Pro Wrestling Only

Where's Kevin Cook?

NintendoLogic

The Naylor comments from a few pages ago got me to thinking. What ever happened to Kevin Cook?

On another forum he was outed as having asked a girl out through a PM and it embarrassed him enough to disappear. Which I find strange since he proudly had cyber sex with two dudes online under false pretenses.

Cook disappeared after being outed as hetero? That's new.

The Naylor comments from a few pages ago got me to thinking. What ever happened to Kevin Cook?

On another forum he was outed as having asked a girl out through a PM and it embarrassed him enough to disappear. Which I find strange since he proudly had cyber sex with two dudes online under false pretenses.

Sounds like i'd be better off not asking but i'll shoot anyways, who the hell is Kevin Cook?

So I'm confused about this. Considering the number of people who hook up online these days, that's not exactly embarrassing. There even is the Christian equiv of Match.com now.

Or are the two sentences related?

John

Sounds like i'd be better off not asking but i'll shoot anyways, who the hell is Kevin Cook?

You might remember him as Smoove Luv B on Smarkschoice.

Eh, I remember the name but not much about him. I gave up on SC the second Modest got unbaned and given admin powers cause I saw that disaster coming well before he actually blew up.

I'd be impressed if ANYONE can name 3,000 wrestlers period, let alone better than Raven.

THREE THOUSAND

Give me a few days

I actually wouldn't think it'd be that hard

Eh, I remember the name but not much about him. I gave up on SC the second Modest got unbaned and given admin powers cause I saw that disaster coming well before he actually blew up.

Oh, Smoove... Wasn't he a major lucha pimp during the GWE poll ?

On a side note, SC used to be so fun back then.

MLW, well, I'll try anyway but thanks for the advice.

So I'm confused about this. Considering the number of people who hook up online these days, that's not exactly embarrassing. There even is the Christian equiv of Match.com now.

John

Well the cyber sex was not recreational. He thought he was pulling a prank. But it was like that South Park where Cartman put his dick in Butters mouth.

John

Well the cyber sex was not recreational. He thought he was pulling a prank. But it was like that South Park where Cartman put his dick in Butters mouth.

Did he blame Mick Foley?

It's a shit prank, and if that had been what caused him to head for the hills, I'd get it. But asking a chick out in PM, having it come out in public, and heading for the hills because of *that*... it's odd in the late 00's.

It's too bad. He was a good read.

John

Cook had a pretty strong writing style. It probably would be hard for him to hide it long term from folks who read and corresponded with him a lot.

Then again, perhaps he's so good that he could reinvent himself. Would really have to completely change his likes and dislikes, since those tend to be early give aways.

John

So was it the threeway sex log that made him run for the hills, or hitting up the chick? Because I'm still having a hard time wrapping my mind around the second one being a "I need to quit the net" thing. :)

Is the anything left of his discussions leading to his departure?

John

Oh, Smoove... Wasn't he a major lucha pimp during the GWE poll ?

On a side note, SC used to be so fun back then.

Yeah, good times. I kinda miss the big list projects that used to go on, sorta wish someone would try & re-do the GWE sometime.

So was it the threeway sex log that made him run for the hills, or hitting up the chick? Because I'm still having a hard time wrapping my mind around the second one being a "I need to quit the net" thing. :)

John

I'm not as surprised by it as you are to be honest. It seems every few months I stumble onto a wrestling discussion that involves a fan being made fun of for finding a woman working in the wrestling business attractive, and having that played for comedy by (usually the same) self-loathing wrestling dorks who find it hilarious that anyone could have different taste in women than them.

11-year olds in a boy's only treehouse club, and all that.

Actually liking A GURL on a wrestling forum being played as an embarrassing incident fits pretty well into that culture.

John

No these were three different things spread out over time. I just found the disappearance odd, considering the earlier stuff. It was when he asked the girl out in PM.

Suicide? The crazy thing about the internet is you'd never know. Did anyone have the dude on Facebook or go to shows with him? Amazing that someone can just disappear like that, in this information age you can trace anything. 

I know Rob Edwards used to chat to Cook a lot on AIM, if anyone is that bothered he's probably the best person to shed some light.

As a sidenote, is this Cook (

) or just a coincidence?

I gave up on SC the second Modest got unbaned and given admin powers cause I saw that disaster coming well before he actually blew up.

It died long before that, when nobody paid the bills and everything was lost. Shame that barely any of it was saved for posterity.

Yeah, good times. I kinda miss the big list projects that used to go on, sorta wish someone would try & re-do the GWE sometime.

Would there be any point in doing another GWE though? Even though I've not been watching a great deal it doesn't seem like anyone has really emerged since 2006, although I guess more footage has been unearthed and different styles are in vogue. Someone like Lawler would finish a lot higher now you'd have to guess, depending on who voted of course. Another reason it shouldn't be done again is that you could never replicate the atmosphere, it seemed that all the major wrestling boarders of the internet age were merging to discuss, watch footage and submit lists. The activity on the board at the time hit a ridiculous peak.

I'll just say I'll let this run another day or two, then probably close the thread, because it's not really "pro wrestling only". But might as well let people chat about it if they're interested in the meantime. I just don't want this to turn into a Where Are They Now megathread for lost posters and comments about Chris Coey's personal life. That's not what this board is about.

It died long before that, when nobody paid the bills and everything was lost.

Yeah I was pretty bumed when that happened. I never wanted to own/run SC as being an admin for a while was headache enough but at the time I would have actually paid the bill myself just to keep the archive around had I known things were that far gone.

Would there be any point in doing another GWE though? Even though I've not been watching a great deal it doesn't seem like anyone has really emerged since 2006, although I guess more footage has been unearthed and different styles are in vogue.

Well, I know my list would atleast be a lot diffrent. Not so much the top part as my top 20 or so hasn't changed much since then but the rest of my top 100 would be way diffrent as there were a giant amount of ppl I hadn't heard of or seen back then. Like I remember that was the first time I ever even heard the name MS1 or for example I hadn't seen Johnny Saint, Jim Breaks, WOS, etc back then either.

There was talk of Meltzer giving a list (think he got emailed about it, among others). Even Coey was asked, I think Dave Prazak put a list in (might be wrong on that). I don't think you'd ever get so many 'major names' (in the context of the hardcore IWC as was) coming together again. It was just one of those things where everything came together at the right time. Probably the height of wrestling hardcore fandom message boarding,

Hm, can't remember if Prazak did or not but i'm leaning no. But yeah, it was a who's who for a while. Always amused that Kharma/Amazing/Awesome Kong even posted thear for a little bit.

Would there be any point in doing another GWE though? Even though I've not been watching a great deal it doesn't seem like anyone has really emerged since 2006, although I guess more footage has been unearthed and different styles are in vogue. Someone like Lawler would finish a lot higher now you'd have to guess, depending on who voted of course.

I think the point of doing it again eventually - and now is NOT the right time - is that in fact a whole shit load more footage has become available and a great deal more has become widely available. We have tons of Portland now. AWA is about to come out in a Set that is going to highlight tons of stuff that has barely been seen or talked about at all by smart fans. Guys like Hoshino have emerged as "how the fuck did we not know this guy existed?" figures and guys like Fujinami, Fujiwara, Tenryu, Casas, Lawler have emerged as GOAT figures with a broader cross section of people. The yearbooks have given us great time capsule projects to watch things in context. Lucha and Europe, both wildly underexplored regions in the past are now pimped more and a lot of stuff is available online featuring guys like Satanico, Jim Breaks, La Fiera, et who would be easy top hundred contenders and were after thoughts at best for most people voting six years ago. Indy guys that seemed fringy or questionable at the time - like Punk, Joe, Danielson, Necro, et have more defined careers to be judged by. Shootstyle has gotten a lot more attention and discussion with people like Ikeda, Ishikawa, Otsuka, Fujiwara, Han, Tamura, et having their own corners of th net where they are appreciated as all time greats. There is less consensus on some figures and more diversity of opinion with real "blocks" of fandom (not that there weren't then, but they feel more obvious now and I think the footage explosion has allowed for people to more freely criticized sacred cows that may have just been accepted as great without little if any watching of them/discussion of them in the past). Now is the wrong time to do it because we are on the verge of releasing things like Lucha, Europe, Portland, AWA, SMW and multiple 90's yearbooks which will further expand the footage base and will make guys like Rose, El Dandy, Bock, Hennig, Dundee, Breaks, Saint, Lawler, et even stronger candidates. But I can't see any reason at all to believe that the 06 vote was unimpeachable, let alone to argue that "nothing has changed." A shitload has changed.

Another reason it shouldn't be done again is that you could never replicate the atmosphere, it seemed that all the major wrestling boarders of the internet age were merging to discuss, watch footage and submit lists. The activity on the board at the time hit a ridiculous peak.

There was talk of Meltzer giving a list (think he got emailed about it, among others). Even Coey was asked, I think Dave Prazak put a list in (might be wrong on that). I don't think you'd ever get so many 'major names' (in the context of the hardcore IWC as was) coming together again. It was just one of those things where everything came together at the right time. Probably the height of wrestling hardcore fandom message boarding, with the rise of social networking forums as a concept have declined since then and so has nearly every board.

There were 49 voters in the GWE. I was one of them and I'm an elitist dick when it comes to wrestling but no way in hell would I categorize myself as some sort of nobleman who was uniquely qualified to vote in that poll. Hell I was underqualified for a number of reasons not the least of which was my total ignorance of Lucha.

I agree that it was a very interesting and unique cross section of voters. But I think now you would get a much broader range of opinion even if the voting base was smaller (and I'm not altogether certain it would be) if for no other reason than because people have dug a lot more sense then.