Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-04-12-USWA Texas] Jeff Jarrett vs Tom Pritchard

Loss

• 2 months later...

Excellent match, the best between them that I have seen so far, especially in the last few minutes. The title was held up going into this, and remains held up even after the match due to a controversial finish involving a ref bump and a dispute between referees. I am perfectly happy to see this feud continue!

• 2 weeks later...

Now Tojo gets handcuffed to Bill Dundee while Jarrett wrestles. Someone explain to Michael St. John what "turnabout is fair play" means. Tojo has been really great in this episode, incidentally. Solid match, with a re-do of the Flair/Fujinami finish almost to the letter. Multiple ref bumps in one show just exacerbates what a lazy booking trope this was becoming. Neighbors and Falk get into it after the match and the title is held up again.

• 3 weeks later...

Yanamoto now handcuffed to Dundee. I thought it was a really strong match with Pritchard doing all types of work on Jarrett’s back. Elbows, knees. He was relentless. The finish wasn’t the best with another referee bump and curious decision by referee on something he didn’t even see. But belt gets held up and we will get more matches so that is fine.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This is the second useless match in a row that I've seen from this feud. Yes, the moves looked pretty, but to what end? We almost get a fistfight between the referees, and in the end Paul Neighbors simply takes the belt and runs away with it. I didn't know that referees were allowed to hold up titles purely on their own initiative, but there's been so much wackiness in this whole feud that it's disgusting. To make matters worse, Jeff was recognized as Southern champion the following week as if Tony Falk's three-count was deemed valid after all. (This is the chain match from 4/19.) Will somebody please make sense out of all this bullshit, if that's even possible? Oh well, at least Neighbors had the good sense to stay down when he was bumped, unlike Bill Alfonso in the Flair/Fujinami match.

To make matters worse, Michael was awful here, with the example Pete cited earlier being just the tip of the iceberg. He miscalled some moves, just caught himself before miscalling others, and butchered the non-wrestling part of the language too. No, Michael, it is not an "auspicious" turn of events when a referee decides to kidnap the belt after playing "Mine! Mine!" with everybody else in the ring for five minutes. What the hell is this, Romper Room? I'm honestly surprised that that sequence was allowed to air, because it made everyone involved look amateurish.

I think my tolerance for Memphis/Dallas chicanery is starting to run low, and that's sad for me, because I've always gotten a kick out of it before now. But the constant unstopped heel beatdowns, the lack of blood in stip matches where the sole purpose is to allow the combatants to bleed, the piss-poor announcing from everyone but Dave Brown, all of this and more is starting to catch up to me. I'll be glad when my last USWA segment (Lawler/Embry in the cage) is finished for this month. Maybe some time away will put things in a new light.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm in complete agreement with garretta. USWA TX is starting to bore me to tears. All of these matches since the first month have seemed really generic and repetitive to me. The only guy I enjoy seeing at this point is Dundee, who ironically kind of seems like he's on autopilot compared to everyone else. What I mean by that is that you can see him calling spots and telling others where to go and smoothly adapting for blown spots, but you can also tell that Dundee could do what he's doing out there in his sleep, he's just that good at going through the motions.

• 1 year later...

Loss' #448. This was the first Jeff Jarrett USWA match I could find so it was impossible for me to consider it generic. I thought the action between Jarrett and Pritchard was strong and Jarrett looked like a much better worker than later on in his career, but the stuff with Dundee and Tojo on the outside was weak and Embry coming out at the end wasn't really vintage either. I appreciated getting a look at Jarrett, though.

• 6 months later...

I agree that Jarrett looked stronger in his early years than he looked later in his career, but I didn't get as much out of this as some. I thought it was fine, and I know the chain in the tights (or something in the tights) gets a good crowd reaction, but it seems they go to that well a lot during this period. Now, don't get me wrong. I love Jerry Lawler and Bill Dundee. I love Memphis and the USWA Texas stuff I've been watching over the years. So, I'm not hating here. I just think I lean towards this being more of the same (with a dash of good stuff from Jarrett) making it more of a good match than a great match for me. I think they are just in a little bit of slump, and I will probably get back into it full steam when it picks back up (I hope it does). I may have to come back to it, because some of the thoughts here by others make me think I just wasn't feeling it today. We'll see...

• 4 months later...

USWA Texas is even more reliant than Memphis side on the traditional Memphis nonsense. Must have something to do with being on ESPN and having to tone down the violence/no blood. Either way, great work that gets drowned out (again) by shit booking to continue the feud.

• GSR changed the title to [1991-04-12-USWA Texas] Jeff Jarrett vs Tom Pritchard