Pro Wrestling Only

• 5 weeks later...

One great thing I forgot about this is a referee spot (won't spoil it) that has people in the first few rows jumping out of their seats in disbelief of what they just saw.

Loss mentioned this earlier but Bobby Eaton has a great move set and really refined it in 1990. His running vertical suplex always looks great (insert time #1 where I suggest that random Indy wrestler in 2012 should steal this move), his Irish whip-hold on-bounce you off ropes-backbreaker is beautiful (#2), and no one hits a better swinging neck breaker than Eaton. You combine those with the flying elbow, the flying legdrop, his assortment of punches and eye rakes (the best eye raker ever?) and he has a great all around moveset. That's without adding his bulldog, turn around lariat, and his individual parts of double teams.

Great match! I think Tim covered this very well and there's not much I would add. That referee spot ... wow. In the spirit of keeping the surprise, I won't spoil it either, but wow. I wonder if they requested Nick Patrick to referee their matches, because he's done a great spot or exchange in two matches they've had so far on this yearbook.

Yeah, Nick Patrick with the best part of the match.

A Jimmy Jam DDT puts Gibson down and gives the Midnights the victory. This isn't quite as spectacular (aside from that one spot) as the other matches involving these teams but the basics are executed so well that it doesn't matter. I'd just like to add that Lance Russell & Teddy Long is a rather bizarre commentary team that could be a disaster but their chemistry is actually pretty good.

This was tremendous, a 10-minute distillation of everything that's great about the rivalry. Tim already mentioned Eaton's offense and boy was it great here. I'm not sure I've ever seen that slingshot backbreaker. It's a testament to Eaton that he still bothered to come up with interesting new stuff this deep into his career. As stated in the thread for the Flair match, he had all the tools for a strong singles run. And I still popped huge for the Patrick spot, even though I had read this thread and knew something was coming from him. I could have done without the Freebirds ending, but this was still among the most enjoyable matches of the year to date. WCW continues to own 1990.

• 4 weeks later...

Will echo everyone elses thoughts as I figured this would be another good match from these teams where they just threw them out there to fill up a show, but wow this was a great snapshot of what is great about these teams and the spot everyone has talked about truly was one of my favorite moments on the set so far.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Lance Russell and Teddy Long doing commentary. Gibson smacks Lane good in the face. Nice slingshot into a backbreaker by Eaton. Don’t think I’ve ever seen that one. Ha, Nice Patrick does a leap frog in the ring which helps the Rock n’ Roll turn the corner. Patrick has some good hops. That ha potential to be botched. Freebirds down to distract and Midnights get the win. Really good match. Cornette has been getting roughed up quite a bit.

• 3 weeks later...

Fuck Roderick Strong, Bobby Eaton is the real messiah of the backbreaker.

Fun southern tag sprint here. The only thing I didn't love is the finish. Not the interference, but right before that, Eaton eats a tennis racket shot, which is somehow used as a transition to a side headlock. Considering how the racket is often sold as death, it feels weird here and annoyed me a little bit. But otherwise, this is a great tv match that puts heat on the Freebirds in a way that TBS will actually show and keeps the MX strong for thir US Tag Team Title bout.

• 1 year later...

This might be a throwaway on TBS's C show, but you wouldn't know it by watching these five guys (including Nick Patrick) work. Eaton in particular is pulling out moves I've never seen before, and it's glorious. Nick's leapfrog might seem overly showy to some, but better that than standing there waiting to get bumped. like some refs do. I know there's a time and place for ref bumps, but most of them show no athletic ability whatsoever, and you'd think that they'd have to have some type of athleticism to be licensed.

At any rate, the finish was bullshit, but acceptable bullshit considering that Rock 'n' Roll and the Birds had a program going. Count me among the minority that didn't like Teddy Long on commentary; there's only one heel who can get away with "hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil" while being entertaining, and he's on the other channel (Heenan, of course). He was good ragging on the refs, though, considering that his firing as an official was still relatively fresh in the fans' minds.

I'm not sure if I like Lance as much in WCW as I did in Memphis, as he seems much more theatrical, almost an imitation of himself. He's best with good ol' Davey, Billy, and the Kingfish (Brown, Dundee, and Lawler) right along ringside Saturday mornings on Channel 5. But I've heard him say that he had a great time working for Turner and made a ton of money, so who am I to judge, really?

• 1 year later...

I didn't know this match ever happened! Great TV version of a classic feud. My favorite part of the ref spot is Cornette losing it on the outside. Everyone else has brought it up, and I have in other MX matches but Bobby Eaton as the heel with cool offense but still has heat is such a great dynamic and a testament to how good he is. Also really ahead of his time.

• 11 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-04-22-NWA-Main Event] Midnight Express vs Rock & Roll Express