Pro Wrestling Only

What are you watching?

Tim Cooke

PWG Thirteen. Working on catching up on all the shows from this year. The run from DDT4 2015 through 2016 has been epic. I marked out like a kid watching Sabre's title win. TNA superstar Trevor Lee has been a fucking blast. Chuck Taylor's winning streak. Thatcher getting over in Reseda. Jeff Cobb debuting. Also, a much greater appreciatiation for Chris Hero than I had previously, especially with his 2015 run through BOLA. Roderick F Strong. I know the promotion isn't the most highly thought of on this board, but I just adore it.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished catching up on PWG this evening. I definitely didn't like BOLA this year as much as 2015. Just don't care for guys like Scurll/Ospreay as much as I do Zack Sabre at this point. They also didn't have as great of a story going on as they had during 2015, post-BOLA. Strong was so incredible during that stretch that he made the shows great just on his own.

I have started Progress now, with Chapter 1. It's very rough, production-wise but I am planning on watching the growth of the promotion through each show since I have seen and heard a lot of folks speak highly of it.

I was browsing youtube last night and came across a fan made documentary on Bruiser Brody. Now when they got to the Manny Fernandez part they showed footage of him doing a top rope knee drop on this masked guy and the guy was just spitting blood out of his mouth like crazy. So thought id google it and seems the masked guy was Invader #3. Wrestlingclassicboard fans debated on whether this was legit or a work as the ref did nothing.

Id not seen it before as I dont even remember it on the WWC Superset so no idea if this was new footage or something.

I was browsing youtube last night and came across a fan made documentary on Bruiser Brody. Now when they got to the Manny Fernandez part they showed footage of him doing a top rope knee drop on this masked guy and the guy was just spitting blood out of his mouth like crazy. So thought id google it and seems the masked guy was Invader #3. Wrestlingclassicboard fans debated on whether this was legit or a work as the ref did nothing.

Id not seen it before as I dont even remember it on the WWC Superset so no idea if this was new footage or something.

It's not new. I saw it on youtube a long time ago. There was a video of that incident that got uploaded on youtube way back in 2006 that still shows up when doing a Bing video search (although it seems to have been removed from youtube now) It was definitely a work. I remember reading somewhere that to pull it off Invader 3 drank a bunch of pig's blood before the match so it'd look good when he did the "internal injury" blood spitting deal.

Gif of incident is in the spoiler (it's pretty gross)

QktXEVt.gif

It's not new. I saw it on youtube a long time ago. There was a video of that incident that got uploaded on youtube way back in 2006 that still shows up when doing a Bing video search (although it seems to have been removed from youtube now) It was definitely a work. I remember reading somewhere that to pull it off Invader 3 drank a bunch of pig's blood before the match so it'd look good when he did the "internal injury" blood spitting deal.

Gif of incident is in the spoiler (it's pretty gross)

QktXEVt.gif

I had always heard it was a shoot... That Fernandez threw all his weight into Invader and broke his sternum and punctured his lung. The gif makes it look more like a work though.

It's definitely a work. If it was a shoot why would it have gotten played on TV, much less released on a WWC home video with English commentary? Why wouldn't the ref do more to stop Manny once Invader 3 starting spewing blood all over the place?

I've been on a Cedric Alexander jag. It's almost as though there are two different guys. The chubbier one was good, sure, but there was something always kind of missing.

The ripped Cedric Alexander, on the other hand, is exactly what you want. Everything now sounds like it's crisper. He moves with a speed that doesn't seem forced. You know how some guys try to carry off being explosive and it's obvious they're playing a role? It doesn't feel that way with Cedric. He really does seem like he's that fast.

The stuff I've been watching is his war with Trevor Lee, the Ultra-J match with Chet Sterling, and the Kota Ibushi one. Those are 3 different matches where he is playing 3 different characters, and it all works.

WCCW presents a big card from the Cotton Bowl which sees Kevin Von Erich clash with Chris Adams, Mixed tag team shenanigans as trucker Stella Mae French teams with Mike Von Erich to engage in battle with Nicola Roberts and Gino Hernandez, Kerry Von Erich teams with Mike to face off with the Dynamic Duo and Jake the Snake, plus the Missing Link, the Fantastics, Butch Reed and other top stars of the era appear. The fans are HOT and the show features some unique showmanship as well as a dramatically executed kayfabe injury angle!

Just watched the JCP Syndicated shows from the weekend of Feb 22 1986

Risky Business Boys vs Flair/Arn is one of the best TV Sprints I've ever seen

Nikita is refusing to wrestle until he gets Magnum on TV for the US Title

Teijo Khan has just joined Paul Jones Army

Jimmy Garvin debuts on Worldwide and MACW with 2 interviews in ring with Tony that are pretty much identical except for his outfit

The Big Gold Belt Debuts with the "Rick Flair" Nameplate on it

Dusty gives the RNR Express his "Betty Lou" Cage to put Jim Cornette into

After a short feud with Tully we restart the Jimmy Valiant/Paul Jones feud which I love so much

Poor Sam Houston has the Mid Atlantic Title but is still in the exact same spot he was 6 months ago

the 30 second squashes are starting to become more frequent, before it was just a Magnum deal

Ha, I've started to make a run through the ECW myself. 4 episodes in, and still not a hint of a decent match, but it's still curiously entertaining

You might be waiting for awhile. They really don't have any good matches on a consistent basis until 95 IMO. Obviously that's subjective. At least it should be a fun project.

I've been watching bits and pieces from the Network, mostly revisiting some old favourites in the hope that they're as good as I remember them. I haven't been disappointed so far.

The last match I watched was Dustin Rhodes vs. Bunkhouse Buck from Spring Stampede 94. Fantastic brawl and a match I haven't really heard talked about a lot.

The WWF presents another rather horrible series of matches with Brutus Beefcake, Mr. Fuji, Big John Studd, David Sammartino and Moondog Spot all taking part in dreadfully dull singles matches. The tag team scene carries the day as Andre the Giant teams with Sgt Slaughter to clash with the foreign fanatics consisting of the Iron Sheik and Nikolai Volkoff. The WWF tag champs Adonis and Murdoch put on a show to carry Afa and Sika to a fun outing and the Brisco Brothers make a rare WWF appearance in a squash match.

Looked around and was surprised not to see this mentioned anywhere. Really good, super-technical duelling body part work match. Has to be pretty close to the worst possible kind of match to put in front of a 2007 Budokan crowd, who, predictably, couldn't give less of a shit.

• 2 weeks later...

The Tempura Boyz (Sho Tanaka & Yohei Komatsu) vs. War Machine (Ray Rowe & Hanson) - ROH Road to Final Battle 10/21/16

Little house show action from the War Memorial Auditorium in sunny Fort Lauderdale. Tempura gets the party started with some big dives out to the floor. Shortly after Sho and Yohei get thrown like darts directly into each other. That’s a bar game worth workshopping. Sho is the beefier of the two which certainly doesn’t hurt when going toe-to-toe with War Machine. Komatsu could be the next Milano Collection A.T. I didn’t know Rowe was a member of CM Punk’s S.E.S. but the three X’s on the back of his trunks tells another tale. Hanson does a series of about a dozen charging clotheslines in the corners to a big crowd pop and I liked Tanaka’s whipping of his hair for a more visually arresting sell. When Syxx did a Bronco Buster it was noxious not painful-looking but when Hanson jumps dong-first at an opponent it’s a scary scenario. I’ve seen about ten Tempura Boyz matches so far inc. TV and VOD fare and a sampling of their Mexico run but this is the best match of theirs I’ve came across so far and a lot of that is due to War Machine (both for their boss offense but also for letting the Boyz dish out some their own).

Was in the mood for some old WWWF stuff. Cherry picked some matches on YouTube.

Watched Backlund vs Patera in the Texas Death Match from 1980 in MSG. This is one of those matches I haven't seen in a really long time. Video quality was way better than my last watch in it which helped the viewing experience. Really solid overall with double juice which I'm a sucker for. Wish Backlund would of showed a little more vulnerability. After a big heat segment he kicked out at 1. Liked how Patera still wanted to continue after the match with some great stare downs like 2 big heavyweight boxers. Good stuff here.

Then I watched Backlund vs Graham in a Stretcher match in Philly from 78. Bob was already champ here. Pretty fun and I enjoyed it. The refs attempting to put either guy on the stretcher was amusing as the guys looked like they were getting dumped out by the refs. Finish was somewhat confusing as Graham kind of fell out once the refs hit the floor with him on it and landed on his feet. I presume this was done to keep Graham still looking strong for future matches.

Next up was Graham was champ vs Bruno in a cage from Philly in early 78. Graham took some amazing bumps into the cage which made Bruno look awesome. Crowd was insane for this match and definitely behind Bruno. Finish was clever with Bruno getting a running start and kicking Graham while he was down right out of the cage enabling Graham to win and retain the title. I was wondering how they were gonna finish this match as I didn't see Bruno losing in a cage straight up and this was a good way to do it. Fun match overall.

Lastly it was Graham vs Backlund in a cage from 78. Bob is champ here. Match is clipped unfortunately. Not much of a match with Backlund escaping with Graham trying to hang onto his foot. This was pretty early on in Bob's reign, so they were still establishing him as champ. Cage matches from this era of WWWF are hit or miss due to them being one sided a lot of times and this one would be in the miss category for me.