Pro Wrestling Only

Ring of Honor Wrestling

Coffey

The other thing from the article was that the reason why Maria Manic's contract expired without having a match is because she didn't tell Ring of Honor that it was expiring.   Imagine thinking that this is now contracts are done in the real world.  Under that logic wrestlers could just stay quiet and get out of their contract

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

55 minutes ago, hammerva said:

The other thing from the article was that the reason why Maria Manic's contract expired without having a match is because she didn't tell Ring of Honor that it was expiring.   Imagine thinking that this is now contracts are done in the real world.  Under that logic wrestlers could just stay quiet and get out of their contract

Shit like that is what drove Corny over the edge with ROH and made Greg the Office Boy a punchline.

30 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Shit like that is what drove Corny over the edge with ROH and made Greg the Office Boy a punchline.

Yeah, you're right. If you watch the Breaking Kayfabe shoot interview Cornette did with KC, this is the exact kind of thing he was going insane over in ROH when he worked there around 6 years ago.  He had the exact same complaints about lack of medical care for the wrestlers as well, and this kind of stuff is why he quit ROH altogether.

2 hours ago, Migs said:

Worth noting that they announced a match for Marty at the Final Battle TV taping and it's NOT a 6 man title defense. They can always add one late (a lot of times guys work twice on the TV tapings), but fodder for the speculation...

They probably forgot he had the belt.

On 12/3/2019 at 6:16 PM, Migs said:

Worth noting that they announced a match for Marty at the Final Battle TV taping and it's NOT a 6 man title defense. They can always add one late (a lot of times guys work twice on the TV tapings), but fodder for the speculation...

Things can change in a month. But I'd really be shocked if goes anywhere. Talked to three different people who I don't believe talk to each other today about it. ROH is offering "insane" and "massive" money for him to stay.

One person added that Marty wants to get more than money to feel good about the move. Whether that means the "book" or a seat on the booking committee I don't know.

Yeah, I honestly don't know why he would stick around. The stench on ROH in light of Joey Mercury & Kelly Klein's allegations is extremely toxic. I would understand if ROH was the only promotion offering him money but I seriously doubt that both AEW & WWE won't make him an offer. To me - and it's strictly my opinion - Marty Scurll would be a much bigger star everywhere except in Ring of Honor.

Apart from Matt Taven, who has zero hype whatsoever and whose reign has totally tanked the promotion anyway (in his case, I wonder why ROH would want to keep him) and the Briscoes for obvious reasons, I dunno why anyone with a profile would want to stay in ROH while WWE and AEW are in a war for talent. Especially NXT signing anyone just for them not to show up in AEW. It will not last forever. Scurll staying in ROH now makes no sense. He's gonna waste years of his career in a dying promotion with no guarantee of being a sought after commodity in a few years (and will AEW will even be a factor then, no one knows, so that's another risk). Right now, he could rule NXT feuding against Adam Cole or be a big name in AEW. Same goes for guys like PCO (whom I guess would love to get another shot at making it in WWE), Brody King (AEW badly needs a guy like him) and Rush (who can do whatever the hell he wants). And whatever side on the fence they go will only improve their profile. Staying in ROH makes them afterthoughts at best.

Of those guys, PCO has pretty explicitly indicated he's taking the biggest offer given the stage he's at in his career. And Brody is almost certainly following Marty. (I don't know about Rush - he pretty clearly signed with ROH because of CMLL, so with his relationship with them in the tank, I'd think he'll explore options.)

If I'm Marty, the only way I'd consider taking the offer is if I got the book and could mold the promotion. I've said many times ROH's greatest mistake was not completely giving the Elite the keys to the castle early in 2018. If Marty wants the keys now, when him leaving would basically put a final nail in the coffin of a lot of people's interest in ROH, they should do it. (I agree he'd be better off in a lot of ways in AEW or NXT, but maybe this would be his dream gig?)

The PCO/RUSH match was suitably off the wall.

As expected, PCO took at least three crazy bumps through out the match and also did a crazy sports entertainment spot where he was brought back from the dead to continue the match. It won't be everybody's cup of tea, but I thought it suited the match and both performers. The only lowlight was RUSH fumbling around with a small ladder for what felt like an eternity. They quickly switched gears so it wasn't that big a deal, but it was bush league.

I'm not holding my breath, but they've got some momentum heading into the TV tapings. Whether PCO is the right fit or not, RUSH as ROH Champion wasn't working and he needed to go back to the drawing board. I just hope ROH do a better job than what they dished out heading into Final Battle.

32 minutes ago, C.S. said:

I'm super-happy for PCO.

But here's a really compelling read on why ROH is such a disaster and actually has been one for a lot longer than any of us might have thought.

Wrestling Inc.:Tommaso Ciampa Recalls ROH Telling Him How Little He Was Worth

Not really. No one at the time was really pushing for ROH to build around Ciampa. A strong push for sure. But not as the guy. Also at the time, Ciampa had the reputation of being a bit of a headcase/liability. Not a long time bet like Lethal, Cole etc.

1 hour ago, rovert said:

Not really. No one at the time was really pushing for ROH to build around Ciampa. A strong push for sure. But not as the guy. Also at the time, Ciampa had the reputation of being a bit of a headcase/liability. Not a long time bet like Lethal, Cole etc.

This doesn't exactly help ROH's case...

Ciampa smokes Lethal and Cole in every single aspect of being a professional wrestler - ring work, character, presentation, you name it. 

Maybe that wasn't the case then - probably not - but half of the trick of running an indie organization (and make no mistake, that's what ROH is and all it is) is being able to see the diamonds in the rough and extract that potential. 

The biggest news out of the television tapings was the appearance of Scurll who was rumoured to be finished with the company. Not only did Scurll appear, but he was featured heavily through out the tapings and the ground work was laid for a rivalry between him and RUSH's new stable with Dragon Lee and Kenny King. That would suggest to me that ROH is at least confident enough that he'll be around for the January shows in Atlanta and North Carolina.

3 hours ago, Big Pete said:

The biggest news out of the television tapings was the appearance of Scurll who was rumoured to be finished with the company. Not only did Scurll appear, but he was featured heavily through out the tapings and the ground work was laid for a rivalry between him and RUSH's new stable with Dragon Lee and Kenny King. That would suggest to me that ROH is at least confident enough that he'll be around for the January shows in Atlanta and North Carolina.

As I posted a while ago on here. ROH was the most likely scenario and I mean 95% likely. No matter what Meltzer reported or BTE teases. ROH is simply offering too much money while with AEW they are tightening the budget and not everyone in key positions like him enough to change that.

The trip to NWA has been planned since at least mid-September. ROH and NWA are on decent terms and the NWA was mentioned on the commentary of ROH Final Battle.