Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

Based on comments made by Russ Davis during the match, I'm going to guess that the Thesz-Gagne match from the Chicago footage is from 1/25/52. Not 100% sure. Wrestlingdata is far from being complete of course, but they list two Chicago Thesz-Gagne matches from the time period, both Broadways - 1/25/52 and 12/12/52. Davis on commentary implies this is the first time they have wrestled in Chicago, so that would suggest the former. Again, just a guess.

Great match BTW

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on comments made by Russ Davis during the match, I'm going to guess that the Thesz-Gagne match from the Chicago footage is from 1/25/52. Not 100% sure. Wrestlingdata is far from being complete of course, but they list two Chicago Thesz-Gagne matches from the time period, both Broadways - 1/25/52 and 12/12/52. Davis on commentary implies this is the first time they have wrestled in Chicago, so that would suggest the former. Again, just a guess.

Great match BTW

The Tribune article about the 1/25 match describes falls on the "reserve backdrop", then Gagne won with the sleeper.

The article about the 12/12 match mentioned that they had no falls in 60 minutes.

So i'm pretty sure the match on YouTube is from 1/25/1952.

That archive is amazing on so many levels. It's rare enough that there's that much footage from the 50s existing in one place, let alone somewhere willing to clean it up and make it publicly available like that. I wonder if there's other archives sitting on a shelf somewhere that might come to light because of this.

I'm not sure what other US archives could pop up but I hope that someday the INA French Catch archive shows up online. There's some sort of local lucha archive in Monterrey too and I have seen only some clips with Huracan Ramirez and a couple others but whatever is there is in excellent video quality. It's great that money and time from an institution has been spent on this to restore it and give it away for free. It's surprising and refreshing to see wrestling getting that type of respect.

If Televisa did this with their 80s lucha archive the heads of many people in this forum would explode. Don't worry though, Televisa is a black hole and will never do that.

So I'm reading about how the NWA Convention in 1980 was pushed back a couple of months because of a huge power struggle regarding the membership promotion in Japan where Bob Geigel was leading the charge for AJPW while Eddie Graham was leading the charge for NJPW. They eventually held the convention in September coincidentally after Race dropped the title and won it back from Baba on a tour. The talk was that Race did that because he thought that was going to be the last time he would defend in AJPW.

Now just imagine how different Japan would've been post 1980 if that switch happened.....

On today's Jeopardy, the middle contestant was a history Ph.D. candidate named Bill Cossen(?), who said if he ever gets tenure somewhere, he wants to write a serious history of pro wrestling. Alex chuckled a bit at the notion and name-dropped Gorgeous George.

So which one of you was this? Congrats on your huge win. Not a Jeopardy MOTY contender or anything, but a decent squash.

There's a bunch of footage here. They have a Japanese (or perhaps 'Japanese') guy called Chico Yoshikawasan. The promotion also features

http://z11.invisionfree.com/wrestling_ko/index.php?showtopic=4116

We talked about it a bit here and I remember really liking that Mr. Argentina vs Aguiles match but I can't remember why I didn't watch more. It didn't seem to catch on with the WKO crowd like French catch did.

I tend to follow the Gran Jacobo and Bill Martinez Facebook accounts in order to be at some point in the far, far future to be able to start with adding old South American wrestling cards. Both guys wrestled extensively in South America and Europe so I might be able to pull it off without going insane in regards to stereotypical lucha names (for instance I do hope that Pantera Negra won't be a problem).

I mean, if somebody wants to waste his time and write up all the cards on the accounts I can enter them a lot sooner. Personally, I'm too busy researching pre-WWII Latvia... I am not kidding. Seriously.

This is a question for all of you who grew up in the 80s. Being a 90s baby, I always find myself nostalgic towards that era of wrestling. I've always wondered if you who grew up watching wrestling in the 80s found the 90s to be inferior to the 80s. I know personally I hated the 00s compared to the 90s. I think the question is interesting because you had the Attitude era in the 90s, which is seen as the biggest boom in wrestling history, but did you enjoy it like you did the 80s?

I was born in '82 and watched wrestling for pretty much literally my whole life, becoming a fan like my dad. I can honestly say I consumed far, far more wrestling from '96-'00 than I did in the '80s, yes.

Now between then you had the Dark Ages, and there's no question that period was worse. Actually early '90s WWF I found far worse at the time, which is what led to me becoming a full-fledged WCW viewer. But I still kept tabs on things, thanks to discovering the Apter mags in '91 and discussion on Prodigy in early '93, opening up a whole new world even as the business was decaying.

I was also born in '82, but, I always found myself more nostalgic for the '80's and the idea of territories. My uncle gave me a huge stack of old magazines in the early 1990's, going back to the early '80's. So, it wasn't uncommon to see ten year old Mike, reading a seven year old magazine.

Nice!

Born in 1978, first generation wrestling fan in 1990 - and knew no other wrestling fans.

I started watching before I remember doing so (72-73), and my first wrestling memories are from the later half of the 70's, so the 80's were like a peak watching time for me. What happened to wrestling after 1984 was something I didn't like much at the time, and by the time the AWA faded out of existence I was losing my taste for it a bit (combined with life in general getting a lot busier).

Then Ultimate Warrior-Papa Shango happened, and I stopped watching completely for a few years. The Monday Night Wars saw me reinvest like I was when I was younger, but the fade/destruction of WCW reminded me a lot of the AWA going down the tubes by the end, and watching it happen all over again (combined with ECW sliding into oblivion) brought me back to being a much more casual watcher of the product. That hasn't changed much except for the brief spurts when something catches fire. I do like to read about what's going on and keep up with it in print.

I don't know if "inferior" is the right word to use, but I had more time to get into wrestling and the other stuff I watched in the 80's that I didn't have in the 90's and beyond, and that gave the earlier era an advantage which later wrestling viewing could never compete with. The 70's and 80's were a product presented in a way that attracted me to watch it in the first place. Anything that can only compete by hoping to hold your attention (like 90's wrestling and beyond, for me) is doomed to be looked at as inferior at the end of the day.