Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-04-05-Pioneer] Ryuma Go vs Masaji Aoyagi

Loss

• 5 weeks later...

It's Ryuma Go. It's Masaji Aoyagi. It's Pioneer. That's the entirety of my reason for wanting to put this on. I was not expecting this to be anything more than weird. It's weird all right, but it's also spectacular, with tons of blood, stiff kicks, punches to the face and hyperactive melodrama, filled with mic work, concerned managers, Aoyagi being carted out and dramatically returning to continue fighting and more. This is a handheld match worked in a small building. The footage occasionally goes into black and white. But this is dramatic enough that I seriously think Brock Lesnar could headline Wrestlemania working a match with this exact layout. It would be super famous if it took place on a bigger show. Possibly the biggest hidden gem on any yearbook.

I wasn't sure what to make of this. The blood and the desperate quality of the brawling, especially after the restart, were captivating. But the round breaks broke the flow without adding drama, and that restart took a hell of a long time. In all, it wasn't a cohesive enough experience for me to rate it as highly as Loss. That said, rareties like this add richness to the yearbooks, so big thumbs up for including it. Phil, this seems like a match you should see if you haven't.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Karate guys never seem to work out in wrestling or MMA. Looks like we are doing rounds here. Second round gets all crazy as they leave the ring and head into the hallway. Both guys get bloodies up pretty good. Not a whole lot of sportsmanship. Double clothesline leads to both men not making the ten count. I think anyways.

I think this was a case of there being something of a language or cultural barrier here, as I had trouble following along with the restarts, which seemed to take forever. The action itself was quite good, and quite bloody, but the stops were a real killer for me. Maybe that's on me for not understanding what was going on, but it still made it difficult for me to really enjoy this.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in the Loss camp. Maybe the best hidden gem so far in a Yearbook. At least in contention.

…How charming is this coming right after the WrestleMania main event? I mean, we just watched the main event of the marque show form one of the biggest companies in the world. A large arena with lots of spectacle. Here, we get a little Japanese indy shot via handheld going back and forth between color and black and white. And on the one hand you had two guys feuding over who was the chosen instrument of the gods (or something, but they sure didn’t discuss the title much) and here you have a guy in a gi versus a guy in black trunks and black boots.

…Anyhow, this is rad. They work it around their differing techniques early on, but they manage to work in brawling and blood. It’s a rounds match and they use that to their advantage to build the tension like chapters in a book. And the crowd follows them right along. So much better than Hogan-Warrior it’s not even funny. Hogan-Warrior was like watching a fight between two super heroes unfold in a comic book. That’s fun and all, but this was more like what wrestling should be. This is an athletic contest that escalates into a fight. A balance between sporting athleticism, with the constant threat of legit violence.

…There’s a seeming start and restart after both men are left laying. It’s a long break in-between and the two finally coming back together to go at it some more. This is somewhat disturbing in the context of watching it in 2013 as it just looks like two guys who have suffered concussions being forced to continue competing by their coach.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I had no idea what I was seeing from start to finish, mostly because of the garbage camera work, which was subpar even for a handheld. Guys bleeding out of nowhere and some jerk in a shirt screaming at them for some completely unknown reason aren't entertaining to me at all. Even Vince's stupidest bullshit is miles better than this.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

This match really interested me at first. I thought to myself that I might actually be getting into shoot style for the first time. I assume that's what this is, because it really seemed like a real fight. It reminded me of Bloodsport a little bit. The strikes looked really brutal, but it really did feel too long. It lost me in the second half and didn't really ever recover for me. It definitely had a uniqueness about it.

• 8 months later...

Good shoot-y striker vs grappler to start. Then we go into ECW style arena dragging. That made me pay attention for sure. Both guys get bloodied up and try to put each other away with big, stiff bombs. Then when they both stay down for the count, some asshole comes out to call them pussies and tell them how they should still be fighting. My guess is this guy is some kind of hero of bloodbath type slugfests, and I hope he is or he's got no business being out there. The restart takes way too long and it's probably because both guys are legitimately gone. Good desperation slugfest as both guys are tripping over themselves for maybe a minute. Then they both get dragged to the back while the asshole tells us how great either his promotion or those two guys are. Strange, strange stuff, definitely one that sticks with you.

• GSR changed the title to [1990-04-05-Pioneer] Ryuma Go vs Masaji Aoyagi