Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestlers you really dislike

goodhelmet

El Dandy was the best worker in Mexico in 1990, but Satanico is the greatest luchador of all-time (at least on tape and in my opinion.) I don't think there was ever a point where I thought Atlantis or Azteca were better. However, the demands of being a technico are different from a rudo and the latter two really stand out as excellent technicos. Great rudos on the other hand are far more common.

I also think watching CMLL TV week to week is better than watching a yearbook, but that's true of every promotion I imagine and not the fault of the yearbook.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Dory was the MVP of the '75 Open League, which is not a small feat considering that was a tournament that included Baba, Jumbo, Destroyer, Harley, Murdoch, and Horst Hoffman--not to mention Dusty and Abby. Dory/Horst is a MOTYC, Dory/Jumbo looks great even though we only have the last 10 minutes of a 30-minute draw, and he even has a fun match beating the shit out of Abdullah the Butcher and actually showing some fire. It's sort of damning with faint praise but that tournament also had the best Baron Von Raschke match ever.

This. A really good tourney out of Dory.

I'm drawing a blank on the match with Jumbo, as their other match from Classics sticks in my mind.

But Dory-Horst is fantastic, though a large chunk of it is Horst forcing Dory out of his safety zone. Dory-Abby may be the Abby match I enjoy the most simply because it's not really a standard Abby match. Dory-Baron is surprisingly good, to the degree that you really want to see the Baron in more "straight" matches from that era.

I like Dory a heck of a lot less than Pete, and probably am closer to Will's view on him (or even more extreme). But that's some good Dory in that League.

John

There arent too many guys i actively dislike. For the longest i hated Hogan and never even liked him as a kid. Add all the political bullshit and it made me hate him even more. As i got older i can appreciate what he does as a draw and charisma wise but i guess if i had to name a guy i disliked it would be him. Goldberg and Luger kind of fell in the same vein to me for the most part but even they have redeeming qualitites. Oh and Buff Bagwell, fuck him.

I dunno if Bagwell has any fans left now. Some folks will still defend his old Marcus Alexander tag work, but once he became Buff The Stuff he produced go-away heat from most people.

Dory was a hell of a lot better at selling than he was on offense. He was fine as a sympathetic babyface taking a beating and making short comebacks from underneath, but not so much when he had to be in control. I haven't seen much of his touring-champion work, so I can't really judge how he was at that.

Bagwell was a perfectly competent tag wrestler, and became better as Buff during his first year as a heel. He never was the same after the neck injury though, after that he relied almost solely on his character, and as much as early nWo Buff could be fun, babyface Buff the Stuff was just....

If/when the Portland set hits I could change my mind, but I have very little enthusiasm for the Sheepherders and the more I watch the less upset I get about what they became in the WWF. Before they turned into shitty comedy workers they were shitty brawlers. Tellingly the best 'herders match I've seen is against the Fantastics at Clash II and it's pretty much a straight tag and not a barbed wire juicefest.

I thought the really telling thing with them was watching how the Commonwealth angle in Southwest played out. There was a short run in there where Luke was on his own, and he's actual a really exciting, violent brawler. And then Butch shows up...and he's not. At all. And they start teaming, and Luke starts working down to Butch's level. Really weird thing to find out about two guys I used to not be able to tell apart at all.

As to the topic at hand..."really dislike" is probably too strong a term, but I was always very "meh" towards Bull Nakano. I honestly can't put my finger on why that is, but her work leaves me cold in ways that, say, Aja Kong's doesn't.

You have to see the Sheepherders in Memphis. They were at their best there with Johnathan Boyd being really great.

But wasn't that a completely different team? It wasn't Luke Williams and Butch Miller, it was Jonathan Boyd and Rip Morgan (and later Bigfoot ... I've seen some listings saying Bigfoot *was* Rip Morgan, but I distinctly remember Boyd saying he was a replacement for Rip. Can anyone get a definitive word on this?)

What is the general perception of the Miz these days? I don't read message forums nearly as often as I used to. I find him especially unbearable as a babyface. Between the terrible 'perched lips like a lemon' faces he always makes and the god awful lame "jokes" (not entirely his fault) in his dogshit promos, I find him the most unlikable babyface on the roster. So fucking forced and terrible IMO. It would take years to get me back after popping for his own mom joke in that Punk segment the other week. MizTV is awful. And this is coming from someone that liked the Miz up until he stopped facing Lawler. It seemed to be downhill consistently from there, and now he's Face Edge-like borderline for me.

• 7 months later...

Jake Roberts. Now don't get me wrong, I love Jake as a character, I love Jake's promos. But really the guy doesn't deliver in the ring and his matches are always a big disapointement to me. He was awesome at doing the little things, but the problem is that he was only doing the little things, making the big picture seem minor and dull. Another one who peaked in Mid-South, and never delivered much afterward to me inside the ring.

This!

Seriously, Jake was the man at promos,ring presence, and can play both face/heel but when the bell rings to start the match, it's over.

Lanny Poffo for me at the moment. I've been watching a ton of WWF house shows and I can't stand the skipping around and strange style he had and this is before the Genius crap. He has a few nice moves that were different at the time I will give him that, otherwise everything else is just so weak looking.

I always thought he should of been put in a long term tag ( maybe put him with Brunzell instead of Blair), now I'm not so sure after more viewing.

• 2 years later...