Pro Wrestling Only

ESPN's Grantland

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one appearance he made on Simmons podcast, I was stunned about how little he seemed to know historically. I don't consider myself to be on par with most people here when it comes to my knowledge but there were 6 or 7 times in a 30 minute conversation where he had me almost screaming at my Ipod over things he didn't know.

The only one I remembered off the top of my head was he didn't seem to realize that Curt Hennig was injured when he dropped the IC belt to Bret Hart.

This may be the worst wrestling "history" ever. How he managed this many inaccuracies in 2013 is beyond my reckoning.

If you or anyone else blogs about the book and mentions that very thing prepare to be levelled with the criticism you are too inside the bubble given the experience I had with one of his fans recently.

This may be the worst wrestling "history" ever. How he managed this many inaccuracies in 2013 is beyond my reckoning.

If you or anyone else blogs about the book and mentions that very thing prepare to be levelled with the criticism you are too inside the bubble given the experience I had with one of his fans recently.

That's the "out" Shoemaker gets with his stuff. He doesn't have to be even close to 100% accurate, because his tongue is just enough in cheek to play the "lighten up dude, it's just wrasslin'" card.

He has a niche, and it lies someplace in between the (very) casuals and the hardcores. He walks the line brilliantly and his writing style is easy to digest and appeals to the masses.

Um... I think we need Dylan to do the equiv of the classic Bret Hart Book Review on this thing. :)

Someone is interviewing the author next week. It would be super handy to have some issues to discuss with him. Anyone want to go through this thing and see how well he does getting things right?

They probably were going to hire Dave but backed out when he insisted on using a typewriter and white out instead of a computer.

They did hire Dave to do MMA. He lasted one article, apparently they went crazy with their editing so much so that Dave didn't even think it was his original work.

I'm around the same point as you Dylan.

Not sure what people expect, his writing is essentially a more refined Wikipedia excerpt and the book is playing out that way as well. It's interesting but nothing you probably don't already know if you have a basic wrestling knowledge. As has been stated, the target audience isn't really "us". It's more or less your friend that watched during the Attitude Era.