Pro Wrestling Only

Giving modern WWE a chance

Loss

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's old and has lost his touch. He also stopped doing things for business at a certain point and started using TV to bury people for kicks and work out his own psychological issues. Sadly, even with all his baggage, he is still way better than any of the people surrounding him.

There are things I don't get though.

Why the lurch towards being so much more corporate?

Why the stifling scripting?

Why the blandness?

Is this all coming from Vince? He was still fully involved personally in the late 90s, is he still? I mean he's known for being very hands on, but there's very little of his personality in today's product.

He's old and has lost his touch. He also stopped doing things for business at a certain point and started using TV to bury people for kicks and work out his own psychological issues. Sadly, even with all his baggage, he is still way better than any of the people surrounding him.

He did buy his competition.

His focus now is on earning as much respectability and as many mainstream accolades as possible for his company, moreso than creating the most profitable wrestling company he can (though if they were losing money that might change). Those "Be a STAR" promos probably mean a lot more to him that getting a 3.8 rating for Raw.

There are things I don't get though.

Why the stifling scripting?

Why the blandness?

Is this all coming from Vince? He was still fully involved personally in the late 90s, is he still? I mean he's known for being very hands on, but there's very little of his personality in today's product.

From what i've heard a lot of ppl say you can blame a lot of the change on Steph getting made head of creative in the early 2000's

Again, with Punk and Danielson as the champs, how rigid can they be about body types?

I do agree that the over-scripted feel of the show is a problem. I think it goes back to Vince being a control freak. The Attitude era was unique in that way for him, because he's always been a perfectionist. The old SNME shows were way scripted and produced.

One thing that really bothers me about modern WWE is how everybody wears their merchandise at all times. I know why they do it, but it makes most of the guys look like clowns. Zack Ryder looks absolutely ridiculous for example.

Did this start with Austin, Rock and DX? It seemed like that was the time where anybody who had a shirt had to start wearing it to the ring and I don't remember it being so pervasive before that.

One thing that really bothers me about modern WWE is how everybody wears their merchandise at all times. I know why they do it, but it makes most of the guys look like clowns. Zack Ryder looks absolutely ridiculous for example.

Did this start with Austin, Rock and DX? It seemed like that was the time where anybody who had a shirt had to start wearing it to the ring and I don't remember it being so pervasive before that.

Well with Zach, it's part of his gimmick. I don't like it when Del Rio wears his T Shirt, though. It'd make more sense if he made Ricardo hold it up or wear it over his tux.

Apparently Stephy has her own idea of what a wrestler should look like. Didn't she get rid of Ariel because she doesn't look like your stereotypical diva ?

Yeah I remember hearing that. On a similar note, don't remember which but on one of the billion podcast ex WWE writers have done one guy mentioned that it got pitched to bring in Daffney once as well and Vince was perplexed that anyone could find her attractive at all.

I liked the work better in Christian/Orton, but I thought it needed another four minutes or so to be a truly great match. It seemed like they were just getting into the stretch run when the match ended but that may have been a result of the finish being clean. Cena/Punk was more of a main event spectacle, had the hot hometown crowd and all the BS with Vince was well laid out, but there were some weak periods because they were going long-ish. Modern WWE is really heavy on counters and the longer the go the more of those type of spots they do, but compared to a lot of WWE stuff I've watched both these matches felt less telegraphed.

I only saw the one Christian/Orton match, but the counters seemed to happen faster and smoother than I expected. The last Orton match I watched before this one was his 2006 match against Mysterio Jr. that was really spot sequence heavy. Another thing that struck me was the commentating. It was far from great, but an improvement over Cole trying to put over how emotional everything was.