Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a wrestling books thread (like the one we have for shoots)? I haven't read a wrestling book in years, probably since I read the Bret Hart book 3 or 4 years ago and I'm looking to read one but not sure which ones are good. It's hard to go by Amazon reviews as even books I have hated have many five star ratings by fans that will love anything they read as long as it's wrestling related.

If not, what else can people here recommend? It must be available to buy on ebook format. So far only Snowden's book on shooters is on my list.

Is there a wrestling books thread (like the one we have for shoots)? I haven't read a wrestling book in years, probably since I read the Bret Hart book 3 or 4 years ago and I'm looking to read one but not sure which ones are good. It's hard to go by Amazon reviews as even books I have hated have many five star ratings by fans that will love anything they read as long as it's wrestling related.

If not, what else can people here recommend? It must be available to buy on ebook format. So far only Snowden's book on shooters is on my list.

Mad Dogs, Midgets and Screw Jobs. Not formatted perfectly in that sometimes text overlaps pictures. Otherwise I found it a fantastically worthwhile read.

Mad Dogs, Midgets and Screw Jobs. Not formatted perfectly in that sometimes text overlaps pictures. Otherwise I found it a fantastically worthwhile read.

If you can buy a hard copy, you can probably get a free e-book to go with it. They had that deal on when the book came out and it might still be available.

WWE and NFL meeting in hopes to develop partnership that would make wrestlers out of football players.

http://nesn.com/2013/05/wwe-nfl-meeting-in...otball-players/

I don't see why the NFL would want this to be public. Given all the negative publicity about the NFL concussions (not to mention substance abuse, HGH and suicides), is it really in the NFL's best interest to encourage former players to get into wrestling?

I know today's wrestling world is much different that it was in the old days, but if an enterprising journalist or two would take a few minutes and look into wrestling's past history with head injuries and ex-employees dying young, it might not turn out well for the NFL.

WWE and NFL meeting in hopes to develop partnership that would make wrestlers out of football players.

http://nesn.com/2013/05/wwe-nfl-meeting-in...otball-players/

I don't see why the NFL would want this to be public. Given all the negative publicity about the NFL concussions (not to mention substance abuse, HGH and suicides), is it really in the NFL's best interest to encourage former players to get into wrestling?

I know today's wrestling world is much different that it was in the old days, but if an enterprising journalist or two would take a few minutes and look into wrestling's past history with head injuries and ex-employees dying young, it might not turn out well for the NFL.

WWE's focus on a legitimate athletic background seems misplaced, considering that they don't really present their product as something serious, or something where the athleticism is played up all that much. It's not the worst idea in the world, but it would resonate a lot more if wrestling was still presented as a fake sport.

Even if the athleticism isn't played up, it still doesn't hurt for wrestlers to have athletic skills.

I honestly think it's a great idea. First off, wrestling has a long history of former pro football players becoming stars. Dick the Bruiser, Ernie Ladd and Wahoo McDaniel were all former NFL players. Second, I think you're probably going to have a higher success rate with former pro athletes who have already shown they can maintain the discipline needed to perform at a high level. (I'm making a dangerous assumption, but I'm assuming indy wrestling schools attract a high number of flakes.) I also presume they're getting a very good vibe right now from the success of Joe Anoai (Roman Reigns).

It's a great idea, but the potential to box themselves in is there if they look at it is as their only recruiting method. Some college dropouts, along with some people with no athletic background to speak of, have done quite well for themselves in wrestling.

I've always thought one of the biggest plusses of football players becoming wrestlers is the credibility factor that can be played up on commentary. I would be surprised if WWE even uses that to their advantage in most cases if this becomes a real thing.

Still, it's difficult to find future stars when there's nowhere for people to work and get experience, so I give them credit for thinking outside the box.

WWE's focus on a legitimate athletic background seems misplaced, considering that they don't really present their product as something serious, or something where the athleticism is played up all that much. It's not the worst idea in the world, but it would resonate a lot more if wrestling was still presented as a fake sport.

Except wrestling is still run by insecure carnies. Don't forget the lessons of Kurt Angle: a guy with legit athletic credentials can survive and thrive well past his sell-by date if his presence reassures insecure carnies about their own authenticity.

This isn't about Ross meeting with the NFL about funneling players into the WWE. The story (as reported) is that Ross is meeting with the NFLPA about funneling members into the WWE. That seems completely insane.

Does anyone believe that the WWE is interested in recruiting future wrestlers by working through a union who are as knowledgeable about collective contract bargaining and advocating for its members as the NFLPA?

The WWE may want to do something with football players but negotiating contracts through a union doesn't seem like one of them.

I think the importance of Kurt Angle's athletic credentials is overblown. If he had the exact same amateur background and wrestled like, I don't know, Giant Baba, he wouldn't have become nearly as big a star.

Or Dick Hutton

Not sure how you reach the conclusion that WWE would be negotiating contracts through the NFLPA.

This is how I see the meeting going:

JR: We'd like to explore the possibilities of recruiting ex-NFL players to become professional wrestlers.

NFLPA mid-level guy: Cool. Do you have a card? We'll send a few guys your way if they're interested.

JR: Sure. Here you go.

NFLPA mid-level guy: (puts card in his wallet along with 100 other business cards). So tell me, is wrestling real or fake? Do they actually hit each other with chairs? Is that fake blood?

---------------------------

I imagine Ross got a giant erection when an actual representative from the NFLPA accepted his meeting. I'm sure he felt the need to blow it up like the second-coming of Christ.

Oh, and how knowledgeable is the NFLPA about collective bargaining? The NFL rakes in billions -- way more than any other sport in America -- but it's the only league without fully guaranteed contracts for players. If the WWE ever did want to negotiate through a union, the NFLPA would be a good one to go try and take advantage of.

Yeah, I rather doubt that Vince is all that intimidated by the prospect of the NFLPA causing trouble. Of the major player's unions, it has by far the worst track record in negotiations and the lowest levels of player solidarity. If wrestlers ever formed a union, it'd probably look a lot like the NFLPA.

I think the importance of Kurt Angle's athletic credentials is overblown. If he had the exact same amateur background and wrestled like, I don't know, Giant Baba, he wouldn't have become nearly as big a star.

I think you're confused. Loss said...

I said...

Except wrestling is still run by insecure carnies. Don't forget the lessons of Kurt Angle: a guy with legit athletic credentials can survive and thrive well past his sell-by date if his presence reassures insecure carnies about their own authenticity.

No one is making the claim that athletic credentials alone lead to stardom. Loss claims the opposite, and I agree with him. I'm saying there are other reasons guys with legit athletic background appeal to wrestling promoters.

I think you're confused. Loss said...

I said...

No one is making the claim that athletic credentials alone lead to stardom. Loss claims the opposite, and I agree with him. I'm saying there are other reasons guys with legit athletic background appeal to wrestling promoters.

You're extrapolating an argument I'm not making from my post. I never accused anyone of saying that athletic credentials alone lead to stardom. You said that Angle has been pushed and treated like a star because promoters are insecure and seek the validation his presence provides. I'm saying that his athletic background is a miniscule factor at best. It probably helped him get his foot in the door, but it's not the reason he's been a main eventer for over a decade.