Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestlers you really dislike

goodhelmet

The Rock.

It's not like I don't get the appeal. The guy has IT, I don't even deny that. I'm not fucking blind or something. And he's had some great moments/matches. But I tend to think the high points have caused a lot of people to gloss over just how immensely, soul-crushingly dull his average points were. He had some periods (more so the pre-Hollywood Rock days) where he was pretty much literally doing the same promo every single week with the order of a couple of the catch phrases changed and it was amazingly dull, with matches to um... match. The People's Elbow is also a top 5 all time most retarded thing, as fun as it is. Let's not kid ourselves there.

I'm really on board with the Takada thing too. Which is funny because the Takada/Hashimoto IWGP title match is probably my favourite New Japan match of all time. But every great Takada match I watch I always feel like it's the other dude who is the better worker.

No one even talks about Muto anymore, so I assume we've all accepted he is (or was, at least) a very talented athlete but a completely braindead idiot who only stumbled onto good matches either through the other dude being smarter than him, or through raw serendipity and alignment of galactic energy fields channeling through him ever so briefly, right? Cool.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, I still like Muto, although he can be the most infuriating wrestler ever too.

I second the hate for the McMahons as in-ring performers. Shane was doing retarded stunt shows that would get him ridiculous praise despite raising the bar to absurd level in term of dangerous spots, coming from a guy who wasn't working more than a few PPv's a year. His match with Angle is one of the stupidest match ever. And Vince, oh Vince. I get the performance side of his character, but at some point you'd have to deliver some actual moves, even punches for god's sake, who don't look like complete fake shit. Yep, the McMahons becoming in-ring performers were a big time turn-off to me. To the point I really did turn off the TV.

Dick Slater post Mid-South. I liked him a lot in Mid-South, everything I can think that he did after that stint I really don't care for.

Jake Roberts. Now don't get me wrong, I love Jake as a character, I love Jake's promos. But really the guy doesn't deliver in the ring and his matches are always a big disapointement to me. He was awesome at doing the little things, but the problem is that he was only doing the little things, making the big picture seem minor and dull. Another one who peaked in Mid-South, and never delivered much afterward to me inside the ring.

Mark Henry. Average monster guy. Not that I dislike him, but I just think he's been insanely overrated over the last few years, never saw anything from him that would make me go "oh, he's damn good". Am I banned ?

Yumiko Hotta. I know I mentionned her already, but she's worth being mentionned again. Selfish piece of crap with an inflated ego who was giving shit and taking everything. Plus she was careless with her opponents, to the point of being dangerous or/and downright mean. I canno't forget that kick to the side of Plum Mariko's head. Fuck you Hotta.

The Fabulous Ones. Steve Keirn can kill any interest I have in a match like no one else. What a chore to watch. He even managed to drag Bobby Eaton down. Anyway, I guess it's not fair to Lane, but I don't think I ever saw a Ones match that didn't bore me.

Edge had his moments but overall I really didn't care for him especially related to his push. I liked him better with Christian in that era for sure.

How in the hell has Shane Douglas' name not shown up here. His forever seeming ECW title run was rough to watch when doing the ECW set.

Jumbo is the best wrestler ever and you are a fool.

Merry Christmas, everyone.

This is the greatest post in the history of this great sport.

I don't mind people pretending Jumbo is the best wrestler ever and I don't mind being called a fool because I probably am one.

But don't EVER wish me a Merry Christmas you bastard.

Would this change your mind?

Posted Image

Good god even that piece of shit photo of Brody pisses me off. Will said it best one time that looking at Brody and his entrances you expect the damnedest match of all time then get a bunch of laying around and shitty punches. Brody may honestly be one of my least favorite wrestlers at this point.

I am glad to have been one of the folks at the forefront of the "Hey... isn't Brody kind of shitty?" movement more than a decade ago. Which I think was predated a number of years by:

YOHE: "Hansen was better than Brody."

DAVE: "Well..."

YOHE: "Was watching a bunch of their matches, and Hansen carried that team."

DAVE: "Um..."

YOHE: "Brody's pretty overrated."

DAVE: *silence*

Other than the first quote, which was exact, that's a paraphrasing it. But that was from one of the early trips to TJ, with Steve way ahead of the curve on how great Hansen was and that Brody was overrated... and it not going over too well. :)

John

Sabu when he is on is great but that wasn't a whole lot and yes he could be one of the most frustrating guys to watch.

Case in point: there are people who really like him. Not just the old Bingo Hall Circle Jerkers, but more recent people like Jerome and Dylan who've rewatch a shitload of ECW more recently and with much more historical perspective than the BHCJ's. I still dislike him, and can't go long into any of his matches without getting annoyed by what he spawned.

Granted... whenever I do a full rewatch of 90s AJPW, there will reach a point where I just start hating the fuck out of Kobashi and Misawa for what they spawned. The question will be how deep into the 90s will I get before having that vibe, and then how much stuff after that point will be able to overcome it (like 12/06/96). My guess is... sooner on the first than happened in real time, and on the second... probably less than did at the time.

John

Eric Embry.

EVERYBODY slurps on this guy whenever Texas wrestling comes up. I just don't get it.

This is WAR MOTHERFUCKER!!!! And the reason I created this thread :) I wanted to see if a name came up that inspired me to create another wrestler thread.

I loaded my gun to fire the first shot in this war, then I realized that Eric Embry isn't worth fighting about.

Guys I dislike fall broadly into 3 categories, so I'll pick a representative from each of them:

1. Wild men. Kamala. The Samoans. George Steele. The Headshrinkers. Generally hate those gimmicks. I know Kamala has some fans on this board but he does nothing for me at all.

Posted Image

2. Internet darlings of the late 90s, especially from ECW. Since Sabu and Raven have already gone, I'll go for:

Posted Image

3. Guys whose reps derive almost entirely from the fact they were underrated or didn't achieve their potential during their careers. Poster boy for this is probably Terry Taylor.

Posted Image

4. My fourth pick is reserved for Pete Roberts. I hate that guy.

Posted Image