Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Network finally happening

flyonthewall2983

The thing about 'smart TV's is if you have a liberal definition of it (ie. it can connect to the Internet and has apps), most new TV's made in the last couple of years are smart TV's. For example, I bought a cheap $250 Vizio a year or so back and it has Netflix on it. I've never used it because I have 12 other devices that has access to Netflix, but it's there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay I am kind of stupid about watching the internet on TV but do you think buying one of those "smart" blu ray players will give us the ability to watch the new Network and maybe even the UFC Fightpass as well.

UFC Fight Pass is hugely rushed, so who knows? It's replacing UFC.TV, but isn't even available on Roku yet when UFC.TV was. Eventually, I'd think/hope so, but the early priorities are probably XBox 360, Playstation 3, Roku, AppleTV, and Chromecast. Maybe TiVo, too.

WWE is going to be launching with a decent amount of hardware support, most likely. How far it extends is something we won't know until the announcement, most likely.

Just scanning through some old SEC documents, I noticed an interesting reference in the 3/15/13 Schedule 14A filing:

In respect of 2011, the incentive plan as structured failed in practice to recognize the extraordinary efforts put forth by certain executives toward certain strategic initiatives including the potential creation of a WWE network. As a result, the Compensation Committee approved the payment of bonuses for 2011 to a highly selective group of senior employees which group did not include the Chairman and Chief Executive Officer. The aggregate amount of such payments to all executives, including the named executive officers and others, equalled $737,665.

Just underscores that they believed they were going to launch something in 2012, but ultimately despite everything, couldn't get it going.

I decided to check out the UFC Fight Pass and it would be so awesome if WWE would let you choose different camera angles when watching stuff on the WWE Network. I doubt they would ever do it because they have a lot more reasons not to than UFC but it would still be pretty cool to choose to watch a match from just the hard cam or something like that.

I decided to check out the UFC Fight Pass and it would be so awesome if WWE would let you choose different camera angles when watching stuff on the WWE Network. I doubt they would ever do it because they have a lot more reasons not to than UFC but it would still be pretty cool to choose to watch a match from just the hard cam or something like that.

Cool idea, but in a worked sport, I don't think they'd want to risk you get the angle where it's Harper yelling "bodyslam, elbow drop" to Rowan on the apron.

Today, Bryan Alvarez said that he talked to someone in WWE who has done work for the Network who said they're skeptical next week's Las Vegas announcement will be the launch date of the Network. (Source: http://www.f4wonline.com/component/content...weets-and-more)

I guess it's possible the announcement isn't related to the Network, but what else could it be? Vince will be there, so it has to be important, and besides him resigning as chairman and CEO, I can't think of any other reason why he would show up.

I haven't listened to the Bryan & Todd show as of yet but I can't think of any scenario where this isn't about the network. I guess in theory they could wait a week or two to announce the actual launch date, but that would be dumb.

It's at CES and obviously that's for a reason, Vince is there, they sent out those nice formal media invitations...what the hell else could it be?

As for Benoit I'm going to guess that's for convenience in terms of requiring less editing work more than anything else.

The Benoit is such a sad situation (rather obviously).

Wonder what type of disclaimer/advisory they will have and the strength of it. Kind of a buzzkill for it to flash up every single time you want to watch some Wrestling from 1995-2007 no matter what your personal stance is on watching him.

The Benoit is such a sad situation (rather obviously).

Wonder what type of disclaimer/advisory they will have and the strength of it. Kind of a buzzkill for it to flash up every single time you want to watch some Wrestling from 1995-2007 no matter what your personal stance is on watching him.

I think a lot of people are desensitized from it now, I try and keep Benoit the wrestler separate from Benoit the murder if possible. It's got easier as they years have gone by.

Wonder what type of disclaimer/advisory they will have and the strength of it.

This was suggested at http://officialfan.proboards.com/thread/48...-benoit-network :

"This program contains archival footage of Chris Benoit. By showing this footage, WWE does not endorse Mr. Benoit's actions as it relates to the circumstances behind his death on June 23rd, 2007, we are simply presenting this footage for the sake of completion. However, certain lines of commentary and footage that may be perceived as promoting Mr. Benoit or glorifying his life have been altered to ensure responsibility on our part. WWE would also like to ask that parents show discretion in regards to this program, and encourage you to call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE for further information about domestic violence. We thank you for your understanding"

"… and now, for something completely different, we'll show you a compilation of Hall of Famer Jimmy Snuka's matches, because Jimmy Snuka never did anything wrong, ever."

Yeah. I wonder if they should put the National Domestic Violence Hotline number when they'll show Austin & Debra together circa early 00's.

What's the point? To me running the advisory brings attention to the murders. Just run the footage and assume the fans are smart enough to know the context behind it. Obviously they won't run a Benoit Appreciation Day marathon or anything so there's no reason to assume the WWE is attempting to celebrate the murderer by airing a match or two whenever appropriate.

"… and now, for something completely different, we'll show you a compilation of Hall of Famer Jimmy Snuka's matches, because Jimmy Snuka never did anything wrong, ever."

Yeah. I wonder if they should put the National Domestic Violence Hotline number when they'll show Austin & Debra together circa early 00's.

It's just really stupid and I think people need to separate wrestling from reality. If WWE treated every wrestler's matches the way they've treated Benoit's, there would be no one left to show.

It really is a lose-lose. I don't think they'll have too much of a problem if they run shows where Benoit is involved and its streamed as such, much like if an old Bills game is on NFL network and OJ Simpson happens to be at running back. But I'd be shocked if they aired the WM20 main event, the 2004 Rumble or anything similar that puts a shining light on Benoit. What good reason is there to invite that kind of scrutiny?

This frustrates me on WWE's behalf. There is no way they can handle this that people don't criticize. This thread is proof of that.

Do you really not see the problem? Are there really going to be critics if the WWE just put up the matches and ran them as if it's business as usual? El-P made a good point. They have other unsavory characters they will most likely show footage of. Should they bring attention to each and every one of their misdeed, grave or minor?

It really is a lose-lose. I don't think they'll have too much of a problem if they run shows where Benoit is involved and its streamed as such, much like if an old Bills game is on NFL network and OJ Simpson happens to be at running back. But I'd be shocked if they aired the WM20 main event, the 2004 Rumble or anything similar that puts a shining light on Benoit. What good reason is there to invite that kind of scrutiny?

Wrestlemania 20 is a milestone event, the 2004 Rumble had matches like Triple H/Shawn Michaels that might be featured. Again, as long as they show the events in full with an objective focus on the overall picture OR focusing on the Triple H/Shawn Michaels rivalry or whatever, and not running a Benoit focused marathon, they should be fine. Anyone scrutinizing them needs to get a life.

In some ways they made their own bed on it though.

How?

This frustrates me on WWE's behalf. There is no way they can handle this that people don't criticize. This thread is proof of that.

The best way to handle it is to do nothing at all. WWE created their own problem here. I could seriously come up with warnings for everyone.

There are lots of bad people in wrestling, but Benoit is the only one who murdered his son.

Do you really not see the problem? Are there really going to be critics if the WWE just put up the matches and ran them as if it's business as usual? El-P made a good point. They have other unsavory characters they will most likely show footage of. Should they bring attention to each and every one of their misdeed, grave or minor?

Yes, there are going to be critics if they go about business as usual. "I guess they don't care anymore", "Look at them profiting from a murderer", etc. Benoit's offenses are far worse than anyone else's in wrestling. Comparing murdering your son to the other scummy things people in wrestling have done is downplaying the severity of what he did.

WWE has worked hard to clean up their image post-Benoit (to mixed results). Benoit is a babyface for a large part of his WWE run. They need to make clear when airing Benoit footage that they aren't celebrating or glorifying him, and that any compliments of his character that were part of worked storyline aren't a reflection of how the company feels about him. The issue is bigger than short-sighted wrestling fans who just want to see shows in full.