Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally random but its killing me. Who used to perform the top rope leg drop where the guy would pull his ankle to his calf in mid air before hitting the leg drop

Kenny from the Spirit Squad

Ahh yes. Thanks

Wasn't it called the flying squirrel?

I thought Doane had main event potential when he was down in OVW. Very green, but super athletic with a great look and a douchey heel charisma. Seems like a combination of things went wrong for him, with attitude being the biggest issue by most accounts. I can't even really blame Spirit Squad because Ziggler managed to overcome that stigma and reinvent himself, though I'm sure that didn't help. He might have been hurt more by being brought back to the roster so quickly and them doing nothing with him than anything. Other than the brief time as Kerwin White's caddy, Ziggler was basically off TV for two years before coming back as Ziggler.

I just watched a Goldberg vs Jerry Flynn match on YouTube where Mike Tenay said Flynn was skilled in both pro wrestling and shootfighting. Think about saying that on a wrestling show for a second. How did this geek ever get a gig as an announcer?

I'm not 100%, but I think "shoot" in "shootfighting" and its prowres slang derivation derive from the actual wrestling terminology of "shoot" as going in for a tackle. Hence "shootfighting" = strike-based combat sport with grappling elements, various MMA-exclusive teams and groups that incorporate "shoot" into their name, etc. I may be missing your point here but I don't think Tenay's necessarily exposing the biz.

Very strange question. Is anyone familiar with the Indy wrestler Tj Lightning from the early 90s? Somehow came across his stuff in a YouTube worm hole session and he seems like a pretty competent wrestler, yet I can’t say that I was familiar with him until now. His YouTube stuff seems to be mainly from Minnesota.

Totally random but its killing me. Who used to perform the top rope leg drop where the guy would pull his ankle to his calf in mid air before hitting the leg drop

Kenny from the Spirit Squad

Ahh yes. Thanks

Wasn't it called the flying squirrel?

Nah, that was a move from slamball.

I just watched a Goldberg vs Jerry Flynn match on YouTube where Mike Tenay said Flynn was skilled in both pro wrestling and shootfighting. Think about saying that on a wrestling show for a second. How did this geek ever get a gig as an announcer?

I'm not 100%, but I think "shoot" in "shootfighting" and its prowres slang derivation derive from the actual wrestling terminology of "shoot" as going in for a tackle. Hence "shootfighting" = strike-based combat sport with grappling elements, various MMA-exclusive teams and groups that incorporate "shoot" into their name, etc. I may be missing your point here but I don't think Tenay's necessarily exposing the biz.

Agreed, like the term "shooter". Dr Mike Tenay is awesome anyway.

I'm finally getting around to the AWA set lately. With DVDVR being down and all, I don't have a place to dump my thoughts on stuff I'm seeing.

Anyway, Stan Hansen attacking Larry Nelson on his way to the ring at Wrestlerock might be the best thing I've seen on the set so far.

Very strange question. Is anyone familiar with the Indy wrestler Tj Lightning from the early 90s? Somehow came across his stuff in a YouTube worm hole session and he seems like a pretty competent wrestler, yet I can’t say that I was familiar with him until now. His YouTube stuff seems to be mainly from Minnesota.

Oddly enough the two matches that jumped off the Observer results pages were also on his DailyMotion playlist: http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/x2fyu5.../1#video=xy4o7y

1/24/93 Menasha, WI (Nu-Age - 200): The Cobra b Tommy Gunn, Texas Hangman Bull b Dr. Fitness, Brett Striker b Conan the Dark Rider, Private Moondog b T.J. Lightning-DQ, Man vs. woman: Cobra d Stephanie Starr, Tony the Annihilator b Texas Hangman Killer-DQ

2/13/93 St. Paul, MN (NCWA): Bob Mason b Todd Allen, J.B. Trask won Battle Royal, The Jukester b Rowdy Yates, Doug Whalen b Shotgun Yates-DQ, Horace the Psychopath d Brett Striker, Mike Mayhem b Hollywood Hitman-DQ, Jerry Lynn b Trask, Mr. Dynamic & Scotty Z b T.J. Lightning & Masked Professor

5552801[/url]']

I'm finally getting around to the AWA set lately. With DVDVR being down and all, I don't have a place to dump my thoughts on stuff I'm seeing.

Anyway, Stan Hansen attacking Larry Nelson on his way to the ring at Wrestlerock might be the best thing I've seen on the set so far.

Talked to Rippa and he is going to try and transfer the 80s section so we'll see if it will be back soon. If not, I'll create another 80s section and we'll press forward.

Oddly enough the two matches that jumped off the Observer results pages were also on his DailyMotion playlist: http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/x2fyu5.../1#video=xy4o7y

1/24/93 Menasha, WI (Nu-Age - 200): The Cobra b Tommy Gunn, Texas Hangman Bull b Dr. Fitness, Brett Striker b Conan the Dark Rider, Private Moondog b T.J. Lightning-DQ, Man vs. woman: Cobra d Stephanie Starr, Tony the Annihilator b Texas Hangman Killer-DQ

2/13/93 St. Paul, MN (NCWA): Bob Mason b Todd Allen, J.B. Trask won Battle Royal, The Jukester b Rowdy Yates, Doug Whalen b Shotgun Yates-DQ, Horace the Psychopath d Brett Striker, Mike Mayhem b Hollywood Hitman-DQ, Jerry Lynn b Trask, Mr. Dynamic & Scotty Z b T.J. Lightning & Masked Professor

Oh Man, so much TJ Lightning. I’m not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing. For whatever reason, I am kind of surprised, and this is an assumption, that he never got a run or appearance in a relevant promotion.

Does anyone know if Jim Ross resigned from the Talent Relations position himself, or if he was fired/demoted/reassigned? Also, did John Laurinitis resign from the Talent Relations position himself, or was he fired/demoted/reassigned? Also, is Lex Luger still talking to guys in developmental about weight training or was that a one-time thing? Sometimes, this stuff is hard to figure out because the reporting on it isn't really fleshed out.

I think with Jim Ross it's hazy because he wanted to reduce his office duties and was training John Laurinaitis to be his eventual replacement, but WWE moved forward the date of the switchover without Good Ol' JR knowing about it. He still did the company's payroll for many years after though.

Laurinaitis was forced out by Triple H. Not fired but demoted/reassigned, as he was still used as a TV character for awhile afterwards and behind the scenes as a road agent to this very day.

A few days ago I read Ray Stevens' biography as it was posted on a classic WON last week. I remember back when I was heavily into tape trades he was the second biggest letdown ever once I got to see the footage. After reading for years and years and years about this "legendary superworker" all the stuff that I found of him on tape was not very good. I just assumed his best stuff was never taped. That being said that was a decade ago and I'm sure a lot more footage has surfaced. Is there any must watch Stevens matches that I should track down?

In case anyone is wondering the biggest letdown for me was El Solitario. I was always told by pretty much everybody that he was the best worker in Mexico for decades but he is actually terrible in most of the dozen or so available matches with him and is only good in one of them.

By the time that match happened maybe MMA was becoming a normal term to use, but only a few years prior to that when discussing UFC/Pancrase the only terms I ever heard anyone use were either "ultimate fighting" or "shootfighting." Of course this was primarily on the Prodigy wrestling boards but at least in that community, shootfighting was a very common term.

To answer the earlier question, using the term "shootfighting" did seem business exposing when I first heard it. You know, as opposed to "fakefighting", which is what pro wrestling is. It seems like just saying he's "skilled in many fighting disciplines" would have been better. If it wasn't intended that way, so be it, but that was my reaction.

In case anyone is wondering the biggest letdown for me was El Solitario. I was always told by pretty much everybody that he was the best worker in Mexico for decades but he is actually terrible in most of the dozen or so available matches with him and is only good in one of them.

Was the one match he was good in the Dr. Wagner mask match because that match is guaranteed on the lucha set!!!

Was the one match he was good in the Dr. Wagner mask match because that match is guaranteed on the lucha set!!!

Yeah that was pretty good and I remembered there's this 1966 match of him where he's good too. Maybe we've just seen the wrong matches. Who knows.

To answer the earlier question, using the term "shootfighting" did seem business exposing when I first heard it. You know, as opposed to "fakefighting", which is what pro wrestling is. It seems like just saying he's "skilled in many fighting disciplines" would have been better. If it wasn't intended that way, so be it, but that was my reaction.

Would anybody who wasn't a "smart" fan understand the term "shoot" to mean a legitimate fight? Other than the UWFi PPVs promoting "shootwrestling," I don't think using the term shoot was ever really used much, and I doubt it would register much to the common fan.

John and I have discussed this before, but Stevens is an interesting case. With him we really have none of his prime, or at least no meaningful representation of it (I think some matches from Australia of all places popped up recently on youtube). We do have a few tag matches with him and Bock from the AWA studio in full and I think those show that he was a solid tag wrestler then, but even at that point (73ish) no serious person could watch the footage and consider him one of the absolute top guys on the planet. There is a fair amount of old man Stevens, primarily in the AWA. A few of those matches I enjoy a good bit, but unlike his partner Pat Paterson (who's prime we also have no footage of), you don't have matches or even moments in matches where you see the flashes you would expect from someone who is often called the best worker of all time.

The overall impression I get of Stevens based on what we have heard in general and specifically is that he was probably a very high spot heavy wrestler for his era, which may have made him stand out more. Even now big theatrical bumpers tend to be rated high almost as a pure reflex by both wrestlers and hardcore fans and Stevens - while certainly not the first - may have been the biggest/craziest at the time. He also had a finish that was crazy over and historically canonized which probably helped his resume as well. In other words he was sort of a prototype for your Michaels/Flair types and my guess is once he lost a step physically he was never really the same