Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No comments yet about about the lovely 'Forever young' Hogan tribute video on Raw?

Did anyone tell Parv?

I know 4 a fact our own Johnny Sorrow informed Parv. He asked if their were any shots of Dibiase in it.

Cool. I should probably ask him directly, but isn't he ever tempted to watch Raw or whatever? Do you guys ever bring it up before recording Titans?

I respect his conviction, but I'd find it very difficult to seal myself off in a pre-2000 world.......

What are smark communities in Japan and Mexico like? Are there message boards in the Japanese wrestling community like DVDVR that get into heated discussions over the merits of Kota Ibushi's flippiness vs. Tenryu's grumpiness? Or complaining about Joe Doering's push to the Triple Crown? Do they also think it's bullshit that Meltzer is calling this year's G1 "the greatest wrestling tournament ever"?

Same with Mexico. Is there a smark community excited about the potential of Alberto Del Rio returning to AAA?

Just curious if anyone has any knowledge on that and what the vibe towards current product is like compared to America, some of the similar and different views they may have towards "da bizness" as us.

Anyone I've ever heard speak about it who would know has said there really isn't such a thing we'd call "smark communities" in Mexico. Internet usage isn't like it is here, and there's not really places like here or DVDVR. People are excited about Alberto but it's either because it's the guy they saw on RAW or the guy they knew as Dos Caras Jr. coming back.

You'd think it wouldn't be hard for either group to fill a 15,000 or so seat arena in the third largest metro area in the world population wise.

Mainly due to Don Luce and Louis Golmitz we have knowledge of at least 395 shows in NYC in the year 1934. Why shouldn't there be +200 shows in 2014?

Working my way through 90s All Japan, what was the deal with Gordy's 3 day Triple Crown reign in 1990? Was it just a way to get the belt on Hansen without having to give away Hansen/Jumbo?

more like what's the deal with terry gordy being in all japan am i right

more seriously, it may have been that jumbo couldn't have the belt for the big misawa match (though allegedly baba called an audible that night re: the booking?) and then yea what you said. though i think it may not have been "giving away" jumbo/hansen so much as not rehashing an old matchup.

I was thinking recently, "'Mocho Cota' would be a great band name." Then I stumbled upon this, a Nuevo Leon punk band already had the same idea years before me. Haven't listened to them yet, but a demo is there for download, and a photo of Cota is part of their cover art.

Mocho+Cota+1.jpg

NSFW - http://anarkopez.blogspot.com/2013/03/mocho-cota-demo.html

Watched the 2002 RAW where the brand extension was established on the Network with my brother last night. There are minor production differences, but it is amazing how little difference there is in presentation in 12 years or so. I enjoyed the Angle/Vince backstage interactions a lot. I do wish there was a bit more fun in wrestling now. For the most part, so many things come off as dry, that a lot of the midcard could use some levity.

The big difference was the match times. I forgot about the compressed 5 minute match. That was fuckin brutal.

HHH vs Jericho vs Steph for World title intrigued me, but was a bit lackluster except for two brutal Stephanie bumps. My brother at the start was like "Do you think she will take anything serious?' By the end, HHH crushed her with a clothesline and squashed with a spinebuster. It was pretty crazy. I guess she was forced to leave and she did a great job hamming it up, holding onto the ropes and then the post while they sang "Hey Hey Goodbye". It is amazing to me that someone who is such an entertaining onscreen character is in charge of a creative team that consistently either botches storylines or present such a dry and bland product.

It is amazing to me that someone who is such an entertaining onscreen character is in charge of a creative team that consistently either botches storylines or present such a dry and bland product.

Not that surprising; just because someone is a great actor doesn't mean they could write a good screenplay, or even direct a film well.

Were Observer readers in the late 80s/early 90s seeing AJPW's weekly TV or just the great matches? I ask because working my way through these weekly TV episodes, Baba winning Booker of the Year three straight years from 1989-1991 is kind of mystifying to me. Obviously they put on a ton of great matches in that time, but as week-to-week TV it's far from captivating viewing, imo.

I had the network on after Summerslam and they were doing a piece on RVD and the guy who airbrushes his tights for him. It was interesting to hear him mention it was "Mr. Baba, my boss in Japan" who suggested he get ring gear that made him stand out since he was just rocking a plain black singlet at he time.

Were Observer readers in the late 80s/early 90s seeing AJPW's weekly TV or just the great matches? I ask because working my way through these weekly TV episodes, Baba winning Booker of the Year three straight years from 1989-1991 is kind of mystifying to me. Obviously they put on a ton of great matches in that time, but the weekly TV is far from captivating viewing, imo.

Dave did TV reports for AJPW, NJPW, and AJW that covered the whole show. I don't know to what extent the readers themselves were viewing everything as a whole, but those shows were being traded in full and Dave was watching just about everything and talking about it.

I have to disagree on the merits of AJPW television. I went through the entire '91 and '92 seasons and had lots of fun picking up on the little running stories throughout the year, keeping track of who was close to getting wins over whom and enjoying the moments of triumph when a Kawada or Kobashi broke through with a big win. That was some of the easiest binge-watching I've ever done, and I had just started '93 when the Benoit thing happened and the whole project got shelved.

I would have voted for Choshu as Booker of the Year for at least '90 and '91, but I can see the argument for Baba.

She is no longer head of creative

Haven't seen that match since it aired 12 1/2 years ago but I remember that spine buster bump being particularly nasty

I must be out of the loop. Do you the approximate timeframe she was the head of writing?

she joined creative in Sept. 2000 and became head of creative in Nov 2000. That lasted till sometime last year

Guest Eduardo James

I know it's fucking YouTube, but all of the comments saying it's real make want to throttle my monitor. They even have the "I KNOW what a real [X] is and this is one!" guy as the top comment. Hell, the angle he suffered from blood loss, not even a heart attack.

Can anyone think of any insider terminology that has taken on a kayfabe meaning? Thinking of stuff like 'ring awareness' and 'ring general'. I guess 'stiff' would be another one you hear on commentary quite a bit now but that still sounds business-exposing to me.