Pro Wrestling Only

Shoots Review and Preview thread

BruiserBrody

Interesting tidbit on RF's Face Off 18 Pearce-Sapolsky -

Sapolsky disagreed with Pearce jobbing out Danielson extensively in summer into autumn 2009. Pearce replied that Danielson was very professional and never voiced any misgivings that he may have had to him. Sapolsky said Danielson wasn't happy about it.

Thought this was interesting. Never came across any other info about Danielson grumbling about politics in RoH.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's bizarro world Jim Cornette as he defends Vince Russo and praises TNA. We also learn what angle enraged Corny so much he soiled himself, how little NWA Vince McMahon actually watched, how he learned to cut such great promos, what angle drove him to quit being a manager, and of course Jim Herd, Kevin Dunn, WCW and other topics earn scorn among other issues...

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/jim-cornette-qa-convention/#.VnZnFRUrLIV

• 2 weeks later...

Jim Cornette and Lance Storm look back at the glory days of Stampede wrestling and the Hart Family. The tale of how Stu Hart made and lost millions time and time again is covered, as well as road stories from the brutally long trips, twisted pranks, Bruce and Smith Hart insanity, the WWF buyout, and much more...

I just finished the Back to the Territories with Kevin Sullivan. I've seen the Duggan and Dillon ones, and this one blows them away. Listening to Sullivan and Cornette trading stories is tremendous. Highly recommended.

Kevin Sullivan and Jim Cornette take us back to the Florida wrestling glory days as they cover Eddie Graham's scope and legacy, how Graham worked politics in Florida's media and wrestling nationwide, tall tales of Graham's family history, Dusty Rhodes' connection to Jackie Gleason, the lengths that were gone to in order to protect kayfabe, controversies over the NWA World title booking, racist and Satanic angles, riots, why Graham committed suicide and much more!!

Good to see a double update, always enjoy these reviews

Thanks!!!

Chris Hero, Rob Naylor and Dave Meltzer join together to talk WRASSLIN! Topics include territorial wars, Joe Blanchard creating a "World title", wacky gimmicks, Hulk Hogan's 90's Japan run, Roller Derby, who invented certain moves, Misawa's neck injuries, ROH vs 80's NWA, great jobber bumps, and tons more!

• 2 weeks later...

One of my favorite shoots to date sees Greg Gagne tell the story of the AWA, he and his father's careers, plus a great deal of exaggerated and outright made up stories about Hulk Hogan becoming part owner of the AWA, how Gagne invented the nWo, his workrate outshining the NWA stars', how Verne nearly invented the UFC, his downfall as a WCW agent, his time spent working in the WWE, sexually harassing divas, slight burials of Nick Bockwinkel and Ricky Steamboat and much much more! A must read IMO!!

One of my favorite shoots to date sees Greg Gagne tell the story of the AWA, he and his father's careers, plus a great deal of exaggerated and outright made up stories about Hulk Hogan becoming part owner of the AWA, how Gagne invented the nWo, his workrate outshining the NWA stars', how Verne nearly invented the UFC, his downfall as a WCW agent, his time spent working in the WWE, sexually harassing divas, slight burials of Nick Bockwinkel and Ricky Steamboat and much much more! A must read IMO!!

This is a new shoot, right? Recently released?

Some of your write up talking about what Greg is saying rings true or mostly true. Some of what Greg is saying is a festival of BS and mis-rememories.

This one, for example, is a little of both...

"Gagne claims the High Flyers were put over Baba and Dory Funk Jr. in Japan as part of the World League Tournament. (Wrestlingdata.com has Dory and Greg’s only encounter being a Pro Wrestling USA battle royal)"

Gagne and Brunzell did compete in a tournament in Japan in April of 1984, and Dory and Baba IIRC were a team in that tourney. I believe Dory and Baba beat them, though.

Dory also teamed with Kerry Von Erich against the Flyers on the same tour and that match made tape. Flyers lost.

The Hansen story with the chair is possibly true, the Flyers did meet Hansen and Brody twice in that April 1984 tourney but neither match made tape. One went to a no-decision of some sort, and Brody/Hansen went over in the other match IIRC.

There is an interview segment from 1984 AWA TV with Gagne and Brunzell holding a plaque from that tournament, with Greg talking about it. It's not more than a participation memento, though. It was just a little 4-team mini tourney from memory.

Looking forward to getting that shoot (and picking it apart lol), sounds right up my alley.

You might want to drop me a line when it comes to questions if WD is missing stuff (better do it at S&W). Matt Farmer is also pretty good to fill in the blanks

Also, showapuroresu.com could be very helpful for pre-1989 Japan claims, in this case google for "gagne site:showapuroresu.com"

==>

48 9(国)
57 5(全)
59 3(全)

It's year, month, promotion. As it's Showa era just add 25 to every year. Thus it will be

1973 September IWE

1982 May AJPW

1984 March AJPW

and the matches in question are

Giant Baba and Dory Funk Jr. beat Jim Brunzell and Greg Gagne
Sanjo
April 21, 1984

Jim Brunzell and Greg Gagne beat Giant Baba and Dory Funk Jr. via cor
Yamagata
April 17, 1984

I forgot that there even was a PWF World Tag Team League

Magnum TA covers his epic battles with Tully Blanchard, his stiff wars with Nikita Koloff, working endurance marathons with the Nature Boy, being an ace performer in the middle of JCP's expansion, being Dusty's right hand man, how Baby Doll was chosen, a Starrcade surprise that was not to be and much more!!

Haven't kept up with the series over the last year or so. Should probably scope out some of the more recent ones.

There haven't been that many recent ones, honestly. They've been more focused with the WCW Timeline, and the Cornette territories series. The only ones I'm recalling, since Bruno, are 1981 with Martel and 1992 with Bret.

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/vince-russo-1998/#.VscnRvIrLIU Vince Russo covers his beefs with Cornette, Shawn Michaels' backstage arguments with Vince McMahon, Mike Tyson dropping Don King for McMahon, why Terry Funk wore a mask on WWF TV in 1998, Flair jumping to RAW during the attitude era, Heyman scheming to keep ECW's stars, getting heat with Brock Lesnar over Sable, plus much more!!

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/vince-russo-1998/#.VscnRvIrLIU Vince Russo covers his beefs with Cornette, Shawn Michaels' backstage arguments with Vince McMahon, Mike Tyson dropping Don King for McMahon, why Terry Funk wore a mask on WWF TV in 1998, Flair jumping to RAW during the attitude era, Heyman scheming to keep ECW's stars, getting heat with Brock Lesnar over Sable, plus much more!!

Thought this looked interesting from the trailer so glad to see you do this one, thanks for another great writeup! Looking forward to more.

Eric Bischoff covers his rise to power in WCW, controlling Dusty Rhodes' ego, THE SHOCKMASTER, the master plan behind who was cut and who he signed from the WWF, Mick Foley being a liability as a talent, Heat with Rick Rude, Missy Hyatt, Tom Zenk and others, trying to control Vader's violence, Hogan's cronies and much much more!

Checked out a bunch of KC shoots the past few days.

Vince Russo Timeline of 1998 - Surprisingly good. Vince Russo doesn't come off as the prick I always thought he was. I actually think he's more likable that Cornette these days. He gets a tad touchy when they bring up the Russo's bad booking moments, but he seems passionate about talking about the year as a whole and there isn't one incident of him forgetting anything that's brought up. Recommended.

Rob Van Dam Youshoot - If you can deal with RVD always bringing up 'positive and negative energy' every other sentence, you could sit through this. All the power to RVD though, he doesn't seem too fucked up compared to his peers and he's very honest. Recommended.

Rick Martel Timeline of 1981 - I think the Backlund years of WWE are the era that I know the least about, and judging by this shoot, I'm not missing much. There wasn't much to dive into for this shoot. It was interesting to hear how traditional Vince Sr. was (he didn't even like his wrestlers selling their own shirts), but overall, you better skip this one.

Martel 1981 shoot is not a good representation of the era at all. The host doesn't seem to have much knowledge of that time and most of the interview is based around generalizations and rarely do they delve into any specifics. Backlund era WWF isn't for everyone, but don't let this shoot dissuade you from giving it a chance.