beat Colonel DeBeers & Boris Zhukov

Sherri Martel beat Princess Jasmine

Shawn Michaels beat Buddy Rose dq

Madd Maxx & Super Maxx beat Brad Rheingans & Steve O

Alan West drew Earthquake Ferris

att: 1,700

Notice this ain't in the Rosemont.

6/15/86 St. Paul, MN @ Civic Center

Nord The Barbarian & Boris Zhukov beat Jerry Blackwell & Nick Bockwinkel

Greg Gagne & Scott LeDoux beat Larry Zbyszko & Mr. Go dq

Curt Hennig & Scott Hall beat Colonel DeBeers & Boriz Zhukov dq

Midnight Rockers beat Buddy Rose & Doug Somers

Brad Rheingans & Alan West drew Madd Maxx & Super Maxx

att: 1,700

Terrible card. Jerry returns to the Twin Cities but he literally has no one to work against. I really think Jerry v. Bock could have done some business. Not great given the circumstances, but better than this.

6/22/86 Green Bay, WI @ Brown County Veteran's Arena

Cage Match

AWA Champion Stan Hansen beat Nick Bockwinkel via pin

Ray Stevens & Greg Gagne & Verne Gagne beat Boris Zukhov & Nord The Barbarian & Sheik Adnan when Greg pinned Zhukov

Jerry Blackwell beat Boris Zukhov (sub King Kong Brody) COR

AWA Tag Team Champions Buddy Rose & Doug Somers beat Midnight Rockers when Somers pinned Shawn Michaels

Colonel DeBeers beat Scott Hall dq

Taped Fist Match

Scott LeDoux beat The Mysterious Mr. Go dq

Sherri Martel beat Princess Jasmine via pin

Wish we had a number here. For 86 AWA this is a loaded show.

6/27/86 Salt Lake City, UT @ Salt Palace

AWA Champion Stan Hansen beat Nick Bockwinkel

NWA Champion Ric Flair beat Curt Hennig

Midnight Rockers beat AWA Tag Team champions Buddy Rose & Doug Somers dq

Scott LeDoux no contest Larry Zbyszko

Ali Kahn beat Jerry Blackwell

Greg Gagne & Jimmy Snuka beat Boris Zhukov & Nord The Barbarian

Colonel DeBeers beat Brad Rheingans

Candi Devine beat Sherri Martel

att: 11,557

SLC attendance remains the hardest to figure out. This is the biggest number they have EVER done in that building. Flair has spiked them some in other areas but this is by FAR the biggest spike. On the other hand this show does have three title matches. Still this is an insane number for the AWA from this period even if it is a "super show"

6/28/86 Oakland, CA

Jerry Blackwell beat AWA Champion Stan Hansen dq

Nord The Barbarian beat Nick Bockwinkel

Curt Hennig & Midnight Rockers beat Buddy Rose & Doug Somers & Alexis Smirnoff

Scott LeDoux no contest Larry Zbyszko

Colonel DeBeers beat Brad Rheingans (sub Scott Hall)

Jimmy Snuka beat Jay York

Sherri Martel beat Candi Devine to win AWA ladies title

Earthquake Ferris beat Ali Kahn

Notable because Jerry gets a shot. Sadly this isn't a terrible number for the Bay Area, just not a good one either.

7/19/86 Chicago, IL @ UIC Pavilion

Non Title

Nord the Barbarian beat AWA Champion Nick Bockwinkel

Jerry Blackwell beat Larry Zbyszko dq

Colonel DeBeers beat Scott Hall COR

Midnight Rockers beat Doug Somers & Mr. Go (sub Buddy Rose)

Madd Maxx & Super Maxx beat Alan West & Rick Gantner

Ali Khan beat Curt Hennig dq

Brad Rheingans drew Boris Zhukov

Earthquake Ferris beat Jake Milliman

att: 1500

Really thin card. The thing is Blackwell v. Bock was a FRESH MATCH, with two guys that had a name. No clue why they didn't go that route.

8/12/86 Asbury Park, NJ

AWA Tag Team Champions Buddy Rose & Doug Somers beat Midnight Rockers

Non Title

Larry Zbyszko beat AWA Champion Nick Bockwinkel

Jimmy Snuka beat Boris Zhukov

Nord The Barbarian beat Dennis Mitchell

Joe Savoldi beat Pink Menace

8/16/86 Pittsburgh, PA

AWA Champion Nick Bockwinkel beat Nord The Barbarian dq

Non Title

Midnight Rockers beat AWA Tag Team Champions Buddy Rose & Doug Somers

Jimmy Snuka beat Larry Zbyszko

att: 587

8/17/86 Monogahela, PA afternoon

Midnight Rockers beat Nord The Barbarian & Boris Zhukov

Jimmy Snuka beat Buddy Rose

Scott Hall beat Doug Somers

Colonel DeBeers beat Tim Patterson

Last Warrior beat Tyree Pride

att: 592

8/17/86 Steubenville, OH evening

AWA Champion Nick Bockwinkel beat Boris Zhukov

Jimmy Snuka beat Barbarian dq

Colonel DeBeers beat Tim Patterson

Last Warrior beat Tyree Pride

att: 650

An East Coast swing capped off by double duty? Why Verne, Why?

8/28/86 San Jose, CA

att: 700

8/29/86 Stockton, CA

att: 500

8/30/86 Las Vegas, NV

AWA Champion Nick Bockwinkel beat Boris Zhukov

Scott Hall dcor Colonel DeBeers

Shohei Giant Baba & Wajima beat ??

Why is he running new towns in California of all places? WTF? Wajima!

9/7/86 Chicago, IL

Midnight Rockers beat AWA Tag Team Champions Buddy Rose & Doug Somers to win title.

Decision later reversed as the wrong man (Somers) was pinned

Curt Hennig (sub Nord The Barbarian) beat Nick Bockwinkel to win AWA Title when Larry Zbyszko hit Bockwinkel with nunchakus

Later announced, Curt returned the AWA Title to Bockwinkel because Hennig could not accept winning it in an unjust manner.

Greg Gagne & Jerry Blackwell & Jimmy Snuka beat Sheik Adnan & Ali Khan & Boris Zhukov

Scott Hall beat Colonel DeBeers

Curt Hennig dcor Larry Zbyszko

Earthquake Ferris beat Tom Stone

Stoney Burke beat Rick Gantner

att: 1,000

And Chicago is officially dead for good as an AWA town of any value.

9/13/86 Oakland, CA @ Coliseum

AWA Tag Team Champions Buddy Rose & Doug Somers beat Curt Hennig & Scott Hall dq

AWA Champion Nick Bockwinkel beat Sheik Adnan (sub Nord The Barbarian)

Jimmy Snuka beat Colonel DeBeers COR

Midnight Rockers beat Ali Kahn & Boris Zhukov

Larry Zbyszko beat Greg Gagne dq

Earthquake Ferris drew Mr. Go

att: 1,374

9/14/86 Antioch, CA

Earthquake Ferris & Ray Stevens beat AWA Tag Team Champions Buddy Rose & Doug Somers

Midnight Rockers beat Larry Zbyszko & Ninja

Curt Hennig beat Sheik Adnan COR

att: 1,534

Sad when this is UP from he last Cali tour. St. Paul draws less than 1500 and they run a show in Waltman Mass days later... Rockers v. Rose/Somers are headlining a lot which makes sense because at least the matches are exciting but the lack of talent, the booking decisions, et. are almost stunningly awful at this point.

10/18/86 Las Vegas, NV

Curt Hennig won a battle royal

Jimmy Snuka beat Colonel DeBeers dq

Marty Jannetty ddq Buddy Rose

Earthquake Ferris beat Ken Timbs COR

Alexis Smirnoff & Yuri Gordienko beat Curt Hennig & Steve O

Curt Hennig beat Alex Knight

att: 3,000 sellout

10/19/86 St. Paul, MN

Curt Hennig won battle royal

Non Title

Larry Zbyszko beat AWA Champion Nick Bockwinkel

Midnight Rockers & Jerry Blackwell beat Buddy Rose & Doug Somers & The Blaster

Curt Hennig beat Colonel DeBeers COR

Super Ninja beat Earthquake Ferris

Steve O drew Ali Khan

Note: Silo Sam, Ken Timbs and Billy Robinson competed in the battle royal

Battle Royal spikes Vegas some. It does not spike St. Paul.

10/26/86 Chicago, IL

Curt Hennig won battle royal

Midnight Rockers & Jerry Blackwell beat The Blaster & Buddy Rose & Doug Somers

AWA Champion Nick Bockwinkel beat Larry Zbyszko dq

Curt Hennig no contest Colonel DeBeers

Earthquake Ferris beat Brian Knobbs

att: 1,000

Pathetic

11/27/86 St. Paul, MN

AWA Champion Nick Bockwinkel beat Larry Zbyszko

Midnight Rockers & Despina Montagus beat Buddy Rose & Doug Somers & Sherri Martel

Step Ladder match

Jerry Blackwell beat Colonel DeBeers

Curt Hennig beat Boris Zhukov

Leon White won handicap match

Alexis Smirnoff & Yuri Gordienko beat Buck Zumhofe & John Paul Demann

Super Ninja beat Steve Olsonoski

11/30/86 Chicago, IL @ UIC Pavilion

Curt Hennig beat AWA Champion Nick Bockwinkel dq

Jerry Blackwell beat Colonel DeBeers

Midnight Rockers & Despina Montagus beat Buddy Rose & Doug Somers & Sherri Martel

Greg Gagne beat Larry Zbyszko dq

Leon White beat Boris Zhukov

Alexis Smirnoff & Yuri Gordienko beat Billy Robinson & Steve Olsonoski

att: 400

Note: I’ve also seen this card dated 11/26/86.

I wonder if that Blackwell v. Debeers Ladder Match was the source of interest in St. Paul as it was a completely fresh gimmick. The number still sucks, but is way up from previous shows. Meanwhile Chicago is the worst town in the territory.

12/14/86 Buffalo, NY @ Amherst Campus Alumni Arena

Postponed card from November 2

Battle Royal

Midnight Rockers vs Doug Somers & Buddy Rose

Larry Zbyszko vs Greg Gagne

Colonel DeBeers vs Jerry Blackwell

Last Blackwell date of the year.

12/25/86 St. Paul, MN @ Civic Center

Special Referee: Billy Robinson

AWA Champion Nick Bockwinkel beat Curt Hennig dq

Non Title Cage Match

Mr. Saito & Super Ninja & Larry Zbyszko beat Scott Hall & Leon White & Greg Gagne

Colonel DeBeers beat Jimmy Snuka dq

Earthquake Ferris beat Brian Nobbs

Buck Zumhofe drew Buddy Wolff

Att: 3,500

12/27/86 Denver, CO

Colonel DeBeers beat Jimmy Snuka dq

AWA Tag Team Champions Buddy Rose & Doug Somers beat Midnight Rockers

Super Ninja & Mr. Saito & Larry Zbyszko beat Scott Hall & Nick Bockwinkel & Leon White

Boris Zhukov beat Steve Olsonoski

Buck Zumhofe drew Buddy Wolff

att: 4,606

Verne had to be happy with these numbers - which is sad. When they were able to load up the shows they did okay business, but Sarge and the Roadies leaving, Blackwell being on again/off again, et really hurt them. What this really shows me is how terrible the AWA talent pool was at this time, but also how awful a promoter Verne was in terms of getting the most out of the guys he had. There aren't really plusses to be drawn here for anyone, though I don't think I could give anyone other than Verne any real negatives.

Blackwell in 1985—my general comments:

1/8/85 Salt Lake City, UT @ Salt Palace

Curt Hennig & Larry Hennig beat King Kong Brody & Sheik Adnan

Fabulous Ones & Baron Von Raschke beat Road Warriors & Paul Ellering

Att 8987

1/10/85 Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada @ Arena

TV Taping

Sgt. Slaughter beat Mr. Saito dq

Jimmy Garvin beat John Nord dq

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Brian Jewel & Rob Rechsteiner

That's a very good figure for a Blackwelless SLC, but look at the show - it's fucking loaded. Hard to imagine a more loaded show for 85 AWA than that as you have Bock, Brody, Hennigs (with Curt doing double duty), a World Title match and Roadies v. Fabs. hard to say if the fact that it was a TV Taping helped Winnipeg or not, but that feels like a hot main event and the fact is it's up over 2,000 from the previous Winnipeg show where Blackwell was third from the top against aged Billy Robinson.

First thing to note is that the AWA did two types of TV. One was arena matches for TSN, specifically taped for TSN Wrestling in Canada. This began in and around late fall of 1984. That continued right through the end in January 1986.

The second type of TV was done at a local High School. Some of those matches made TSN occasionally, more towards the end of their run, but I have always assumed most of those TV’s were done for the local AWA TV show that wasn’t affiliated with TSN. I do not have much AWA Winnipeg TV, but it’s all I can think of when they would run a card with 10 squashes on it, most of which never saw the light of day on TSN.

1/12/85 Milwaukee, WI

Fabulous Ones & The Crusher beat Road Warriors & Paul Ellering

Lights Out Match

King Kong Brody beat Jerry Blackwell

Jimmy Garvin beat Jim Brunzell via pin

Nick Bockwinkel drew Curt Hennig

Masked Superstar beat Tom Stone via pin

Brad Rheingans beat Jake Milliman (sub Mr. Saito)

Att: 5,741

Note: Milwaukee Sentinel says Blackwell beat Brody

That's less than 500 away from a sellout in Milwaukee, with what looks like a very hot double main event and not much else of note on the show (Bock v. Curt didn't "heat up" til later and I'm not sure it ever did impressive business).

Bockwinkel vs. Hennig was just a mid-card match at this stage. Good matchup but no real angle or stipulation that I can recall. Curt was coming into his own as a singles worker but at this time the idea was to promote him as a viable compliment for tags against the LOD (mostly with his father a bit later on).

1/13/85 St Paul, MN @ Civic Center evening

No dq match, Sheik Adnan handcuffed to Sgt. Slaughter

Jerry Blackwell beat King Kong Brody COR

The Crusher & Fabulous Ones beat the Road Warriors & Paul Ellering

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Masked Superstar & Sheik Adnan

Nick Bockwinkel & Mr Saito beat Larry Hennig & Curt Hennig dq

John Nord beat Jimmy Doo

att: 11,000

This is a strong number, though the show is really loaded. You could argue it could have done better, but it seems wrong to pan a 10k plus show in the AWA. Hard to pinpoint what was moving business, but it is worth noting that Brody v. Blackwell is the hottest feud in the territory by a safe margin if you are going by the tv.

Gagne and Brunzell’s reunion match on this card (first tag-up since Brody injured Gagne’s knee) was an important element of this show as well.

1/17/85 Las Vegas, NV @ Showboat Sports Pavilion

Lights Out match

Jimmy Garvin beat AWA Champion Rick Martel dq

Non title

Larry Hennig & Curt Hennig (subs for Fabulous Ones) beat AWA Tag Team Champions Road Warriors

Jim Brunzell beat Steve Regal

This is a very good number for Showboat I would imagine.

As noted in the 84 post, 2000 was a standard number there in the ESPN TV era and that number always looked very close to a sell-out. The 3-6000 numbers we have seen for that venue makes me wonder what the capacity actually was, and how much the room could be configured or re-configured for shows. So yeah, I would say 3 grand is a good number for sure.

1/30/85 San Francisco, CA @ Cow Palace

No dq match

Larry Hennig & Curt Hennig (Subs for Fabulous Ones) & Baron Von Raschke beat Road Warriors & Paul Ellering

Pat Barrett drew Guy Lambert

Att 4900

Very good number for the Palace, bordering on great when you see how shitty that town had been drawing in prior years. Also interesting that Superstar v. Blackwell went on last and the title match was in the mid-card. I would venture to guess this had to do with what matches were garnering the most heat as Blackwell v. Brody was the hot feud. Also worth noting that Superstar was plugged in fairly effectively as a replacement for Brody from a storyline perspective which I think speaks well of Eadie, Adnan (who was hated) and Blackwell.

Only caution I would put here is that I suspect Superstar might have been announced as a replacement very late, if not at the show itself, and if that’s the case, I would suspect it hurts future Blackwell-Brody bookings later on.

2/22/85 St. Paul, MN @ Civic Center

Sgt. Slaughter & Jerry Blackwell beat AWA Tag Team Champions Road Warriors dq

AWA Champion Rick Martel dcor Bob Backlund

Mr. Saito & Masked Superstar & King Tonga beat Steve O & Larry Hennig & Curt Hennig

John Nord drew Tom Zenk

Att 10,000+

What's funny is that 2k is actually not awful for the Cow Palace, though it's less than half of the last show. Looking at the card that's no surprise. SLC is still holding really strong. St. Paul turns in another good number. Blackwell is notably placed in the last match of all of these cards. Pretty clear Verne sees him as his money making babyface and there is no reason to think he was wrong.

Slaughter still being fresh is important here as the Slaughter-Blackwell team was definitely looked at as a threat to the LODs title reign, possibly the last viable one left in the fans minds.

3/4/85 Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada @ PNE Coliseum

AWA Tag Team Champions Road Warriors beat Mr. Saito & Moose Morowski

Lights Out match

Jim Brunzell beat Sheik Adnan

Buck Zumhofe beat Moondog Moretti

Steve Austin beat John Baker

Att: 1,500

At this point you see Verne starting to move into a couple of oddball spots out West. I have no clue why they were trying to run Vancouver now, unless Verne was just pissed at Tomko for some reason. No clue if this is a good figure for the town or not. Not surprising that they would run title matches on top in a "new" town.

My assumption for this, the Alaska shows, and some of the other spots they tried to run is that instead of working on protecting their “home turf”, Verne thought spreading the AWA out to be even bigger was the way to go. Verne was a stubborn man and convinced that the AWA style was the style that the fans would prefer to see over the WWF. Up until this point, the AWA was holding up well against the invasion of the WWF in the Twin Cities and most of their other regular areas, so his confidence that they could translate that into more success in more places would have been at it’s peak.

I used to know who Brunzell subbed in for in the title match there, but I can’t remember now. I *think* it might have been Superstar, who was moved over to fight Blackwell when Brody no-showed. I assume the Moose Morowski sub is for Bockwinkel.

Brunzell could also be subbing in for Jim Garvin here.

3/7/85 Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada @ Arena

Jerry Blackwell drew Sheik Adnan

Billy Robinson beat Buddy Lane

att: 5,208

Winnipeg still holding pretty solid. Interesting card and if it is the show I'm thinking you clearly have to credit Blackwell for a lot of this. The result doesn't say it, but this was a match where If Blackwell beat Eadie he got five minutes with Adnan. Crowd was molten for it, it's a great match(es?), and it definitely felt like the biggest thing on the show.

The Garvin-Martel match is also their blowoff, and featured “Bertha Von Raschke” in the corner of Martel to counteract the interference of Precious. The interviews with The Baron in drag are really funny stuff.

3/8/85 St Louis, MO

Missouri State Champion Jerry Blackwell beat Bulldog Bob Brown

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Masked Superstar & Mr Saito

Sgt Slaughter dcor Wahoo McDaniel

Mike Von Erich beat Jimmy Garvin

American Starship beat Marty Jannetty & Steve Olsonoski

Dick the Bruiser beat Mr Pogo dq

Rufus R Jones beat Ken Timbs

att: 2,610

Wow. No clue what to think of this. This is probably a Central States promoted show...or is it? Hard to tell. Feels like a shitty figure, but why the fuck was Verne running that town assuming this wasn't Geigel and friends?

As I recall Verne owned a piece of St. Louis at one point in the 80’s, and maybe it was around this time. The Central States influence is noteworthy, but there are also elements of the St. Louis “bring anyone in” mentality that made it a unique place to see wrestling.

3/9/85 Rosemont, IL @ Rosemont Horizon

Special Referee: Verne Gagne

Sgt. Slaughter & Jerry Blackwell beat King Tonga & Masked Superstar & Sheik Adnan dq

Candi Devine beat Diane Von Hoffman

John Nord drew Tom Zenk

Would like a figure here. Also worth noting that the High Flyers have re-emerged on the last several shows.

Verne had his ribs injured either during or after this match by Adnan et al, and it lead to the Chicago version of Star Cage later on. Verne also liked to keep track of events over years that kept feuds going, and this match was mentioned often in the build to Wrestlerock as a big reason Verne wanted Adnan in the cage if Greg and Snuka beat Brody and Nord.

Wonder how this did. GB was an interesting town to monitor as it only seemed to draw huge for molten programs. This is followed up by a bizarre run of shows in modest sized upstate NJ towns. No fucking clue what the point of that was. No figures on them, but Jerry isn't on the shows anyhow.

The point was Pro Wrestling USA was going at this time, and these NJ shows were an offshoot of that promotion in the sense that there were suddenly AWA guys on TV in that region.

3/19/85 Salt Lake City, UT @ Salt Palace

Jerry Blackwell & Sgt. Slaughter beat Masked Superstar & King Tonga dq

Misty Blue beat Linda Dallas

Att 4502

Verne the lunatic runs a split show again, this time with Baron/Backlund headlining against Nagasaki/Saito in NY. As a result both shows are weak and SLC shits the bed for the first time since Blackwell was MIA in 84. Not really an awful number for the town, but clearly a bad sign.

I’m sure Brunzell must be a sub for someone else in Salt Lake. Garvin, perhaps?

That's a good number for New Haven, but again you have to wonder why on Earth they are trying to run that area

As noted, these shows were tied into PW USA.

3/24/85 Denver, CO @ Auditorium Arena afternoon

Larry Hennig & Curt Hennig beat AWA Tag Team Champions Road Warriors dq

Jerry Blackwell & Sgt. Slaughter drew Mr. Saito & King Tonga & Masked Superstar

Att 4719.

We don't have a previous number of note in Denver so I have no clue if that is a good figure or not.

Aud/Arena was used for shows that were “average” in terms of expected draw. I think that’s around the normal number for it. McNichols would get some “bigger” shows here and there.

I think Denver attendance can largely be compared to Winnipeg’s attendance in terms of the ebb and flow of the numbers. I have talked to guys in Denver that attended many shows there and that seems to be what they wre implying without giving me anything more than a guess on the numbers. So, this is an ok number in my estimation.

4/19/85 East Rutherford, NJ @ Meadowlands

Ugandan Death Match

Kamala beat Sgt. Slaughter

Fabulous Freebirds Michael Hayes & Terry Gordy & Buddy Roberts drew Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell & Tonga Kid

Jim Duggan beat Kendo Nagasaki

The Samoans beat Tom Zenk & Steve O

Bobby Duncum beat Larry Sharpe

Att 10,000

East Coast swing. 10k is a good number for a Meadowlands show with essentially foreign talent. Blackwell stayed away from the East Coast swings as a rule.

Pro Wrstling USA Show, and of note Blackwell got called on his health problems in New Jersey at the big shows. He was forced to sit out the tag team battleroyal at the first PWUSA show, *think* because of high blood pressure. As I recall, McMahon made sure that the New Jersey Commission was aware of the potential health concerns of Blackwell and compelled them to check it out.

Vince did this on more than one occasion in different places during his was with the AWA et al. I would guess that Blackwell was kept out of New Jersey after the first time it happened because of that.

4/21/85 St. Paul, MN @ Civic Center

Cage match

AWA Tag Team Champions Road Warriors beat Larry Hennig & Curt Hennig dq

Verne Gagne & Greg Gagne beat Nick Bockwinkel & Mr. Saito

Bob Backlund & Brad Rheingans beat Larry Zbyszko & Butch Reed

Jim Brunzell & Tonga Kid beat Billy Robinson & Bobby Duncum

Steve Olsonoski & Tom Zenk beat The Alaskans

att: 12,000

This is a really good St. Paul number at this point. Verne helped. Roadies helped. The fans were probably ready for the ultimate Blackwell blowoff against Adnan and this was it. Also a really great match.

Star Cage 85, also televised closed-circuit in the Twin Cities. The April shows were beginning to become “special” shows in the Twin Cities. I actually think Verne expected a full sell-out with this one on his latest comeback alone, so the number might be considered a disappointment despite how it compares to other numbers in St. Paul from 85.

I get the tag team spectacular theme of the show but Martel really should have defended on it, IMO.

4/28/85 Rosemont, IL @ Rosemont Horizon

Cage match

Sgt. Slaughter & Jerry Blackwell & Verne Gagne beat Masked Superstar & King Tonga & Sheik Adnan

Larry Hennig & Curt Hennig drew AWA Tag Team Champions Road Warriors

Fabulous Freebirds Michael Hayes & Terry Gordy & Buddy Roberts beat Jim Brunzell & Greg Gagne & Tonga Kid

Dick The Bruiser & The Crusher beat Butch Reed & Larry Zbyszko

Nick Bockwinkel & Mr. Saito beat Brad Rheingans & Tom Zenk

Star Cage in Chicago. This is the revenge spot for Verne from a few months back when he reffed a match between these teams and got attacked.

5/23/85 Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada @ Arena

Fabulous Freebirds Michael Hayes & Buddy Roberts beat Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell

Butch Reed beat Baron Von Raschke COR

The Crusher beat Rick Renslow

Larry Zbyszko beat Ron Ritchie

att: 1,900

Winnipeg finally croaks. Show doesn't look awful, but isn't the strongest. Notable that Roadies, Blackwell and Sarge are all absent.

Zbyszko had no real push in Winnipeg up until this show, so the Main event would have been a “WTF” for most fans.

Part of the problem with Zbyszko is that they began his push after he had achieved complete mid-card status in the AWA, drawing with the likes of Curt Hennig and being massacred by Dusty Rhodes in a one-shot appearance by Rhodes in June 1984. I don’t remember if he had the Americas Title yet but in Winnipeg, who would have cared about it anyway?

5/25/85 Chicago

Jerry Blackwell & Sgt. Slaughter beat Road Warrior Animal & Paul Ellering (sub RW Hawk)

AWA Champion Rick Martel beat Buddy Roberts (sub King Tonga)

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Fabulous Freebirds Michael Hayes & Buddy Roberts dq

Butch Reed no contest The Crusher

Larry Zbyszko (sub Jim Garvin) beat Baron Von Raschke

Steve Regal drew Steve O

Note: Terry Gordy also no showed.

Weak number. Probably did not help that they were coming off a massive show from before, but this is still bad.

I think Roberts actually subbed for Gordy against Martel…he and Hayes had a coin flip for the match.

6/9/85 St. Paul, MN @ Civic Center

No title change. Decision later reversed.

Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens beat Greg Gagne & Steve Olsonoski (sub Jim Brunzell)

Fabulous Freebirds Michael Hayes & Buddy Roberts beat Larry Hennig & Curt Hennig

Baron Von Raschke & Brad Rheingans & Buck Zumhofe beat Bobby Duncum & Billy Robinson & Steve Regal

Butch Reed beat Dave Wagner

6/13/85 Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada @ Arena

Fabulous Freebirds Michael Hayes & Buddy Roberts beat The Crusher & Baron Von Raschke

Greg Gagne & Curt Hennig drew Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens

Handicap match

Butch Reed beat Rick Renslow & Brian Jewel

Larry Zbyszko beat Steve O

Buck Zumhofe beat Dave Wagner

att: 1,864

This is holy shit bad, Summer or not. Absence of Roadies, Blackwell is hurting every fucking town. Meanwhile Verne is still doing dumb shit like running Asbury Park.

I’ve stated it before, but the Freebirds either in singles or as a team did not draw well in the AWA at all. Roadies-Freebirds was the occasional exception but they never really ran it when they should have. They never programmed compelling opponents with them, often going with makeshift 6-man teams with older stars that didn’t mesh well with the Birds, with no real story to build the matches. Hayes as a singles challenger feuding with Martel was absolutely the wrong choice in the sense that it came right after Garvin…it felt like the same series of matches all over again.

6/30/85 Milwaukee, WI @ Auditorium

Dick The Bruiser & The Crusher beat Fabulous Freebirds Michael Hayes & Terry Gordy dq

Bob Backlund drew Larry Zbyszko

Billy Robinson beat Steve O

Brad Rheingans beat Rick Gantner

Att: 2200

Milwaukee is quarter full and nearing death. Birds v. Old Men isn't moving anywhere.

Bruiser and Crusher were at the end of the line, and even their biggest supporters knew it. That tag main event sells out as late as 1983, I bet.

7/11/85 Salt Lake City, UT @ Salt Palace

Sgt. Slaughter & Greg Gagne drew Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens

Fabulous Freebirds Terry Gordy & Buddy Roberts beat Larry Hennig & Curt Hennig

Brad Rheingans beat Buddy Roberts

7/14/85 St. Paul, MN @ Civic Center

Sgt. Slaughter & Greg Gagne beat Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens dq

Terry Gordy & Buddy Roberts beat Steve O & Buck Zumhofe

Cowboy Lang & Little Coco beat Little Tokyo & Lord Littlebrook

Att 2500

Roadies come black, Blackwell doesn't, number is still utter dog shit. Things may not be salvageable at this point. Expanding into other markets and having your three biggest acts off key shows even during your "down" period historically is awful business on Verne's part.

The Slaughter-Gagne vs. Bock/Stevens matches came off of the “Gagne in Boot Camp” vignette that turned Greg into Rambo Greg Gagne for a bit. Good matchup but a rematch of Hayes-Martel did not help at all (refer to my previous comments on that pairing), and while the Irwins were decent challengers and the matches were good, by this point the Roadies looked completely unbeatable AND were fan favourites, so nobody was showing up to see if they would lose.

7/18/85 Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada @ Arena

Fabulous Freebirds Michael Hayes & Terry Gordy & Buddy Roberts beat The Crusher & Larry Hennig & Baron Von Raschke

Sleeper vs Sleeper Match

Greg Gagne beat Nick Bockwinkel reverse decision

Boris Zhukov beat Buck Zumhofe

Ray Stevens beat Brian Jewell (sub Curt Hennig)

att: 3,224

Of note here is Zurkov attacked Martel after the match and laid him out cold with his head, setting up their trilogy. The Gagne-Bockwinkel bout was a “Sleeper” match (must win with the Sleeper) and was promoted as such.

8/11/85 St. Paul, MN @ Civic Center

AWA Tag Team Champions Road Warriors no contest Bill Irwin & Scott Irwin

Curt Hennig & Rick Martel beat Fabulous Freebirds Michael Hayes & Terry Gordy

Sgt Slaughter beat Larry Zbyszko

Kabuki beat Chris Adams dq

Buck Zumhofe beat Iron Duke

Jim Garvin beat Kevin Kelly

Tom Zenk beat Rick Renslow

No number for St. Paul which is too bad.

From tape I’ve seen of the two tags on top, I would guess this was in the 2-3000 range, like the previous shows. Originally it was going to be Martel and Crusher vs the Freebirds, but either Crusher pulled out or they changed the main event late because Crusher was not selling tickets (I think it was both. Crusher had a history of holding Verne up for more money before big shows and Verne probably saw the advanced sales and said “fuck you” this time). Hennig and Martel is a more compelling team IMO, but it wasn’t back in 1985 as Curt was not getting any sort of main-event push yet.

8/18/85 Rosemont, IL @ Rosemont Horizon

Boot Camp match

NWA Champion Ric Flair beat Billy Robinson

Fabulous Freebirds Michael Hayes & Terry Gordy & Buddy Roberts beat Rick Martel & Jerry Blackwell & Larry Hennig dq

Bill Irwin beat Baron Von Raschke

Scott Irwin beat Rob Rechsteiner

Att: 6000

This boot camp match has popped a few towns to Sarge's credit. This isn't a good number for Chicago really, but considering where it was this is progress. This is also the return of Blackwell and Flair is on the show.

Some Chicago people I have talked to went to this show went specifically for Robinson-Flair…”Student vs. Teacher” was how a lot of the tv interviews were promoted leading up to it. Some wrestlers were actually noted to have snuck out to see this one. Robinson-Flair was intriguing to a lot of people even with Robinson notably past his prime.

8/21/85 Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada @ Holy Cross School

TV Taping

Bill Irwin & Scott Irwin beat Rob Rechsteiner & Monty Black

Tom Zenk drew Nick Bockwinkel

Scott Hall beat Man Mountain Mike Moore

Boris Zhukov beat Chris Basset

Bill Irwin & Scott Irwin beat Brian Jewel & Randy Rose

Tom Zenk beat Rob Rechsteiner

Rick Martel beat Man Mountain Mike

Scott Hall beat Bob Adams

Boris Zhukov beat Monty Black

Nick Bockwinkel beat Tom Lucas

Bill Irwin & Scott Irwin beat T-Bone Brown & Chris Basset

Tom Zenk beat Brian Jewel

Scott Hall beat Rob Rechsteiner

Boris Zhukov beat Brian Jewel

8/22/85 Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada @ Arena

Boris Zhukov beat AWA Champion Rick Martel dq

Tom Zenk & Larry Hennig & Jerry Blackwell beat Fabulous Freebirds Michael Hayes & Terry Gordy & Buddy Roberts

Baron Von Raschke beat Nick Bockwinkel COR

Tom Zenk beat Steve Regal

Bulldog Bob Brown beat Man Mountain Mike Moore

Bill Irwin & Scott Irwin beat Rob Rechsteiner & Buck Zumhofe

Bulldog Bob Brown beat Brian Jewel

Att: 4,208

More stupidity as Verne runs tv the day before in the same town. This is an averagish number for Winnipeg, but why the fuck would he essentially double book the same town??

Not sure why doing a TV one night and a big card the next night would be considered stupid. Some of those matches were used on TSN and the rest likely on whatever local tv they still had, either that or kept in the can for future use on TSN. The concept makes sense to me.

8/26/85 Boston, MA

AWA Champion Rick Martel drew Nick Bockwinkel

Sgt. Slaughter beat Boris Zhukov

Greg Gagne beat Steve Regal

Brad Rheingans beat Billy Robinson

Verne decides to try out Boston. God knows why.

The AWA was brought in with the Muscular Dystrophy association to hold this card, called “Wrestle for a Cure”. It was broadcast on local TV and proceeds from the event were donated to the MDA (right around telethon time, after all). The matches were notably short (10-12 minutes max for each, including the AWA title match…it was a 10 minute draw!)

This was held I think at Boston university, and I would peg the attendance at a near sell-out, which I think was around 5,000 for this venue. Sounds like you might need this for the AWA 80’s project.

The clear headliner and what the show was built around was Slaughter-Zurkov, FWIW.

9/8/85 St. Paul, MN

ESPN TV Taping

AWA Champion Rick Martel beat Kamala dq

Buck Zumhofe beat Sgt. Slaughter dq

Baron Von Raschke beat Bill Irwin

Larry Hennig drew Scott Irwin

Larry Clark beat Stan Hansen dq

Jerry Oski & Brad Rheingans drew Wild Bill & Scott Hog Irwin

Curt Hennig & Greg Gagne beat Jim Garvin & Steve Regal dq

Stan Hansen beat Paul Garner

Billy Robinson beat Randy Barber

Was this at the Civic Center? I'm guessing not.

If not, it was in Roy Wilkins Auditorium adjacent to it. The setup for the bouts around the ring make me think it’s NOT the Civic Center, but it could just be an odd configuration to make the TV look fuller. I have seen them do that later on in 1986 and in 1989 for shows for this reason.

9/19/85 Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada @ Arena

Wally Karbo Tribute Card

AWA Champion Rick Martel beat Boris Zhukov dq

Tom Zenk & Curt Hennig beat Bill Irwin & Scott Irwin

Baron Von Raschke beat Buddy Roberts

Buddy Lane beat Steve Regal

Att: 3,600

Below average, but this is above the abysmal number from the Summer. Probably would have been better - but Verne did tv at the high school the night before. At least it wasn't a huge tv like the previous one, but still. Blackwell continues to main event in the majority of shows around the loop.

I believe by this point, Verne had sold his interest in Winnipeg to Lanza and Bockwinkel. The whole story is over on Kayfabe memories somewhere, but Jack Lanza became a big part of why the AWA left Winnipeg after January of 1986…around when Jack went to work for Vince.

9/28/85 Chicago, IL @ Comiskey Park

NWA Champion Ric Flair beat Magnum TA

Fabulous Freebirds Michael Hayes & Terry Gordy beat AWA Tag Team Champions Road Warriors to win title

(Decision quickly reversed by video replay)

Stan Hansen no contest AWA Champion Rick Martel

Kerry Von Erich beat Jimmy Garvin

Ivan Koloff & Nikita Koloff & Khrusher Khrushchev beat Dick The Bruiser & The Crusher & Baron Von Raschke

Sgt Slaughter beat Boris Zhukov dq

Jumbo Tsuruta & Giant Baba & Genichiro Tenyru beat Bill Irwin & Scott Irwin & Harley Race

Bodyslam match

Jerry Blackwell beat Kamala

Mil Mascaras beat Buddy Roberts

Sherri Martel beat Candi Divine to win the AWA Women's title

Steve Regal beat Brad Rheingans

att: 20,347

AWA loads things up and goes balls out. Blackwell v. Kamala is deep is mid-card and feels like an after thought. This is a good number, but you almost feel like it could have been a lot better.

I never got why they only had about 40-50 people around ringside. The rest are all in the bleachers which were not close to the ring at all. Really strange visual for this show.

9/29/85 St. Paul, MN @ Civic Center

Jim Garvin & Steve Regal beat Road Warriors to win AWA tag title

AWA Champion Rick Martel beat Jumbo Tsuruta

Handicap Match

Jerry Blackwell & Little Mr. T beat Fabulous Freebirds Michael Hayes & Buddy Roberts

Shohei Giant Baba & Genichiro Tenyru no contest Stan Hansen & Larry Zbyszko

Scott Hall beat Drew Tossel

Buck Zumhofe beat Rick Renslow

Terrible, but this is a fucking stupid ass line up, almost designed to fail.

Too bad because Martel-Tsuruta is my favourite of all of their matches, and the Garvin-Regal title win deserved to be seen by a lot more people than that.

10/17/85 Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada @ Arena

Mad Dog Vachon & Nick Bockwinkel beat Boris Zhukov & Chris Markoff

Handicap match

Stan Hansen beat Brian Jewell & Ed Wilson

Jim Garvin beat Stan Lane

Scott Hall beat Steve Regal

Sherri Martel beat Candi Devine to win AWA Women's Title

Kelly Kiniski beat Iron Duke

att: 3,528

Winnipeg still below what it should be with a weak line up and tv the day before in town.

The big seller for this card was the teaming of “forever enemies” Bockwinkel and Vachon, to take on the Russians. That match is a fun sprint if you haven’t seen it yet. Looking at the rest of that lineup I’d say that it drew pretty well. Stan Lane is a typo also, it should be Buddy lane, advertised as a local product. He would challenge Regal for the Jr. title there at some point.

12/12/85 Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada @ Arena

$100,000 Battle royal

Road Warriors beat Boris Zhukov & Chris Markoff

Scott Hall beat Jimmy Garvin

Stan Hansen beat Man Mountain Mike

Mongolian Stomper beat Kevin Kelly

Jerry Blackwell vs Kelly Kiniski

The Alaskans I & II vs Bill Irwin & Scott Irwin

Att: 5,928

Battle Royal PLUS they didn't foolishly run tv the day before!

Lol…one more note about the tv: The High School it was held in did not have a big capacity, so maybe you had a hundred people in there watching the matches. Those TVs had zero effect on the big show in Winnipeg.

12/25/85 St. Paul, MN @ Civic Center

AWA Champion Rick Martel beat Stan Hansen dq

Road Warriors no contest AWA Tag Team Champions Jim Garvin & Steve Regal

Mongolian Stomper & Nord The Barbarian & Boris Zhukov beat Scott Hall & Curt Hennig & Jerry Blackwell

Baron Von Raschke beat Scott Irwin dq

Marty Jannetty beat Kelly Kiniski

Cowboy Lang & Little Mr. T beat Little Tokyo & Lord Littlebrook

Sherri Martel beat Debbie Combs

Att: 7000+

Poor number for Christmas night in St. Paul on a very poor line up. I don't think it's a reach to say that if they had found someone of note to feud with Blackwell they could have done business during this period. He really feels like he's being misused. Same with the Roadies.

The number is still better than mostly anything they did in St. paul since April, though. LOD trying to regain their titles against competition so obviously inferior would have drawn some folks out (“how could they lose?” mentality), plus the Hansen-Martel feud was running pretty hot at this point Tv-wise. Nord and Stomper were new Sheiks Army guys so Blackwell is at least in a “get the Sheik” sort of angle here. I’m ok with this number based on the rest of the year.

85 is an interesting year. No doubt Vince was hurting them, but Verne did a shit ton to hurt himself. Business was actually fairly strong up until the Roadies and Blackwell departed and the use of Sarge was scaled back. Summer or not that clearly had a hugely adverse effect on the companies drawing power. Blackwell and the Roadies were clearly misused for big chunks of the year and were probably the biggest draws in the company, with Sarge in third.

The drop from early 1985 to the end of it overall was huge.

The problem with saying the Winnipeg TV had no effect on Winnipeg gates is that Winnipeg had been a hot town, dipped bad for the Summer, then they started doing double duty in the town and the numbers never came back up no matter what they put on the show. Correlation isn't causation, but that is an extremely curious coincidence to me. It could be that the town was just murdered dead over the Summer to the point where things weren't salvageable but if that's the case it still raises the question of why the fuck you would run TV in a dismal town. Apparently the answer is that Verne had sold the town for all intents and purposes. I also find it curious that they just gave up on Brandon.

On the East Coast swings I know that PWUSA started to air, but that really feels like an idiotic decision regardless, ESPECIALLY the decision to start doing split crews. The AWA could still draw in 85 but for the most part they had to load up there cards to pop a gate of note. This isn't going to happen when you've got Sarge working for 400 people in a North Jersey Elks Lodge.

On the Superstar thing I'm sure he was a last second sub for Brody in the Cow Palace, but if you look at the follow up numbers that hardly seemed to be a huge problem. Eadie was subbed in fairly seamlessly for the most part.

If you believe Matisyk, Verne had a piece of St. Louis going back to the 70's. What's notable about that show is that it's the first time I can recall a show that could be seen as an AWA show in the town - and the timing is terrible.

I think if you look at the over all picture in 85 Verne/promoters fucked themselves as much as Vince fucked them.

Verne certainly didn't help himself, no doubt. I think the numbers in Winnipeg did get better after the incredibly poor summer, however:

May

1984: 3628

1985: 1900

June

1984: 2620

1985: 1864

July

1984: NO CARD

1985: 3224

August

1984: 5964

1985: 4208 (w/TV at High School)

September

1984: 4708

1985: 3600

October

1984: 8920

1985: 3528

November

1984: 4376

1985: 6012

December

1984: 3584

1985: 5928

January 1985: 5685 (Arena TV)

January 1986: 6800

It might be reasonable to assume that the lower 85 numbers vs. 84 for most of the year can be partially attributed to a lack of "new" star power. 84 had new face Blackwell, Brody, Bundy, Road Warriors debut and push, and new champ Martel, all very compelling "new" draws for the terroitory. 85 had the Freebirds, Garvin, Slaughter, Superstar and Zurkov as "new" draws..compelling, but not as much in my mind as the 84 newbies, both situationally and as in 'new wrestlers'. The 84 feuds and matchups were also much better, with stories that wrote themselves (Blackwell turns good! Will Bock regain the title from martel right away? Holy shit, look at The Road Warriors!). 85 had the Freebirds vs. The Old Men and Young Kids, Martel defending against Bockwinkel AGAIN, Martel vs. Zurkov (done well, but only really ever done here, probably because they didn't have the confidence in it to run it in other markets), The Roadies running out of real title challenges by year-end, and Slaughter vs. less-than-compelling foreign heels like Tonga and Saito.

Verne brought in talent that should have worked, but how he matched them up in trying to build them wasn't good. Baron, Crusher, Larry Hennig, Buck Zumhofe, and other veterans of the area being used as fodder for the new guys did nothing for their buildup. Reed SHOULD squash Raschke. Even the die-hard AWA fan saw this, and when the old guys did well, even in losing, it didn't make you say "I wonder how a Martel-Reed matchup will go?"

It made you say "The Irwins just got beat by Hennig and Zenk. The Roadies will CRUSH them."

I hope my analogies are making sense.

Add in the WWF product becoming more and more recognizable and viewable by the fans in the area (and the "wer're the best" branding taking hold in the fans minds, something the WWF did better than anyone, period), and I see the slip in attendance being multi-faceted. The numbers were mostly down but honestly the trends were similar to 84, just with smaller numbers.

..and make no mistake, losing Winnipeg after drawing so well in the last three months of their run there had to have really stung the AWA as a whole.

I exaggerated a bit, but look at those dates again.

They do TV in Winnipeg, THEN go to Brandon which had been a hot town they had scaled back from with a big Battle Royal, THEN go back to the Arena for Martel v. Zhukov blowoff. That's November.

The Dec. Show was a battle royal which always drew well for the AWA as you note - it also did not have TV the day before.

There is no TV before the Jan. 86 show either.

The Winnipeg TV taping started running the day before the Arena shows in June which was one month after the disaster of a show in may that had no Sarge, Blackwell or Roadies and as you noted Larry Z foolishly on top. That formula stayed in place UNTIL Nov, when they decided to space things out by a day and add Brandon (which had been a hot town) back into the mix for a Battle Royal with Blackwell. After this they dump Winnipeg tv altogether and the last two shows the promotion runs there do good business - especially by the standards of that time for the AWA.

I'm not saying TV was the ONLY thing that killed the town, because it wasn't even the first strike. But TV the day before certainly didn't spike business, certainly didn't seem like a sound investment, and may very well have had an adverse effect on business. The correlation is clearly there.

My guess? The May show where the stars they did have weren't booked fucked the town. They needed to do something to spike it. TV came on air. Some people chose to go to those tapings, some people watched, no body liked what they saw.

I think the turnaround late in the year is directly correlated to Verne selling to Blackjack and Bockwinkel (however that exactly worked).

I also think people got used to watching the matches on TSN somewhat...there would have been no regional blackout for that show. If you knew that the card was "iffy", and that you could watch it over the course of a month on TSN (save for the odd match which didn't air, but most of them did), you might be likely to take a month or two off going to the shows and instead wait until you saw the talent level/booking rebound when they promoted it locally. TSN started in September of 1984, and the wrestling was a staple show from the start (I remember getting a converter box and a subscription to TSN and Muchmusic as a Christmas gift, lol). Eventually, I think it had an effect on business to a degree.

So factors in the 1985 Winnipeg attendance downturn could possibly be attributed to (a) poor booking of debuting stars and established draws, (b ) All the matches airing on TSN shortly after the cards were held, © TVs being done the day before at times taking away from the big shows gate the next night, and (d) some WWF influx into the market, at least via TV at this point.

For the other areas where attendance suffered a significant downturn, I would place (a) and (d) in the mix as primary factors, (a) being the most prevalent.

It all depends on how much of this content you're going to bring over there to argue in favour of Blackwell as a HOF candidate. There are some informed AWA guys over there but not many, so posting information for discussion might be better as opposed to asking for opinions first, and then posting discussion information.

Guys whose opinions you will want to seek out over there include Clawmaster, Tamalie, and Chitown Rich if he still posts there. There may be a few others but most of what I reaad on the AWA there is in the "boy they sucked, Verne was stoopid" range of opinion. Perhaps that's different in the WON HOF Forums as opposed to the regular board but I don't know.

Alternately I may drag this stuff over to a private AWA forum I frequent, to get opinions and additional information. Anything I gather there I'll bring over here, of course.

Still fascinated with the discussion over wrestlers who were never on the ballot, I did some research on those that received less than 10% of the vote & fell off the ballot over the years. If I interpreted it right I think the original rule was that once you fell off the ballot, you could go back on in 2 years. I think the criteria for that was either a continuing career that would make someone a stronger candidate or historical candidates that had more info uncovered on them and/or someone making a good case for them & promising to vote for them.

1998 (first year of voting): Fuerza Guerrera, Scott Hall, Curt Hennig, Mark Lewin, Lex Luger, Don Muraco, Kevin Nash, Paul Orndorff, Blue Panther, Ken Patera, Jake Roberts, Rick Rude, Hans Schmidt, Davey Boy Smith, Steiner Bros., Sting, Akira Taue, Barry Windham

1999: Curtis Iaukea, Bill Miller, Masa Saito, Tiger Jeet Singh, Sgt. Slaughter, Kerry Von Erich, Doc Death

2000: Lou Albano, Masa Chono, Masakatsu Funaki, Chavo Guerrero, Konnan, Bas Rutten, Sabu, Ken Shamrock

2001: Eric Bischoff, Cien Caras

2002: Andersons, Pedro Morales

2003: Yuji Nagata, Fuerza Guerrera, Yoshihiro Takayama

2004: Atlantis, Pepper Gomez, Gordman & Goliath, Gran Hamada, La Parka, Great Sasuke, Ben & Mike Sharpe, Dr. Wagner Jr.

2005: Lonnie Mayne, Don Muraco, Takayama

2006: Arn Anderson, Booker T, Davey Boy Smith

I stopped here due to not having later years on paper and figuring this proves that most if not all of the names we have been debating were obviously never on.

Some interesting things here in that Saito, Konnan, and Bill Miller fell off the ballot & eventually got in. So there were obviously some people championing Miller, Hans Schmidt, and maybe others to get them back on. I'm guessing Jake Roberts fell off & never went back on due to his career being pretty much over at the point he fell off. But you could probably say the same for Slaughter and now he's seen as one of the stronger candidates. I also found it interesting on the above list as compared to Dylan's research that I would assume guys like Lonnie Mayne and Gordman & Goliath were Meltzer favorites due to where he grew up & their #s & longevity couldn't hold a candle to Blackwell, Dundee, High Flyers, etc.

I think we have really uncovered some interesting stuff here as I would be curious to hear the original criteria for who was considered to go on & who not. I think we agreed last week that the main problems were probably when the original ballot was formulated & the difficulty in getting people added since to correct oversights. One other thing I noticed in research is just how much the balloting pool has grown over the years. The first year a guy could get in with 13-15 people voting for them. Last year it took 109 American votes for a guy in that region to get in. So obviously Meltzer isn't averse to adding voters, I guess you could just argue about how he finds them.

Some interesting things here in that Saito, Konnan, and Bill Miller fell off the ballot & eventually got in. So there were obviously some people championing Miller, Hans Schmidt, and maybe others to get them back on.

Miller and Schmidt have been championed by a number of historians. I can say with some confidence that if we knew then what we know now, they would have gone in the 1996 Class.

Konnan was always going to get back on the ballot. Was on it while semi-active. "Big Star", which means Dave will always toss him back into the mix if he fell below 10%.

Saito... probably a push from Japan, or Dave fondly remembering him. There haven't been a lot of fresh, quality Japanese candidates, and Dave does like to keep things from being too stale.

I'm guessing Jake Roberts fell off & never went back on due to his career being pretty much over at the point he fell off. But you could probably say the same for Slaughter and now he's seen as one of the stronger candidates.

Sarge headline in New York/Philly/Boston against a World Champ, and has that fondly remember headlining feud opposite Steamboat & Youngblood. He has some "Big Star" cha-ching that would play to Dave.

Jake... just doesn't. For all we fondly remember him in the WWF, in the pecking order he was a way down from the top. He doesn't even have that Orndorff vs Hogan run, which in Paul's case ignores that they had an earlier first run. Jake probably to Dave is a "big name", but he had problems putting anything tangible on it.

That said, I doubt it would be hard to get Jake back on the ballot. When he drops dead, you'll see Jake back on. Obits tend to do that.

I also found it interesting on the above list as compared to Dylan's research that I would assume guys like Lonnie Mayne and Gordman & Goliath were Meltzer favorites due to where he grew up & their #s & longevity couldn't hold a candle to Blackwell, Dundee, High Flyers, etc.

Possibly. But Mayne and Gordman & Goliath have obits that give them some attention. They're also in a different era grouping where fans look to vote for them.

I think we have really uncovered some interesting stuff here as I would be curious to hear the original criteria for who was considered to go on & who not.

*points to picture in Gong 500*

"Yes?"

"Yes."

I think we agreed last week that the main problems were probably when the original ballot was formulated & the difficulty in getting people added since to correct oversights.

There wasn't an original ballot.

One other thing I noticed in research is just how much the balloting pool has grown over the years. The first year a guy could get in with 13-15 people voting for them. Last year it took 109 American votes for a guy in that region to get in. So obviously Meltzer isn't averse to adding voters, I guess you could just argue about how he finds them.

We've talked about this item for years. Nothing new.

John