Pro Wrestling Only

Shoots Review and Preview thread

BruiserBrody

Vince Russo shoots on his time in WCW, the end of Bret Hart's career, how he really feels about Dixie Carter, his "racist" booking, his WWF writing success, why the internet marks ruin wrestling, making himself World champ and MUCH more!!!

"Hulk Hogan refused to go along with Russo’s plan that saw a ton of run ins and Hogan beating everyone off." - I know it's Russo, but that's gotta be a typo right?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vince Russo shoots on his time in WCW, the end of Bret Hart's career, how he really feels about Dixie Carter, his "racist" booking, his WWF writing success, why the internet marks ruin wrestling, making himself World champ and MUCH more!!!

"Hulk Hogan refused to go along with Russo’s plan that saw a ton of run ins and Hogan beating everyone off." - I know it's Russo, but that's gotta be a typo right?

Are you making a beating off joke? Otherwise, no. Hogan wanted the title, not a fuck finish.

Wait, he keeps saying how "entertaining" everything he did was despite the fact that viewers were actively tuning out of WCW week after week?

I used to think Russo was being some sort of obstinate troll to keep insisting his ideas were golden, but I'm starting to believe he has some sort of cognitive dissonance (delusions maybe?) where he seems to honestly believe it. He's like a real life Scooby Doo villain where his plans would have saved WCW and TNA if it wasn't for those meddling kids.

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/kayfabe-lies-and-alibis-screwing-bret-with-bruce-pritchard/#.U_XvEWP1vSh

Bruce covers his 22 years as part of Vince McMahon's inner circle, including being in the middle of the "Montreal Screwjob",defending Vince's Wrestlecrap worthy gimmicks, his own angles he created, working for Paul Boesch, his time in TNA, how close Hogan came to returning to the WWF in 1997 and much more!

I didn't care for the Matt Sydal interview myself. It was just going and going and going... but nothing of note was really said.

Yup and grossly under delivered on the not afraid to burn bridges thing.

Strangely I got the sense that he wasn't really holding back, he just generally had nothing noteworthy to say. It seems as though when he was in the WWE he was just happy to be there, I am sure he was thankful for getting his big break. And unlike guys like Ryder who have to go to TV every week and the company has nothing for him, Sydal was pretty busy in the WWE, Even if he wasnt on Raw and Smackdown he was often put in decent matches on Superstars to shine.

When the company lost complete faith in him after his second drug failure, he was never really seen from again, so it wasn't like he was dealing with these people who were ignoring him on a weekly basis.

Actually I thought the two year hiatus was a blessing in disguise for him, he had a good chance to let his ankle heal and not rush back to work while still picking up a pay check. For someone who wrestles his style, that time off from a such major injury can only put years on his career.

All in all though I did find the shoot to be rather tedious and it dragged at times. Highlight though is when they receive a question from a gay fan who thanks Sydal for being supportive of the community and Sydal automatically assumes it must be a rib.

I liked it except Bret believing in his own hype and occasionally steering an unrelated topic back to talking about himself. It would appear that it's true that he and Flair have buried the hatchet considering he put him over a little stronger than in previous interviews though still voicing his old criticisms.

Except the fact he worked a 45 minutes match with Davey Boy at Wembley and that his popularity in Europe was akin to Beatlemania, it was an interesting interview.

One of the most striking thing to me is that he said he doesn't like to call it in the ring and that he plans his matches beforehand (said the only time he had to talk during a match was against Davey because he forgot everything so he had to lead him though everything on the spot).

I'm sorry, what?! I can think of numerous times I've seen Bret calling spots behind that oil slick hair, and receiving calls too. That kind of makes me want to find examples. Maybe I'm just picturing SummerSlam '92 and the couple of years in a row DiBiase was blatantly calling to Bret at Survivor Series.

Bret referring to calling as a last-generation thing confuses me too, speaking of DiBiase. They're the exact same generation, debuted within a year of each other, yet DiBiase was a relentless in-ring caller who Bret has high working praise for.

I watched the Bad News Allen shoot over the past couple of days and it was fantastic. I remember him being a great guest on the old WOL Eyada show and this was even better, with a great memory for details and lots of funny stories along the way.

The interview also shows how much of a loss Doug Gentry was to these things as Feinstein had his prepared list of questions that he didn't tend to deviate from, but often Doug would interject after Bad News had answered and continue the conversation asking about something. An oldie, but well worth checking out if you've never seen it and this interview does seem to be the basis of Allen's obituary in the Observer.

Yeah, thats another side effect of there being only one major company left that I believe Sean (or maybe even RF himself) has commented on. In 20 years theres a strong chance there will be no convention or shoot circuit left, because the only wrestlers remaining will all be WWE castoffs and for the most part will only have the same stories about being in WWE that everyone else has.

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/kayfabe-lies-and-alibis-road-warrior-animal-and-demolition-dual-shoot-interview/#.U_yBJmPFMg8

Smash, Ax and Animal talk over breaking in the business, their stiff ring work, why the Road Warriors turned down Vince's money during the 80's, the LOD/Demolition feud, wrestling deaths, steroids, drinking stories and much more!

This isn't a good shoot. Brodus is very much a WWE apologist, and gets increasingly frustrated with the questions asked (exactly the type of questions he should have expected on a KC Youshoot, by the way).

He doesn't like the idea that anyone is 'buried' if they're on tv every week, he argues that because there's so much content it's only natural that some of it will suck, and his only comments on heat backstage concern some lightweight squabbles with Hornswoggle. I'd imagine that WWE brass would have absolutely no problem with anything he says here.

Having said all that, he's quite a funny witty guy, and likable too. This is just the wrong forum for him.

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/wwe/kayfabe-lies-and-alibis-bret-hart-wwf-timeline-1992/#.VAW-DmPFMg8

Bret Hart covers Hulk Hogan's steroid use, how close he came to signing with WCW in 1992, rants a lot about Ric Flair, Kerry Von Erich's drug use, brawling in the locker room with Roddy Piper, winning the World title and much more!

It's not really a shoot interview as wrestling itself is only discussed for about the first 20 minutes, but Kevin Steen interviewing Cliff Compton is an absolute joy. I don't think there's anyone in wrestling as funny as Compton. He tells a tremendous story. His yarn about meeting Sami Zayn for the first time going to a GnR concert together had me pissing myself.