Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

I'm in the middle of the Main Event of Starrcade 2000 between Sid and Steiner, and I would probably say that it's the worst PPV I've ever seen. By far.

New Blood Rising trumps that for me.

I was actually told to watch that on Twitter after I said that I was watching Starrcade 2K. I just couldn't do it. I watched a SHIT TON of wrestling yesterday, and most of it was horrible. I just couldn't fit in another horrible show. I actually watched Starrcade Battlebowl 92 right before Starrcasde 2K and it was also horrible save for an amazing Sting/Vader match (We skipped the other actual good match on the show for some reason.)

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really liked the first episode of Lucha Underground. A lot. The first match was a stinker & Vampiro is the pits on commentary but I love the look & feel of the show. The Spanish Soap Opera/Low Budget movie style vignettes were a lot of fun to me. Main event was a good spotfest too. Love the way the ring looks. The intro videos were really good too.

So here's a 50+ minute match from Iraq. I imagine if anybody is going to watch that it may be somebody on this forum.

Easy to find the other parts if you look at related videos.

Any idea about the date or the wrestlers?

The translated page doesn't seem to say the date or the opponent, but the clean-shaven guy is Adnan al-Kaissie. I'm about 98% sure the opponent is Scottish worker Ian Campbell.

So here's a 50+ minute match from Iraq. I imagine if anybody is going to watch that it may be somebody on this forum.

Easy to find the other parts if you look at related videos.

Any idea about the date or the wrestlers?

The translated page doesn't seem to say the date or the opponent, but the clean-shaven guy is Adnan al-Kaissie. I'm about 98% sure the opponent is Scottish worker Ian Campbell.

Funny - I didn't notice it was Kaissie (I can normally recognise a clean shaven Adnan) as I didn't pay a lot of attention, but one thing I noticed is that the style looked quite similar to the old European heavyweight style.

I've always been curious about wrestling in the Middle East. French and Spanish wrestlers used to go to Syria and Lebanon all the time, and you have to always take wrestler folklore with a pinch of salt, but they would all rave about filling up large stadiums on every trip.

On that youtube page where the match is, there are some Kaissie interviews on the sidebar. I checked one of them out and it had a few highlights of that match and someome IDed Campbell as his opponent.

Kaissie has some great stories about being brought in to wrestle in Iraq in his book, and his descriptions of the size of the crowds and the emotion generated in the book bears out as true based on that match and the atmosphere it had.

The Saddam stuff is in the book too. I have no reason to doubt it.

Where can I see the ChilangaMask Hechicero/Black Terry vs. Trauma II/Negro Navarro match? I'm willing to pay if necessary. Saw it mentioned on WKO but don't have an account there.

Email Black Terry Jr. at

jokermea@hotmail.com

He has Hechicero v. Terry from this weekend too. Both rule!

Thanks so much :)

Al Tomko's group got banned in British Columbia for the whole month of October 1983 due to a riot at a show so he took his roster to Amman, Jordan where they worked the entire month and supposedly drew huge crowds every night.

That's a cool story. Random as fuck as well.

A few years ago I worked in Amman for three months and there were a couple of channels with UFC and WWE on every night. In the city there are MMA shows almost every month.

Al Tomko's group got banned in British Columbia for the whole month of October 1983 due to a riot at a show so he took his roster to Amman, Jordan where they worked the entire month and supposedly drew huge crowds every night.

A few years ago I worked in Amman for three months and there were a couple of channels with UFC and WWE on every night. In the city there are MMA shows almost every month.

Yeah, that made me intrigued, so I looked around and found this on KM

Timothy Flowers was never shy when it came to headlining in B.C. The Fire Island New York native made waves in August of 1983 battling World champ Tiger Jeet Singh at Kerrisdale arena. The two incited a small riot and the result was the banning of All Star Wrestling almost six weeks by the NWA until October of 1983. This happened to fall right before a tour of the Middle East by All Star Wrestling. Al Tomko wanted to show the fans of B.C that his promotion was a world-class operation and they toured Amman, Jordan. On the tour were Tomko, the Flowers brothers, Moondog Moretti, Rick Patterson, Randy Rich, Spoiler, Mike Dupree, and the 465lb behemoth Big John Baker.

I live about 20 mins away from the arena where the riot occured, which still stands and has a cool history as a place where a lot of iconic rock bands played in the 50-70s

So L.A. Park (and son) showed up in CMLL last night. This is a pretty major development since not only does it mean he might have finally agreed to a mask match but it's also the first time someone on Paco Alonso's shit list has been allowed to return to the company.

Yeah, that made me intrigued, so I looked around and found this on KM

Timothy Flowers was never shy when it came to headlining in B.C. The Fire Island New York native made waves in August of 1983 battling World champ Tiger Jeet Singh at Kerrisdale arena. The two incited a small riot and the result was the banning of All Star Wrestling almost six weeks by the NWA until October of 1983. This happened to fall right before a tour of the Middle East by All Star Wrestling. Al Tomko wanted to show the fans of B.C that his promotion was a world-class operation and they toured Amman, Jordan. On the tour were Tomko, the Flowers brothers, Moondog Moretti, Rick Patterson, Randy Rich, Spoiler, Mike Dupree, and the 465lb behemoth Big John Baker.

I live about 20 mins away from the arena where the riot occured, which still stands and has a cool history as a place where a lot of iconic rock bands played in the 50-70s

That reads like the "banning" was kayfabe. Particularly:

This happened to fall right before a tour of the Middle East by All Star Wrestling.

The late 2001 Hardy Boyz break-up stuff has to be some of the oddest booked wrestling I've seen lately. Jeff and Lita keep taking stupid risks that cost the team matches, titles, title shots, and endanger themselves. Matt justifiably gets upset over this, and yet he's portrayed as being the heel for actually wanting his teammates to think of the team first and their personal glory second. I just don't get how a writer (or group of writers) sat down and thought this booking made a lick of sense.