Pro Wrestling Only

Shoots Review and Preview thread

BruiserBrody

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first story being Sandman banned from the venue (a sports bar) before even the very first show makes it worthwhile already. This is glorious.

It's even better when he talks about giving Heyman the book, but requiring that he has to give his approval of everything. "Paul E. would have burned down the building during the first year!"

The Monday-morning quarterback in me thinks Vince must have watched Live Aid and got the inspiration for it from that. Vince does have these big ideas, but if you scratch the surface a little it seems like it's always borrowed from something else. I think it's why they still celebrate the Attitude Era, because for once they were a little ahead of the curve in terms of pop culture.

There's a new pack of Nine Legend interviews out. The film itself was really well made and a great watch so I'll probably end up checking this out as there are some interesting names (apparently Robin Leach talks 80's WWF) but I think it's safe to say these are only audio interviews over the phone, and the "fancy" trailer is to compensate for there being no new video footage. I think box in box video footage could have been nice, even if it were Skype. The website says "commentary track" so that's what I'm expecting.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought Back to the Territories with Funk was disappointing overall. It was interesting to see once because it may be one of the last interviews taped with him and there was a kind of sombreness at times looking back and thinking about his role in wrestling. Some stories Cornette had to tell for Terry because he just couldn't remember. His stories about growing up and having the boys over his family's house were still really cool but I don't think much was new there and It went kind of all over the place. .

There were some little annoyances too, like throwing up a picture of the Harts when they were talking about Texas families and Cornette ranting about about Twitter for no reason at the end and Funk had no idea what he was talking about.

I have watched the first half hour so far and so far it is almost sad. While Funk's is still a pretty good storyteller it is becoming obvious that is getting really old now. His memory is going and he is repeating himself all the time. I am not saying that he is becoming senile, but is talking like a 82 year old, but not a 72 year old.

I thought this was a perfectly fine interview. Funk is 72 years old and lived a life like no other. He really wasn't repeating himself "all the time", not much more than anyone his age would, and he always had that soft-spoken voice delivery anyway. He was witty reacting to some of Cornette's stuff, with some dry humour, and told some hilarious stories (really, Bob Thornton, I'll never be able to *not* think about it). Sure, they didn't go into details about the territory, but what's more to be said about it really, more interesting than Terry Funk and Jim Cornette shooting the breeze anyway ? (yeah, the Hart picture was a rare production fuck up from KC, but the Twitter thing went on for about… 45 seconds at the very end… no big deal) Good stuff.

Jimmy Garvin covers his early days as a teenage manager, death threats from fans, fighting Danny Hodge, creating a gimmick that was ahead of it's time, the nutty WCCW fans, debauchery with the Freebirds, booking while drunk, why he left WCCW while business was still booming, how the Road Warriors handled being asked to job to Garvin, why the AWA feared Garvin would not be professional, how one of the WWF's biggest stars stole his gimmick, the day a hurricane hit his house, why he hated his JCP babyface run, why he never went to the WWF, and much more!

Stan Hansen covers Brody's death, breaking Bruno's neck, why he quit in the middle of a run as AWA champion, working with Vader, who he beat up in Memphis to get fired, why he never got a run in Mid-south, working Japanese style, the Desperados, teaming with Dibiase, battling Dr. Death, his family life and much more!

Funny that he apparently didn't want to get into details on why he left the AWA. Stan had defenses booked in Japan and Verne wanted him to drop the title so he left since he didn't want to break those commitments. Seems like a fairly innocent story by wrestling terms and not something you'd rather keep quiet.

Funny that he apparently didn't want to get into details on why he left the AWA. Stan had defenses booked in Japan and Verne wanted him to drop the title so he left since he didn't want to break those commitments. Seems like a fairly innocent story by wrestling terms and not something you'd rather keep quiet.

I'd wager that Verne wanted to break the deal they had worked out and Hansen wanted to keep Baba happy, so rather than paint Verne in a poor light 30 years later, Hansen took the high road.

Baron Von Raschke covers his early days as an Olympian, being a teacher, how he was given the Nazi gimmick, who taught him the claw, training with Verne Gagne, how Mad Dog Vachon almost scared the Baron into retirement, dealing with Bill Watts, heat with the Road Warriors, his brief run with the WWF in the late 80's, and more!

Terry Funk and Manny Fernandez join together to talk about many subjects including Dick Murdoch drinking stories, Jews (yeah they went there..), the need for an American revolution, college pranks, Dusty Rhodes' booking, the love making styles of Pat Patterson, bar fights, drinking with midgets and other wackiness!!

Tully review will be coming soon.

Jim Cornette and Paul "Percy Pringle" Bearer come together for this recently re-released shoot interview which covers how Eddie Graham's death affected the business, Pringle hopping from Florida to JCP to WCCW to the WWF, horror stories from the Dallas Sportatorium, Bearer getting backstage heat during his run as a WWF stooge, the men in power who tried to save Bearer's career, fat shaming, heat with Sunny, Taker embarrassing Bearer to get Vince to pop, Taker's secret nickname, Vince torturing Howard Finkel, violence in and out of the ring in WCCW and much more!