Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-02-10-USWA-Championship Sports] Kerry Von Erich and Gorky Park

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

Kerry Von Erich introduces a band that stands for "world peace and anti-drug" ... everything he says the Von Erichs believe in. That band is Russian hair metal band Gorky Park. They are apparently making the U.S. and the Soviet Union one power. Kerry talks about promoting peace, getting rid of drugs and being about family. So, so funny! Kerry Von Erich and Perestroika, how about that for a combo?

Gorky Park evidently was a semi-big deal at the time, which makes their appearance here all the more random and ridiculous. This must have been one of those "bogus Soviet rock bands to make fun of" that Wayne & Garth lamented the disappearance of after the fall of Communism. Vladimir Putin would approve of this message.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, so Kerry definitely fucked that chick, right?

I like to think this is Kerry Von Erich's Rocky IV moment, only somehow his version of Rocky V winds up even more depressing than the actual film, since Rocky doesn't blow his brains out at the end of Rocky V because he's about to go to prison (although in retrospect, maybe he should have).

Please no reminders about Rocky V. Seriously when I got the Rocky box set I took out that one disc and threw it in the trash so I'd never feel tempted to rewatch it!

I must confess that I'm somewhat unfamiliar with the turn of the 90's Russian Rock scene. But so were 99.9% of the people who have ever watched this. Gorky Park are legends I'm sure.

• 5 months later...

I have no clue who Gorky Park is, but they are anti-drug much like the Von Erichs. Gorky Park is apparently still a band according to wikipedia. Anyways, this was fun as Kerry seemed like some kind of ambassador between the US and the Soviet Union.

Gorky Park had one semi-hit here in the states ("Bang"). I think it peaked at like #38 or so. They did that Russian Peace Festival concert (whatever it was called) that heavy metal manager Doc McGhee put together (after trying to smuggle hundreds of pounds of pot into the States from Mexico). Musically, they were kinda just the typical Hair Band. BTW, it was never called Hair Metal until after the fad was over. Back then, we called it either "Pop Metal", "Pop Rock", "Glam" or "Light Metal". Im sure the babyfaces all got pictures with them. Pictures that would ultimately take up space on the Gimmick table, never moving, not even at the most remote, random house show.

Kerry claiming that Anti-Drug is among the things the Von Erichs stand for sadly got a snicker out of the Sportatorium crowd.

The little blond in the leather, who I guess is the band's American rep, gazes into Kerry's Dumb Jock eyes and you can hear her panties moistening.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Did anyone else get the feeling that Kerry paused after mentioning that Gorky Park was from the Soviet Union as if daring the rednecks in the Sportatorium crowd to boo them with him standing there?

I definitely believe that the Von Erichs were anti-drugs and pro-family; it's just a shame that their portrayers, the Adkissons, weren't.

• 11 months later...

I remember the novel Gorky Park because my father was reading when I was little and explained to me that it was about a murder in Russia, which frightened me to no end. This segment really came out of nowhere for me, and really didn't make any sense. Kerry telling Gorky Park to "kick the tail of rock n roll in America" or whatever he said was something else.

• 1 year later...

It’s a very special night and Kerry is going to introduce a Rock and Roll band that stands for world peace, anti-drug and everything the Von Erich’s believe in (oh my, this should be good!). All the way from the Soviet Union, it’s some band called Gorky Park, and they take a seat in the audience. Later in the broadcast Kerry invites the band to join him and Marc Lowrance. The band are being chaperoned by Jennifer Spirit, who goes back a looooooooooong way with Kerry. She says that her friends from Russia have never been to a wrestling match, so she wanted to take them to see the best, the greatest, Kerry Von Erich. Kerry says that Gorky Park stand for something that he and all the wrestler of the USWA stand for; straightening out this nation, getting rid of drugs, bringing back family and promoting peace. He then hands his Texas title to Gorky Park who hold it while he makes a defense against The Soultaker.

Christ this was bad! From the non-entity band uniting the US and Russia, Kerry having to get in that she’s some sex symbol by intimating he slept with this women, to the ridiculous claims that he’s against drugs. I know he’s got the WWF run to come, but it’s pretty sad seeing Kerry doing this stuff in the Sportatorium in 1990 after the mid-80s heyday. I think it was Jerry in another thread who said Kerry is like the popular kid in high school who’s now 30 but still stuck in the moment he was 18. I never spotted that before, but it really resonated watching this segment.

• 1 month later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-02-10-USWA-Championship Sports] Kerry Von Erich and Gorky Park